Model Cars Magazine Forum

Is Model building going to die off after our Generation goes?

So becasue of all that, new cars dont deserve to kitted?, just a question, I would like to see a 2012 Focus kitted, not that I would own one, but I still like it, well the hatchback version anyways.

The 2013 Focus ST sounds like it's going to be quite the hot hatch..that would make a good kit subject. I'm disappointed Revell hasn't kitted the Cadillac CTS-v in one of it's 3 bodystyles..one of the most badazz performance cars on the road today.

There are lots of exciting, fun to drive cars today...Mustang, Camaro, Charger, Challenger, various Cadillacs, etc...

Sure, if you are talking about the original ones!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Mustang, Camaro, Charger and Challenger being manufactured today all look exactly like each other and have the same amount of room inside them as a '72 Opel GT,

They are all a joke when compared with their original versions,

And the new Cadillac's, they don't even deserve the name Cadillac.

CadillacPat

Edited by CadillacPat

Sure, if you are talking about the original ones!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Mustang, Camaro, Charger and Challenger being manufctured today all look like exactly like each other and have the same amount of room inside them as a '72 Opel GT,

They are all a joke when compared with their original versions,

And the new Cadillac's, they don't even deserve the name Cadillac.

CadillacPat

Where does this delusion come from? You need new glasses. The Mustang, Camaro, Charger, Challenger look nothing like each other. The overall performance capabilities of today's Mustang, Camaro, etc far exceeds that of the originals, not to mention the reliability. Cadillac has some great cars today--the incredible CTS-v being one. I love my STS.

Have you even driven a modern car or are you just stuck in 1960 or wherever your happy place is? :)

Edited by Rob Hall

Where does this delusion come from? You need new glasses. The Mustang, Camaro, Charger, Challenger look nothing like each other. The overall performance capabilities of today's Mustang, Camaro, etc far exceeds that of the originals, not to mention the reliability. Cadillac has some great cars today--the incredible CTS-v being one. I love my STS.

Have you even driven a modern car or are just stuck in 1960 or wherever your happy place is?

Rob, if talk about Cars makes you so nervous and upset that you have to throw a tantrum then I really wonder about how genuine your comments are.

Be glad you have an STS and not an STD.

Tell me, don't they rate that Cadillac STS as a sub compact?????

CadillacPat

Rob, if talk about Cars makes you so nervous and upset that you have to throw a tantrum then I really wonder about how genuine your comments are.

Be glad you have an STS and not an STD.

Tell me, don't they rate that Cadillac STS as a sub compact?????

CadillacPat

I'm not nervous.. I have no problem discussing cars, but when people start spewing irrational nonsense, I call them out. The STS is a fullsize, by the way.

My wifes car is a 2000 STS, it's 300 horsepower from the factory. It will burn the front tires of it if you turn the traction control off. It will also cruise at 80 miles an hour all day and do so while getting 25 mpg and swaddling your butt in fine leather.

The 2013 Focus ST sounds like it's going to be quite the hot hatch..that would make a good kit subject. I'm disappointed Revell hasn't kitted the Cadillac CTS-v in one of it's 3 bodystyles..one of the most badazz performance cars on the road today.

If I am not mistaken, isnt the CTS-V based on the Corvette chassis, or frame?, its funny the Focus is one of the top selling and liked cars in the UK. I dont care for the sedan, but I agree the hatch is just cool,

My wifes car is a 2000 STS, it's 300 horsepower from the factory. It will burn the front tires of it if you turn the traction control off. It will also cruise at 80 miles an hour all day and do so while getting 25 mpg and swaddling your butt in fine leather.

And they say new cars suck :lol:

If I am not mistaken, isnt the CTS-V based on the Corvette chassis, or frame?, its funny the Focus is one of the top selling and liked cars in the UK. I dont care for the sedan, but I agree the hatch is just cool,

No, but the CTS-V engine is related to the Corvette ZR1 engine...the Camaro ZL1 uses a variation of the V-series engine.

Nice...I have a 2011 STS, RWD...great car...my sister just bought an '00 DTS last weekend w/ the Northstar...sweet car also.

