Model Cars Magazine Forum

Obscure Kits You Never Knew Were Made...Until Now

The datsun camper, i have that kit in my stash, its a great kit, and like everyone else has said, when i come to this site this is the first topic i look at. Keep them coming

Ive been wanting one for a wile . Did you build it or is it in the box.? It would be cool to see more pics of what the kit comes with.

How about thes little numbers.I'd like to get my hands on the Japanese kits.

ffe0189d.jpg3ef7961b.jpgbf8ad49d.jpg81d533f9.jpgf9c65102.jpg

The Leeza is currently available:

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10001068

A lot of the LS 1/20 scale kits were quite recently reissued. The molds seem to have ended up with two manufacturers, Arii (the 'big' cars) and Aoshima (the 'Kei' cars).

The Cervo was reissued by Aoshima:

kit003.jpg

The series also comprised these:

kit004.jpg

kit009.jpg

pic003.jpg

pic002.jpg

They should be still available from various Japanese online dealers.

That Datsun van has been issued by Gunze Sangyo with the same box art.

Now, that M4S kit I have never seen or even heard of before.

And these are the 1/20 LS kits that were reissued by Arii:

pic005.jpg

pic006.jpg

pic007.jpg

pic008.jpg

pic009.jpg

pic029.jpg

Note:

- there is also a '75 Nissan Gloria, but since it is the same car as the Cedric with just a different badge, I passed on it.

- there is also a '84 Toyota MR2 which I skipped just because I don't like the car at all.

Something I sure will regret in later life.

All these kits are currently available from the usual Japanese online dealers.

Edited by Junkman

I posted this in the "what did you get" thread, and I have been trying to find any info on the other kits. No luck. I know three of them had Vespa scooters and looking at the box art I can see at least 5 other kits in the series.

140fc5d6.jpg

4120f4a7.jpg

It includes the Vespa scooter, the cotton candy stand, and even the "cotton" candy.

178d0138.jpg

Anybody have any pics or info about the rest of the kits? An eBay search(s) yielded nothing and a Google search was not too successful.

I know that envy is one of the deadly sins, but I see myself being forced into it over this kit.

There seems to be a wealth of Japanese 'street scene' kits we have absolutely no clue about, except those few Fujimi and Kawai kits that pop up regularily.

Unfortunatley, the Japanese hardly use Ebay, for them Yahoo auctions is the main private trading platform. Since I know only very, very little Japanese, it is very difficult for me to navigate and I - of course - don't understand anything of what is written in the auctions themselves.

But the stuff you see there, is totally mindboggling. We are only exposed to the tip of the iceberg, if even that.

I have been trying to get access to the Japanese market for decades, but it has so far eluded me except for the usual online stores you all are familiar with as well.

Edited by Junkman

I have tried as well to navigate the Japanese auction sites and trying to work through a proxy type bidding system but with very little success - mainly because searching is too difficult for a one language person - English language. It doesn't seem the Japanese have as much interest selling to the global market as US eBay.

I am planning on a trip to Japan sometime in the next two years, so that may help!

I have tried as well to navigate the Japanese auction sites and trying to work through a proxy type bidding system but with very little success - mainly because searching is too difficult for a one language person - English language. It doesn't seem the Japanese have as much interest selling to the global market as US eBay.

I am planning on a trip to Japan sometime in the next two years, so that may help!

The Japanese private seller market is very difficult to penetrate and it makes me wonder, why there are not more entrepreneural people with the necessary language skills seizing the opportunity. Also, I don't believe that the Japanese people in general have no interest in selling abroad, they rather just face the same problem we face the other way around - they simply aren't proficient enough in reading and writing English.

Edited by Junkman

Thanks for the info . I dident know they were reissued.

You are very welcome.

I'd recommend to try HLJ, Kallan & Partner, and Hobby Search. You should be able to round them up fairly easily. IIRC they aren't even that expensive.

As far as I can see it, they do build into quite accurate models, albeit curbsides. The only real drawback I find is that there are no plated parts, so it's either Bob Shebilske, or Alclad, to the rescue.

Edited by Junkman

Spending some time looking at Japanese auctions sites yielded these kits (for Honda fans, like myself):

This kit is listed at 70,000 yen - do the conversion for fun!

c0l0rbub-img425x283-133215025553n8ih10092.jpg

With Airbrush?

600x450-2007021701865.jpg

I've seen and have some of the Entex larger scale Civics, haven't seen this one in 1/24 (I think this was 45,000 yen)

600x450-2007070500010.jpg

No airbrush?

omuraisu_shimokitazawa-img600x450-1323596633csxfey52223.jpg

Another one I have seen in 1/32, not in 1/24:

tonoga1-img600x450-1334974315byrjj728022.jpg

Would any of you be willing to part with one of them?

And Erik, re. the 1/20 Bandai Honda for 70,000 yen - a price tag like this is untypical even for Japan. Some of these people seem to list their items at these insane prices simply to show them off.

Here is a small excert of what was available in 1/20 scale.

Picture.jpg

Picture007.jpg

Picture006.jpg

Picture005.jpg

Picture004.jpg

Picture002.jpg

Picture001.jpg

Picture003.jpg

On this last page at the bottom right, you see the tools stored in the Bandai factory. I have seen them there myself in 2008

and Scott Hards recently told me they are still there.

Again, what you see here, can only be the tip of the iceberg.

Edited by Junkman

Christian - thanks for that spread - is that from Model Cars, the Japanese magazine?

I like the TN360. I have seen a couple of those kits filter through eBay (USA), but not many. Some of the 1/20 scale kits are great kits, in addition to being collectible - opening panels and full engine detail.

I have to get by on the more common ones and ones apparently nobody else wants...

22c3eba1.jpg

eBay, $11 :rolleyes:

Now, back to look through those pages of 1/20 scale kits...