Model Cars Magazine Forum

Let's Reveal Our Worst Build's

Not my least favorite, but still a pretty bad build. This is the Third incarnation for this one. First built box stock with the green plastic body in the early 70s, Then in the late 70's painted yellow (with fisheyes) and a snorkel hood and a hemi added. In the 80's it became a test bed for learning how to make an aluminum interior from printer's plates. It also got the lower posable front end and tubbed rear. The snorkel scoop got cut off with no paint touch up to follow. It's rough. But I like it for what it is.

Thames1LR-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Thames2LR-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Edited by Scott Colmer

Stand back and behold! :o I was sober, when I did this, although I may have been exposed to fumes. It was also the first car I attempted to paint with an airbrush, and has orange peel to spare. I think I used half a tube of Squadron green putty on it as well.

models046.jpg

models047.jpg

It later sacrificed some parts and an A-pillar to repair a fist editon of the same kit.

Edited by Zarana-X

I dont have mine anymore but I am sure it must have been Pyro's Cord 810 around 1973. I wanted the Monogram as the box art was better but the Pyro was cheaper.

I knew it looked wrong so attempted to correct the hood and cowl but it didnt work out. I hand painted it with white enamel staright over the deep green plastic and it took about a week to dry before I could put more paint on as the green plastic was a nightmare bleeding through.

I doubt it lasted long, sacrificing its engine for another project and maybe its wheels.

I still have some parts in my parts box from other kits going back to my earliest models but none from the Cord.

Needless to say, this didn't turn out well. And the moral of the story is: if you're going to punish a plastic model for being a suggestively packaged, poorly designed excrement heap, cover it in kerosene and toss a match on it. Kerosene burns slowly, which will allow you some time to enjoy watching it turn into an even less useful lump of plastic. Ah, catharsis!

Man, that is pretty sick, twisted, and diabolical.

I like it. B)

Most of my "junk" builds that I finished early on in my model building career have either been rebuilt or used as for parts but I do still have 1 that I had forgotten about until I saw this thread. It's a 66 Fairlane that AMT made I believe. It is the "Rides" edition so of course it has the way to big wheels. Its painted Ford engine blut with side pipes that don't line up with the molded-in exhaust. The hood scoop that was kit supplied didn't fit so I used a dremel to smooth out the glue spots left behind and you can tell it was my first time using it. The rear end didn't mate with the body so I cut the chassis at the gas tank and re-positioned it and painted it all black. I think it looks like ###### now but at the time I liked it. I'll post pics later as my camera battery is recharging.

I've been thinking about this one, something w/ pictures. All my stuff from my youth is long gone.

Then I remembered the resin "Miller" cars. I believe that is the name of the man that cast these, from old Banthrico promos I believe. These are as crude as they come, includes a body, a slab for a chassis, four wheel / tires, and two metal axles.\

MDL5-vi.jpg

MDL3-vi.jpg

No interior. Windows weren't even smooth, so I cut out thin gray plastic inserts. This was in the late 80's, iirc.

MDL2-vi.jpg

Same source for this Tucker. After paint & BMF, the foil started to bubble up. No paint issues, just foil!

MDL1-vi.jpg

Jeez, I found another one! (did I say that with pride? :wacko: )

It's a Honda City, iirc. Not so much the build, but those gawd awful homemade graphics. Printed them on our first printer waaay back when. Now I joke that it must have been set on about 4 DPI. They look like they are growing fuzz!

TOKYOPIZZA1-vi.jpg

Edited by Jon Cole

My worst builds were sacrificed to the fireworks gods a long time ago.

with a strip of glue as a fuse!!!

Same here. Styrene burns real good... :lol:

but those little black floaties got over everything!!!

most all of my worst builds never got built!! never made it that far...lolol

Edited by weasel

My worst since I started building as an adult was also one of the most fun. Our club used to do an anual 8 hour build. From unopened box to finished model in 8 hours. Its amazing some of the shortcuts you can come up with if you need too!

P1017379.jpg

P1017384.jpg

Well... I still have both my first model (Tamiya PAK40 anti tank gun, which looks suspiciously good since my brother built most of it!) and my first car model (Tamiya Morgan Plus Four), although both are at my parents' house so no pics.

I can remember enjoying making the morgan, which I painted with Tamiya sprays. I haven't actually looked at it in ages. I'm pretty sure there was a finger print in the pant, and the rubber straps supplied to hold the hood down drove me mad. I think one of them might have broken. It's covered in dust these days, but next time I visit the parents, I might try to dig it up and get photos.

Come to think of it, I have most of my early models still... of course, I got into models at around 14, so around 1997 or so, which means they are not as old as some peoples firsts.