Edited by Rob Hall

I think the XLR is based on the Vette chassis, it looks like a square version of a Vette. The CTS big v6 was so good they decided to make it the base motor for the new Camaro, it makes 304 HP from about three and a half liters.

Nice...I have a 2011 STS, RWD...great car...my sister just bought an '00 DTS last weekend w/ the Northstar...sweet car also.

I'm trying to get her to trade it for a CTS, I really want the rear wheel drive.

Guest Johnny

Put all the power you want in the STS and it is still considered an old man's car by most just by it's brand and size!

Pat haven't you figured out? It isn't the substance of the thread that keeps them here but the argument and when they get behind the double or triple up on the one they disagree with!

SOS different subject! :lol:

JD Power Model Age Profile (all 2008 models except the Lexus LS which is 2007):

Cadillac CTS:

Ages 16-35 - 12%

Ages 36-55 - 34%

Ages 56+ - 54%

Cadillac STS:

Ages 16-35 - 5%

Ages 36-55 - 22%

Ages 56+ - 73%

Edited by Johnny

I'd really like to have bought a CTS-V, but it was about $18k more than the STS....I almost bought the CTS coupe, but decided on a sedan for more practicality..

It's just the two of us and really the the CTS isn't much smaller inside than her STS and the newer cars are far more reliable. I want to get rid of the Northstar before it decides to blow a head gasket.

Put all the power you want in the STS and it is still considered an old man's car by most just by it's brand and size!

Pat haven't you figured out? It isn't the substance of the thread that keeps them here but the argument and when they get behind the double or triple up on the one they disagree with!

Double and triple up on what?, I am not here for the arguing, but with stubborn people here, that only see what they want to see, and pretend they are still living in the 50's, it makes hard to get any points across

JD Power Model Age Profile (all 2008 models except the Lexus LS which is 2007):

Cadillac CTS:

Ages 16-35 - 12%

Ages 36-55 - 34%

Ages 56+ - 54%

Cadillac STS:

Ages 16-35 - 5%

Ages 36-55 - 22%

Ages 56+ - 73%

Part of the age distribution is because the CTS and STS aren't cheap cars, they are bought by adults w/ solid incomes...these aren't entry-level subcompacts. I had a BMW in my 20s-30s and a Mercedes more recently, thought I'd buy American and try a Caddy..been very happy with it.

Edited by Rob Hall

Part of the age distribution is because the CTS and STS aren't cheap cars, they are bought by adults w/ solid incomes...these aren't entry-level subcompacts. I had a BMW in my 20s-30s and a Mercedes more recently, thought I'd buy American and try a Caddy..been very happy with it.

Kind how you dont see people for the most part owning Ferrari's or the likes that make less then $100,000 a year. Caddys have always been aimed at the older more well establish people, so its no wonder why the age profile shows that, but I forgot, Rob, since you are still considered young on here, you dont know anything either

Edited by martinfan5

It might not have been that way if Cadillac didn't put all their focus on the older clientele until it was too late.

Anyway, putting the thread back on track, I don't think the hobby is necessarily going to die off in the next decade or two, but it's going to evolve. 3d printing is going to have an impact in time, for DIY crafting of parts, the resin, etc aftermarket appears to be healthy, maybe another out-of-left field company like Moebius and Trumpeter will appear. At some point, I would think there would be a generational shift away from so many '30s-50s subjects to newer subjects.

Guest Johnny

It might not have been that way if Cadillac didn't put all their focus on the older clientele until it was too late.

They put their focus on the age/income group that has always been the customer. Albeit they did try a couple of ventures into a lower cost small car venue that was a total disaster! The Cimmeron being one although I liked the one I drove for a couple years.

The high horse power came as a way of catering to the aging boomers from the muscle car era that enjoy the high horsepower but want a luxury car too.

But that still would make it a poor subject for a model as the majority that drive it are the guys into the 40's-60's cars!

Not enough in the younger age group that would want it to make it worth tooling up for.

