Model Cars Magazine Forum

Unboxing the Revell 1/12 Shelby GT 500 Finished 5-17-12

cobraman

Man Ray that sure looks nice, you are coming out smelling like roses on this build. Looks like you have been pretty successful with no issues with the build straight out of the box.

I wanted to post up.... Look what I came home with today for $18.00 and some change! I guess it was 50% off and the 40% coupon or something, either that or the lady at the register punched in the wrong price...

IMG_3693.jpg

I wasn't aware that this mustang was this big when compared to my 1/16 stretched pro mod corvette... NOW I just have to buy one more mustang and can get started dissecting them.

You got the kit for 18 bucks ? Thats a killer deal. I thought I did good getting it for 40 % off the 60 dollar cost. Maybe I should go back and see if they have another on sale. I would buy another in a heartbeat for 18 bucks. I hope to shoot the satin black lower portions of the body tomorrow and then finish this thing up. It is a great kit that goes together very well.

Cobraman,

Sorry to post on your thread about the mustang. I was wondering if you had any trouble putting the rims & tires together. I think its strange how they go together. I was told to start my own thread about my build but I was just asking a simple question.

I like how it's coming together so far! However, the only issue I have is using the white stripes on a yellow car, especially since you used the black wheels. I think you should have painted a pair of black stripes instead. B)

Wonder why they didn't include other color stripe decals? The 2012 has like 5 different colors overall (red, blue, black, silver, and white.)

The tires do mount the wheels different from the other models I built and it's more like mounting a real tire ( kind of ). About the white stripes on a yellow car...... I can't disagree with you we all like what we like and I thought about painting black stripes on to tell you the truth but decided against it. i think the white stripes kind of tie in with the interior stripes and to be honest was looking to do something that is not the same old, same old.

I like the color combo. It's not so heavy and "Darthy" like so many.

I wonder if a set of those wheels and tires would fit under my '65 resto-mod Mustang vert????? Can you post the diameter of the wheel and the wheel/tire combo? That might be exactly what I'm looking for. Revell/Mono used to send replacement parts. I wonder if they still do?

^Indeed they still do. I just got a 2nd set of tires from them free of charge because I told them my little puppy chewed up my other ones...which it didnt...hee hee :) Now I have a second set of tires...one for the '67 Corvette and one for the '69 Camaro I just won on eBay for $33 shipped!

Sorry to hijack your thread. Any progress? Shoot the black yet?

Yes, I did the black. Car looks a lot different. No photos because the batteries in the camera died and I had no spares. The car is actually almost done and I hope to finish it before the weekend is over. I have to say again that this is one sweet fitting kit. I will try and remember to get the tire/wheel dimentions posted as well.

Shelby is finally finished. Build pretty much box stock and only added some BMF. As I have said before, this kit almost falls together. Sure it is a simple kit with no special features or options. I do wish they would have also included black stripes on the decal sheet. Yellow may not be for everyone and I can sure understand that but as I built it the yellow grew on me and I do like it. Comments good and bad are welcome.

thursday004.jpgthursday005.jpgthursday002.jpg

I like the yellow and white stripes, but your link to Photobucket says it's deleted.

It does sit higher than I thought it was going to....something that was commented on as you were building it. That must be common to the kit.

Did you ever get a measurement of th ewheel/tire diameter?

Ray , It turned out Super ! I personally like the yellow with white stripes . I think all of the dark colored , Darth Vader looking cars is what turned me off of Mustangs .

The only real issue I see with this kit is the ride height . But that seems to be the norm nowadays .

Really nice build .

Bob .

Thanks guys. Yes the ride height is too high. If I do another ( and I may ) I will have to address that. Tire wheel measurments are abou. tire.....2 1/4 and wheel.....1 3/4. These are approx.

Thanks. Are those in scale supposed to be 18"...19"...20"??

I was just looking at all the new GT500's. Apparently, the 2010 model used 18" wheels, then went up to 19" for 2011 and 2012.

Holy lead sled, though. The convertible weighs in at 4025 lbs. No wonder it needs 400-500+ hp to get it going. :o And that was down 50 lbs from 2009.

Edited by deja-view

Thanks. Are those in scale supposed to be 18"...19"...20"??

Not sure what the "real" wheel size is, 20"s ?

Well very interesting... I have exact measurements from my wheels. They are 1.6905" to the outer lip. Inner Tire diameter when not stretched over the wheel is 1.6365" which scales out to be a 19" wheel/tire combo. I get the width somewhere around .8565" when scaled is a 10" wheel but that is measuring with the wheels still in the plastic and not put together.

Based on my google search it says that is a Size: 19" x 9.5", 5 Lug, 4.5" Bolt Pattern with a "Hyper Silver" finish. They also make the wheel in an 18" wheel factory stock.

So with all that said, LOL... I would venture to say they are a scale 19" wheel.

I hope this helps out.

Edited by eviltwincustoms

I pulled out a set of wheels and tires that are pretty close in size to what this kit has. They are way too big to use on the 1/12 scale '65 Mustang. You could open up the wells on a plastic version, but on the diecast Mustangs it would be ridiculous...or at least I'd have to start over with the whole car. Not a bad thought for the next one, though.

Cobraman, your ride is cool. A shelby that is something other than grabber blue. Really great. I work at a ford dealership and work on these cars. They are just sooo fast it is incredible. In 2010 a special GT 500 came into our shop. It was Black and the stripes were carbon fiber looking with red pinstripes. The side stripes were the same with GT500 outlined in red. The interior was black with red stripes on the seats. I drove the car and thought it was faster than the others. It was a special order shipped to denmark. I looked at the paperwork and it was listed at 650 hp. The wheels looked like BBS wheels of the past. the wheels were also black with a red pinstripe on the rim. This was the coolest 2010 I have ever saw and also the fastest. The price was $75,000. I would like to build one like it, but do not have the skills , as I have only been modeling just over a year. Maybe you can create a car like it. Really love your build.

Thank you for the kind words. I really want to build another one and do some things different. I want to lower the suspension a little and probably just dull coat the wheels to tone down the chrome instead of stripping them. Also I want to paint the stripes so I have a choice of color. Not sure what those colors might be. I really do like this kit even though it is pretty simple.It goes together about as good as any model I ever built.

• 1 month later...