Model Cars Magazine Forum

Good deal?

I picked this kit up for 5 bucks at Goodwill today, it was opened, but all the bags were still sealed, it is from 1986, and looks like from what the box says it is Fujimi tooling. Anyone have any more info?

post-136-0-96256400-1332017251_thumb.jpg

post-136-0-72310900-1332017376_thumb.jpg

post-136-0-90885500-1332017494_thumb.jpg

Friggin' sweet! Tom Kendall (friend of mine) told me he went to the local second hand stores asking why he hadn't seen model kits in a long time, turns out they throw them out. I confirmed a few weeks ago as I inquired for myself, they told us "Unless we know they are complete, we just throw them out." So if anything is open or built, they hit the dumpsters...VERY unfotunate, so I am going to have a chat with managers, to see if I can't leave them my phone number and email address, so that if they do get kits built or not, I can "donate cash for their trash"

Very nice that some stores don't just huck it if its opened!

Go easy there mate. Lee has started a good conversation.

Sam, thanks for sharing that a lot of these kits get tossed. Interesting, I have been going to the secnd hand shops with the hope I can find a good deal on an old kit. I too have found that they don't have them very often. Maybe that is the same issue around here.

I'll have to ask.

I picked this kit up for 5 bucks at Goodwill today, it was opened, but all the bags were still sealed, it is from 1986, and looks like from what the box says it is Fujimi tooling. Anyone have any more info?

Lee,

That is one HIGHLY detailed model car kit--in fact, so highly detailed, it almost resembles a fine Chinese dinner (every time you take a bite of one of those, the dinner expands to fill the spot where you dipped into it). Seriously though, Fujimi virtually rewrote the book on how model car kits should be made with that series!

Art

Lee this is a very good score indeed. Fujimi had some of their enthusiast Porsche and Ferrari kits boxed and sold under the Testors brand. I have only seen Porsche kits boxed as Road and Track versions. In any event, a complete Porsche enthusiast kit for $5 is a bargain. By the way Chris, I don't think it says anywhere on the box that it is a Fujimi kit. I believe it is on the sprue runners. Might have led to the initial inquiry.

Yeah, good score. Sam's right. I stopped into Goodwill here a couple of years ago and asked about the lack of kits. They told me that they huck them if they are opened. I left the manager with my name and number (TWICE) and told her that I would make a deal for anything that was opened or parts kits. I've never heard a word from her. How disappointing to think that they are going in the trash.

BTW- SAM, Now you have to split any finds with me!!!! :D

Later-

Edited by Modlbldr

An Awesome score from GoodWill.

I try and look every now and then and finally found something Great!!

Been trying to get one of these DieCast Dodge vans for a while but they have been too spendy ($40-$50+)

Goodwill, still in Factory box, 100% complete and perfect..

P3100003.jpg

Mirrors are still taped in the foam box.. :D

Just wish it was Plastic..

Edited by RodneyBad

What I don't understand is, you bought it, you have the kit right in front of you, you've stated it's the Fujimi kit.... So what's the problem you're having? You've identified the kit's manufacturer & obviously it's a Porsche... So what else did you want to know, seriously? I think you need to be more specific & if you really wanted more information on the particular car or kit... All the information you need is on the box.... It's the 21st Century champ... Google it. You would've spent more time creating this thread/post etc than you would've Googling for any information you were seeking....

Umm, that's what this forum is for, a wealth of info, not to mention, with dialup, searching takes forever. I dont understand YOUR animosity to my seeking info. You added nothing. Thanks to all you who had some good input.

I disagree with everybody else, Lee. That kit is junk. I'll be making a run to the dump next week, if you'll send it to me I'll be glad to toss it in there for ya........yeah, THATS the ticket..... ;)

LOL, for you Tommy, I have a great deal, you can drive it away for only $500 cash! :P

Lee,

That is one HIGHLY detailed model car kit--in fact, so highly detailed, it almost resembles a fine Chinese dinner (every time you take a bite of one of those, the dinner expands to fill the spot where you dipped into it). Seriously though, Fujimi virtually rewrote the book on how model car kits should be made with that series!

Art

Thanks Art. I almost passed on this, as it looked similar at a glance to another Revell kit I already did. I looked closer, saw the open trunk, and said, no, it's not the same kit, so I got it. Sure looks like a sweet kit. Any build issues I need to be aware of?

it is the Fujimi enthusiast 911 Turbo. Either the '85 or '76.

Very nice kit, seriously detailled.

The kit may be '86, but the car is either a '76 or '77. In '78 Porsche introdued the "tea tray" rear wing with the lip all around. I don't know where my kit is buried, but this one looks like a mix of both the Euro and US versions...no "Turbo" or "Turbo Carrera" script on the rear deck, big headlight squirters, etc. I started to build my kit...painted it a really nice metallic black...and then got a couple of the 1/12 Entex 911 Turbo kits instead. This 930 is more accurate as a US model, though.

Here's my '77 US 930 with Euro front fenders (with the side marker lights). Tiny squirters, "Turbo Carrera" on the deck, sunroof. I can't remember what scripts are in the kit.

1977Porsche930-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Edited by deja-view

Our local Goodwill stores (we have about seven within the metro Milwaukee area) all re-sell partial/incomplete kits. I've picked up about ten or so in the last few years, but only if they interest me or would be good trade fodder. Same for Salvation Army stores.