Back to the topic. Right now, the companies know where their bread and butter is. The plethora of 30's-50's new tooling coming along proves they know the vast majority of buyers today are the mature crowd. In 20-30 years and that trend changes, they will alter their plans to include cars popular with the mature crowd at THAT time. I don't think the hobby will die off, the subjects will change. Yes fewer kids start the hobby these days, but the hobby will still draw in folks that love cars, have an artistic nature, and can't afford to do it to the real thing, just like the rest of us.

Edited by Gregg
cleaned up

Back to the topic. Right now, the companies know where their bread and butter is. The plethora of 30's-50's new tooling coming along proves they know the vast majority of buyers today are the mature crowd. In 20-30 years and that trend changes, they will alter their plans to include cars popular with the mature crowd at THAT time. I don't think the hobby will die off, the subjects will change. Yes fewer kids start the hobby these days, but the hobby will still draw in folks that love cars, have an artistic nature, and can't afford to do it to the real thing, just like the rest of us.

Agreed.

They put their focus on the age/income group that has always been the customer. Albeit they did try a couple of ventures into a lower cost small car venue that was a total disaster! The Cimmeron being one although I liked the one I drove for a couple years.

The Cimmaron is definitely a car best forgotten..it was a car that hurt Cadillac's image for decades. I think their new small car (ATS) can do well with younger buyers.from what I've read so far, it's very competitive w/ the BMW 3-series and other compact luxury sports sedans..

Edited by Rob Hall

I agree that 3d printing will be a revolution for the aftermarket modeling industry. There was a documentary that aired recently about comedian Jeff Dunham and part of it was about him designing a new character. He had the head of the dummy printed in a 3d printer on a college campus and they showed some of the other things that came out of it. One of the things was a set of interlocked gears inside of a cage, the gears rotated and the perfectly smooth without any prep work. No more messy resin casting with molds that wear out all the time, just build your part in a 3d modeling program and send it to the printer. This will be a huge boon for the hobby aftermarket, small runs of anything you can imagine, if the units can be made into reliable home machines think about getting sites like this and trading 3d models of engines or wheels or entire cars even. The aftermarket my not even sell parts anymore but digital copies of parts to print out yourself. Imagine not having to wait weeks or months for a mold to be ready and parts to get cast and mailed to you, you go online in the morning and purchase the item you need and send it to your printer and be working on it by dinner time.

Consider this scenario for the 3-D printer. Use a 3-D scanner to scan, say, the chassis from the 1/8th scale Big Tub or any such model. Now, buy any one of the 1/6th scale engine models that are available, build it and scan it as well. Bring the engine into a 3-D program such as SolidWorks and scale it down to 1/8th scale. Print it in 3-D, modify the engine mounts if necessary, and now you have a different engine for your 1/8th model. Of course, this would work for any scale. Hand held scanners are pretty expensive, but a lot of colleges and TECH schools have stationary scanners that you could probably use. Anyway, something to think about, no?

maybe a bit "off-topic" but i saw one of these in silver recently and i thought it was quite nice and impressive. am i a typical Cadillac buyer? no, not even close but i'd have an Escalade to replace my Suburban if i could afford it, and that CTS coupe looks very interesting as well.

Cimmaron? wasn't that just a rebadged Chevy Citation :rolleyes:

Close...it was a rebadged Cavalier.. I'd love to see a CTS-v coupe in 1:25th...

on topic, someone mentioned that no one was pining for the model companies to do kits of 2012 subjects like the Focus? maybe not the focus but Tamiya and Aoshima both are coming out with model kits of the new Toyota 86 and Subaru BRZ and from what i've seen online in regards to the 1:1 cars and the models both are going to be hot sellers. while it seems most builders in the US want 50's nostalgia, the rest of the world is looking at the future and wanting kits of current subjects to build.

Yes, there are some good new releases coming out from Tamiya and Aoshima. I hope Revell announces some '12-13 Mustang (GT, Boss 302) and Camaro (ZL1) variations this year...I'd like to see them do an 11+ Charger R/T or SRT8 but I'm not holding my breath.

Edited by Rob Hall