Model Cars Magazine Forum

Obscure Kits You Never Knew Were Made...Until Now

Unfortunately I don't have photo's but way back around 1978 I built a lifesized flintlock rifle kit , no idea on the manufacturer but they did a range of rifles and pistols . The rifle I built was modeled on something used in Afghanistan from memory and was close to 6 foot long when built .

Yes, I remember a toy store going out of business here 30 or so years ago and they had handgun model kits - I didn't get any because at 9 or 10 years old, I couldn't understand why you would want a model of a gun.

The packaging looks right for the gun to be a Pyro , I'm still searching to see if I can find a shot of the one I built . I did find this site with a lot of Pyro models , they certainly covered a wide range of subjects ....

http://www.oldmodelk...age=1&manu=Pyro

EDIT , this looks similar but I don't think it is the exact one , I remember the barrel being smoother with embossed script along it , similar length though .

$(KGrHqF,!pME9o29-(hrBPkng)p6d!~~60_3.JPG

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pyro-1-1-Moorish-North-African-Rifle-G193-500-/120899575355?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c262d1e3b

Edited by sports850

The guns were made by Pyro.

Pyro%20C229-150%20DuelPistol.JPG

Pyro%20C200-150%20Army44.JPG

Pyro%20C225-150%20FrWheel.JPG

LS also made 1:1 scale gun kits:

LS%20P1201-1500%20Magnum44.JPG

LS7.jpg

Christian, most of the Pyro pistols have been re issued under the Linburg banner here . I bought a couple as Christmas presents just last year . They go together so so and can use some care when assembling . The key is some real careful detail painting on them ................Ed Shaver

Christian, most of the Pyro pistols have been re issued under the Linburg banner here . I bought a couple as Christmas presents just last year . They go together so so and can use some care when assembling . The key is some real careful detail painting on them ................Ed Shaver

I'm a pacifist... :P

I've seen the Lindberg reissues. They were tied in with the recent pirate craze triggered by The Pirates Of The Carribean trilogy in four movies, right?

For the live of me, I wouldn't have the skill to paint these realistically. That's Dr. Crankenstein's territory.

I just had a ton of I'll fiting Lindberg kits. To not want anymore

Lindberg sells kits from maybe half a dozen manufactures. They bought up tools (molds) from a number of companies that went under. Pyro, Hawk and IMC are just a few along with old school Lindberg molds. So a kit may be a state of the art kit like the 66 Chevy, decent kit like Little red wagon, or really hard to build like 48 Lincoln kit. So don't condemn every Lindberg kit or you may miss a nice kit.

Christian, are all (or most) of the photos you are posting from your collection? not collection of photos of course :D , collection of kits? or are you finding them on the net and reposting or something? i am floored at the selection you are coming up with and lately particularly those motorcycle kits and that sushi. incredible.

count me as one more who thinks this is the most interesting thread in a long time!

I posted this in the "what did you get" thread, and I have been trying to find any info on the other kits. No luck. I know three of them had Vespa scooters and looking at the box art I can see at least 5 other kits in the series.

140fc5d6.jpg

4120f4a7.jpg

It includes the Vespa scooter, the cotton candy stand, and even the "cotton" candy.

178d0138.jpg

Anybody have any pics or info about the rest of the kits? An eBay search(s) yielded nothing and a Google search was not too successful.

Christian, are all (or most) of the photos you are posting from your collection? not collection of photos of course :D , collection of kits? or are you finding them on the net and reposting or something? i am floored at the selection you are coming up with and lately particularly those motorcycle kits and that sushi. incredible.

count me as one more who thinks this is the most interesting thread in a long time!

Some of them I find on the net and repost. But most of them I actually have.

I don't have the Kleeware BMW, but I have the Airfix one. I have a lot of kits I don't post, because I don't consider them that obscure, despite they probably are. I mean, I can't post them all. Plus, I don't want to appear using this thread to be a show off.

Oh, and yes, I ordered the Aoshima Sushi kits from HLJ, but they haven't arrived yet, so what I posted is a repost from the internet.

And yes, I have a quite eclectic motorcycle kit collection of which fairly little is posted so far.

There are some very cool and iteresting kits, some I wouldnt mind building

I just had a ton of I'll fiting Lindberg kits. To not want anymore

Lindberg sells kits from maybe half a dozen manufactures. They bought up tools (molds) from a number of companies that went under. Pyro, Hawk and IMC are just a few along with old school Lindberg molds. So a kit may be a state of the art kit like the 66 Chevy, decent kit like Little red wagon, or really hard to build like 48 Lincoln kit. So don't condemn every Lindberg kit or you may miss a nice kit.

The Lindberg Charger kits are some very nice kits, not a lot of problems with building them