Model Cars Magazine Forum

Let's get small- my first 1:43 Scale Build- Lola T-98 Daytona

Art Laski

I thought I would try something new, so I decided to try to build my first 1/43 scale resin kit. I bought this a couple of years ago from Model Car Masterpieces before they closed up shop, but just never got started on it. I wanted to take a little break from a long-term project I had been working on, so i thought this might be a good one to get "Done".

This is a shot of the real car, although I couldn't find any shots of the car as raced at Daytona, which is what the kit depicts. I'm pretty much just building it straight out of the box.

HU01_1999-vi.jpg

Here's what's in the kit:

LolaT98004-vi.jpg

The directions are kinda horrible. They consists of some pictures and some hand-labeled letters to try to point out where stuff goes, but it leaves a lot to be desired.

I started on the wheels and tires first, because I was really anxious to see what they looked like built up and decaled. They're not quite done, but close. I had to sand them down, so I chucked up a wheel in the Dremel and slipped a tire over it and sanded it. After the tires were sanded, I chucked up each wheel and spun them with a piece of t-shirt with some Blus Magic metal polish on it. They polished up real nice.

LolaT98006-vi.jpg

I painted the tires with some inexpensive craft acrylic paint, but there were some irregularities, like little pebbles or something in the rubber that showed through. So I got some putty and filled it in, which is visible on the tires here. I also put the decals on, which were fairly easy to work with.

LolaT98007-vi.jpg

I also assembled the rear wing and the wing support. I temporarily taped and clamped the support to the chassis to hold it while the glue for the brackets dried.

LolaT98009-vi.jpg

More to come...

Those are fun little kits, but the "instructions" do require some additional thinking compared to a mainstream injection molded kit. The decals are the other possible weak link in the kit.

I am definitely having fun with it. I'm glad Peggy gave me such a deal on it. It seems like a decent one to start with. I did notice that the decals took a while to loosen off of the sheet when I did the tires. I guess patience is the key there.

Art.......nice tutorial.......can`t wait to see this come together......I`m sure it will be another beauty. :)

Thanks, Johnny!

Welcome to the dark side...

Now you will never go back to the big ones...

Yeah, Gregg, I've been warned that they are addicting!

Good start Art

I occasionally will dig into a 43rd scale kit, it's a nice change...not necessarily any easier though! :wacko:

If the decals are "cartograph" they will need a lot of coaxing to lay down (lot's of setting solution), but they will eventually

keep up the good work, lookin' forward to seein' ya complete the model

c'ya

Welcome to the world of 1/43! Your off to a great start, Art. Very nice clean work on the wheels.

The instructions for 1/43 kits have always been very basic. Tameo has the best instructions for their 1/43 kits, they are also alot more involved.

Edited by surfjunke

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the comments, guys. I finally had a little time to spend on this one again. I was able to get the first color on today.

Red3-vi.jpg

Red3-vi.jpg

Red4-vi.jpg

I also got the chassis painted.

Chassis3-vi.jpg

And the cockpit completed.

Cockpit1-vi.jpg

Cockpit2-vi.jpg

Cockpit3-vi.jpg

And made a bracket to hold the wing for painting and got some primer on it and the wing support.

Wing3-vi.jpg

Wing2-vi.jpg

Thanks for looking!

-Art

Edited by Art Laski

"Welcome to the dark side...

Now you will never go back to the big ones..."

Gregg, I just completed my fisrt 1/43 kit, a Provence Moulage 1952 Aston Martin DBS3. A member of our club said the same exact thing when he challenged a couple of us to build a 1/43 kit. I and a couple of my friends have bought several more kits, they are fun and different to build. I'm looking to add even more 1/43 scale kits to my stash.:)

Edited by 58 Impala

Last night I got the decals on, and it went fairly well, considering how small they are. A few broke , but I was able to get them lined up, with the exception of the crack below. It was too prominent to let go, so I decided to mask and see if I could fill it in with a little flat white. It got fixed up OK...

DecalsandClear002lg-vi.jpg

DecalsandClear003-vi.jpg

After that was done and I touched up a couple of other spots, I shot it with some two-part urethane clear.

DecalsandClear005-vi.jpg

DecalsandClear006-vi.jpg

DecalsandClear007-vi.jpg

DecalsandClear009-vi.jpg

DecalsandClear010-vi.jpg

DecalsandClear013-vi.jpg

Thanks for looking...