Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ever have a real head-scratcher?...

Its easy because for the most part the kits are cheap, say ebay cheap and with out the shipping, its so easy to hand someone a ten dollar bill for a kit.

But when it comes to buying on line, I only buy kits on line that I want, so there is no, why did a I buy this, it does happen from time to time, but I think that happens with anything

I never found myself wondering why I bought a model but I do have several I don't remember buying. The closest thing I've done though is for years I was buying 1/16, 1/12, and 1/8 scale kits. Eventually I had about 2 dozen of them. all of a sudden I realized that if I built them all I would have no space to display them. So I sold them. Luckily they had gone out of production so I made a handy profit.

Depending on the kit, I'll buy at least 2 of them if I REALLY like the kit, and usually I'll build one, and rob parts from the other for different builds. For instance, the Revell chopped '49 Merc kit... I haven't built one yet (because everyone else IS... I like to wait a good length of time for the hoopla to be done for that kit), but I've robbed parts for other builds from the 2nd kit (engine, chromed reversed wheels & tires, tooth grille). I'll most likely do the same thing with the new chopped '48 Ford kit.

I do however have at least a dozen or more kits in my stash that make me scratch my head. ... why did I buy them?

I always have at least some sort of plan when I buy a kit (although sometimes it's just 'parts kit'). The problem evolves when I don't get round to building it, and it lands up in the stash for a few years. Then I notice it and think 'why on earth did I buy that?'. It usually tends to happen with plane kits. I've got fewer car kits in the stash than anything else really (apart from Star Wars kits I guess), so I tend to remember what they are for.

Last week I was looking in the stash and found one which made me scratch my head... then I remembered it was in one of those AMT four packs which I got on eBay because I wanted one of the other cars in it, and figured the others could be parts donors...

Eventually I stop scratching my head and kit thrash it into some sort of bizarre Sci Fi thing which has nothing in common with the original kit. My devotion to SF kit thrashing means that everything I buy has a purpose, even if it's just to sit in the stash for a few years until inspiration hits. (I'm more of an SF guy than a car guy you see)

Probably the closest I have come to this was seeing Revell's Dodge Magnum in my 'local' hobby shop (2hrs away from where I lived at the time), deciding against buying it, then the next day wishing I had of so ringing up and getting them to send it to me, thereby spending extra on shipping costs. And all for the little guitar it has :D