Model Cars Magazine Forum

WIP: 1/16 '68 Mustang Pro Mod

ClayK

Clay... Every Update tops the previous one. This is just one Incredible build you have here. I am amazed at your talent. Those pulleys are very nice and love seeing the chassis as a roller. Can't wait for the next update. Keep on doing what you are doing because you are Killing It!

Hi Clay,

I've followed you the last couple of years and to see the progress you've made in your building skills is truly inspiring. I thought you were awesome 3 years ago when I got back in the hobby but I particularly enjoy seeing what CAN be achieved and try to work towards getting better. Always look forward towards your next update.

Cheers,

Tim

Thank you guys...you are too kind.

Trying to pick up the pace and complete some of the big areas that have been bogging me down.

I got the rear tubs/filler panel cleared with DuPont 2 part clear. Technically, the underside of the tubs themselves should be matte, but I hate to cover up shiny clear. So I may leave it all shiny. I still need to add PE bolts to all of the flanges yet. And I need to redo my top filler panel I showed before because the clear got under the edge of the CF film on it, and kinda messed it up. So I will do a new one of those.

P8223541Z-vi.jpg

P8223542z-vi.jpg

I really like the look of it against all the metal parts of the rear suspension. And I'm really happy with how well it still seals off the body.

P8223547z-vi.jpg

P8223552z-vi.jpg

P8223546s-vi.jpg

P8223551z-vi.jpg

P8223554z-vi.jpg

I've also been working on the engine some more. I wasn't happy with how my valve covers were looking. So I took the plunge, and popped them off. I sanded them back down, and repainted them with Tamiya TS gold. I also made up some gaskets from sheet plastic and put those on the heads before reinstalling the valve covers. I think it looks a little sharper and cleaner now.

P8223548z-vi.jpg

P8223540S-vi.jpg

I also made a blower blanket from medical tape, painted with acrylic flat black. I wrapped it around the blower, and glued the straps down. The decals are from the Slixx 1/16 goody sheet.

P8223549z-vi.jpg

P8223550z-vi.jpg

P8223557z-vi.jpg

I've got a pretty tall to-do list planned for this thing this weekend. Hopefully I can knock some more big things off the list.

Thanks for looking!
Clay

Clay... Phenomenal work my friend. Please leave all the Carbonfiber shiny. It looks so good that way and makes the rear end comoonents pop with that Wow factor. I have to say some of the best C/F decal work a I have ever seen. I also love that you went back and redid the paint on the valve covers as well as adding the valve cover gaskets to the engine. Just that small little feature adds so much more to this already awesome build. You are reminding me alot of myself when something we arent happy with and how we go back and redo things to make them look right to us. I have done that to many and I mean many of my parts on the funny car..lol

Oh yeah you have set that bar for me and I hope to be half as good as you are some day.

Edited by Mooneyzs

I really appreciate the little details that make it look realistic

I keep looking at those welding heat stains on the suspension linkage parts - lovely how they taper/blend to nothing.

How did you machine the 'notches' in the ring between the blower pulley and its spacer?

PS0099_zps45fd05a2.jpg

Love the Micro Nitro Pro Mag. Did you use an anodized paint on it?

Clay,

I have to say that along with everyone else I am beyond impressed with your fabrication skills in model building. What gets me about this build is that it seems like we're following along with a build up of a full size car as you're leaving no stone unturned when it comes to detailing. What also impresses me is that your photography makes it seem like you're building a full size race car. Based on what you've done so far, I have no doubt that this is going end up being what I call "GSL Best in Show" worthy. I'll go so far as to say that it could very well end up being an IPMS Nationals "Best in Show" worthy. Keep up the outstanding work. Looking forward to the next update.

Ep

(Dad worthy since 1993)

I really appreciate the little details that make it look realistic

I keep looking at those welding heat stains on the suspension linkage parts - lovely how they taper/blend to nothing.

How did you machine the 'notches' in the ring between the blower pulley and its spacer?

Love the Micro Nitro Pro Mag. Did you use an anodized paint on it?

Thanks Ted.

Teh suspention links are actual stainless steel tubing. I just held them with pliers, and held a lighter under each end for a short time until they discolored. That was it.

The plate on the blower was machined on my Sherline mill. I first drilled 12 holes with the metal on my rotary table, then split the degrees, and machined a spot between those 12 holes. In the end it was overkill. It was too much. I should have just drilled the 12 holes and moved on. Now you can't see any of it because of the spacer and the blanket!

The MSD was painted with Tamiya clear red. It is easy to touch up if it gets knicked.

Thanks again!

Clay

Thank you for the other replies. Never had a Darth Vader reply before!

All I see when I look at this car is the stuff I screw up, so it is nice to hear that you guys like this project so much. I'm finally starting to gain some momentum on it. A few more body mods and it should be ready for primer, then eventually paint!

Clay

All I see when I look at this car is the stuff I screw up,

Well, to me, it looks like when you look at this car you see nothing then? ;)

I must say that you're doing an incredible job with this Mustang. Your previous builds havev been fantastic, too, so when you posted this thread here, I knew it will be amazing. Anyway I'm completely blown away by every update. Everything looks so nice and clean that I could swear it's a real car. Very nice work all over, and a good reference material for my Corvette Pro Mod build, which will be probably 0.00000000000000001% as good as this one. :)

Thanks Niko and Dave!

More progress...

I've started trying to wrap up all the body work to get this thing in primer. I had cut the molded in rear wing sides off a while ago. I began modifying it by extending the deck with some .040 sheet plastic. I also used my saw to open up a groove on each side for the new side plates.

P8283559z-vi.jpg

The new sides were cut from four pieces of .015 (I think) brass sheet. Once they were fitted and bent to shape, I solder tacked them together. I will go over these and sand down the solder, and drill holes for bolt heads to be added after paint.

P8283561z-vi.jpg

P8283564z-vi.jpg

P8283563z-vi.jpg

P8283566z-vi.jpg

I've also started on the rear parachute mounts/wing braces. Just the basics so far. A lot more to do here.

P8283569z-vi.jpg

And I have finally started on the headers too. Using a tip from Ted Bowe, at Ted's Modeling, I picked up a Du-Bro tubing bender. It actually came with some brass tube that I bent up here. It must already be annealed, because when I tried it with some K&S brass I had on hand, it didn't bend near as nicely. I'll use the 1/8" for the ends, and 5/32" slid over them for the main tube. I'll also have to get some smaller rod inside of them to mount to the heads.

P8283574z-vi.jpg

P8283575z-vi.jpg

P8283572z-vi.jpg

I've been working fast, and rather sloppy lately to be honest getting all these things roughed out. Now that I know they will work OK, I'll go back and fine tune things a bit. I'm hoping these headers go quickly now that I've got the bending out of the way.

P8283571z-vi.jpg

Clay

Clay... You are the master my friend. Fantastic update. Man those new sides for the wings are beautiful. I have the same Dubro tube benders in 1/8" and 5/32". I found the same thing happened to me the sample piece they gave bent much nicer than the K&S tubing. What I found out was the K&S tubings wall thickness was .014" and the sample tube fron dubro was . 019". Love the start of the headers. I will post a pic of my jig I made to solder my headers for my funny car when I get home from work. It may help but then again you may have already figured out a jig to solder them. Keep up the awesome work.