Model Cars Magazine Forum

selling collections

I've been looking at my collection of unbuilt kits (spring fever you know) and there's a lot that I know I will never get to. What is anyone's experience with selling lots to outfits such as ModelExpress and the like, versus selling on eBay or Emodelcars. I'm not looking for a bonanza of cash, more to clean out the attic. I am a total newbie to selling anything on-line as far as shipping, etc and don't want to get in over my head or have it end up costing more than it's worth. Anyone care to share their experience? Thanks in advance!

Generally you'll make more $$$ if you sell kits individually vs. selling an entire collection.

I'd say try listing a few on emodelcars and see what happens. It's free, no charges to list... so you have nothing to lose. It's true that you get way more exposure on ebay, but there are a lot of hoops to jump through listing items on ebay (and of course, there are fees involved). My suggestion to a person who's never sold anything online before is to try emodelcars first, especially if you're not necessarily in a hurry to sell or looking for absolute top dollar.

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/auction/

Guest Johnny

Selling in lots to re-sellers you will loose your proverbial butt on the deal. They aren't going to offer much per kit.

If you have the time you are better off selling a kit or three at a time on ebay or some other venue.

Craigslist. No shipping, you're dealing face to face so you can negotiate an equitable price, no post-sale accusations, no fees or commissions and you're selling to people in your community who will share your enthusiasm for the hobby.

Edited by Lunajammer

Some here locally have had good luck getting a table or booth at local car shows and swap meets!

I'm in the middle of nowhere here so there are no local shows/meets. I like the idea of emodelcars, just unsure about shipping. I'd sell all the kits for cheap $$ but I don't want to get stuck paying more for shipping than I get. What does it cost to ship, UPS vs USPS, insurance, etc?

Patrick, I'll put together a list and PM you, see if there's anything you're interested in. Thanks

Bruce - I am no expert at selling, but I have bought and sold about 700 to 800 (feels like more) kits in the last two or three years. I do it through eBay, mainly because I was already familiar with the process and It is the best place to get top dollar for collectible/rare kits. It is not difficult, but it is time consuming. Photographing, listing, packing, and shipping all take their toll on your time. I usually limit it to what I can get shipped out quickly - about 20 to 30 models per week (it's a part time job).

It's also important to look at what kits you have. If you have some older, collectible, and rare kits, I would definitely list them singly on eBay. If you have kits that are not rare, are recent releases, etc., eBay becomes a lot of work for kits that will not really bring in that much. When buying on eBay, purchasers will factor in shipping, so the sell price is lower on a kit that they can get from an online store or LHS. You end up spending time photographing, listing, packing, and shipping on a deal that may only bring in a few dollars (eBay will take a cut - from the TOTAL TRANSACTION, INCLUDING THE SHIPPING COSTS. Then, Paypal will take their cut. All in all, it's probably about 10 to 13 percent of total). Then factor in cost of tape, paper or labels, ...it's a hard luck life.

So, what to do with the more common kits? You could bundle them on eModelcars or eBay. The first model is the most expensive to ship - additional weight doesn't add the same amount, so people can save buying more kits and spread the cost out.

You could go with Craigslist - although I have really mixed feelings about CL. You will waste time with no shows, lowballers, etc. Most people on CL think THEIR stuff is worth a mint, while everyone else's stuff is worthless - and that's what they offer to pay. Just my experience, though.

I have not sold to Model Express or other business - but know people who have. They will generally pay half (or less) of what they can sell the kit for and they may not want all the kits you offer - unless they can get the whole lot even cheaper on a per model basis. They don't want to spend on something they can't sell. It never hurts to call them and send a list to get an offer, though.

As far as shipping costs - I ship USPS priority mail. You can get free boxes from USPS for priority mail and print all the labels from home. Then you can schedule a pick up or just drop the boxes off at the PO - No need to wait in line (usually). A single model with box will generally weigh over 16 ounces, so shipping ranges from about $6 locally to $10 cross country. International is a whole different game, PM me if you decide to offer that and I can share what I have learned.

Again, I am no expert and have different ideas/experiences than others, but my 2 pennies worth!

EBay does have fees involved, no denying that. Also, those fees are higher than necessary (in my opinion), particularly since they've started charging fees for shipping costs, too. Listing is free for the first 50 items per month, so you don't pay unless your item sells; then, of course, the fees are 9% of the total of selling price and shipping charged. Also, if PayPal is used, there's an additional fee of 3% plus 30 cents.

On a positive note, eBay does provide a shipping label service through the Post Office, which allows for the USPS reduced online cost plus Delivery Confirmation Number (a necessity) free.

I would suggest you determine the weight of a representative model kit, including packaging (Post Office provides free Priority Mail boxes), with taping and labels. You should also remember any inside packaging materials you may use (peanuts, bubble wrap, tissue, etc.). Those figures should give you a basic idea of what a single package will weigh along with the 'fixed' packaging costs. The only real variable you will be faced with is zone location for shipping to Buyer. You can, of course, use eBay's Shipping Calculator, which will automatically figure a price based on location. You can include a handling fee to be added to this figure. Personally, I place a figure on shipping based on furthest zone from me so that I may provide a fixed rate. This protects me from losing money based on distance as well as allows for the occasional partial refund to a customer close by - a tremendous Public Relations gesture that often results in additional future sales.

Also note, if you have any unboxed kits, any package under 13 ounces will ship First Class for a fraction of Priority cost.

Admittedly, Craig's List may be a viable option for most people, especially in a highly populated area. I don't use it for a variety of reasons, but I am probably in the minority.

As mentioned earlier - you will realize much more if you sell the kits individually rather than as a lot to a Reseller.

I have used Upillar.com with no problems . Evil Bay , lots and Krak list , PLEAUSEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now if you want let me know what kinna stuff ya got . Meebie we can woik out something . I have a outstanding reputation within Hemmings Motor news . Ed Shaver

Well, taking pictures helps and then you can post it over to the Emodelcars. Remember EBAY will take a cut from the listing price.

15-20% from what I hear from one of the LHS's I go to. That's their profit, ebay's, from the shipping and what the item(s) sell for. That store also sells on Amazon...they take 15%.

Bruce- I wouldn't mind seeing what you've got. I've been in a buying mood lately. Add me to the PM list if you don't mind.

Edited by The70judgeman

pm me a list to please!/.....

shipping you can do what i do sometimes....if they buy like two kits and dont mind you breaking the boxes down and sticking the kits individually in a freezer bag....you can flat rate 2 kits for the same price!,,.,....again...pm me a list and lets talk! ;)

I am thinking along the same lines Bruce but the difference for me is that there will be some local shows over the next 6-12 months that I can drag my stuff to and get a table. Like you, I really don't want to get involved with online selling and shipping, mainly because I travel with my job and don't want to put it on my wife to handle.

Sounds like the best thing you can do is try emodelcars.com and see how that goes. I would definitely include shipping costs in your prices as it ain't cheap to ship stuff out these days. Besides, if you are dealing with fellow modelers, we should understand very well what you are dealing with.

I think I will do the list and PM it to forum members when that day comes as I would rather see them end up in a good home.

Let us know what you decide and how it turns out for you!

Thanks for all the responses and great info. I haven't forgotten you guys, been under the weather the last few days and trying to put together a list. I'll be PMing those that were interested soon. I don't suppose there is a way to send the same PM to multiple recipients?