Model Cars Magazine Forum

Photo hosting sites

I've been using Photobucket for years now, so I never needed to look for anything else. Only recently, when I started parusing the model car forums, have I seen Fotki.

I'm curious to know why so many people here (as well as on other car model forums) seem to prefer it over any other hosting site. It may just be me, but no matter what day it is, or what computer I'm using, half of the photos I see hosted there don't show up. Or, a photo will show up one day, but not the next. Is it just me? :wacko: I would think that you would want anything you hosted to actually show up for other people browsing.

Thoughts?

Well, I've been using both, Photobucket and Fotki. I prefer photobucket, it's much easier and pictures are easy to move on this forum as pictures. In Fotki, pictures are harder to upload (that might be because of my bad computer) and they are hard to move on the forums as pictures. In Photobucket just needs to copy that IMG-Code, and paste it here. Fotki is good one too, but not as good as photobucket.

I've seen other photo-hosting sites too, like Webshots. Anyway, I have never tried anything else, since photobucket works fine for me.

As you said, "It may just be me, but no matter what day it is, or what computer I'm using, half of the photos I see hosted there don't show up.", I have same problem with the Fotki. I don't know why, and problem may be my computer, but when I upload my own pictures on Fotki, the problem comes... Some of them can't be opened. I've found one way to solve this problem: Delete that picture what can't be opened and upload it again. Then it does show.

Only problem, I've had with Photobucket is that sometimes I reach the storage limit, but that's just because I post too much pictures. :lol: I've been using photobucket for 4 years (about that I guess) and I've had that problem twice...

So all in all, I prefer Photobucket. ;)

To each his own, I used to be a "photobucketeer" but moved over to Fotki, like it a lot more and personally find it the same as photobucket when it comes to posting photos. I prefer the way Fotki is set up more. You can still have both options though, I still do but prefer using Fotki.

I've had photobucket for years and have no reason to use anything else.

Same here. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." I've used Photobucket as my only photo hosting site. It's free, it's simple, posting photos from there to here couldn't possibly be easier, and I've had ZERO problems in all the years I've been using it. No reason to switch to anything else.

A screen shot of what I usually see as the typical Photobucket pic:

Photobucket-vi.jpg

A missing photo.

At least Fotki, I have to go to my Fotki album to find several missing photos (and I do!)

In other words, Photobucket disappears here, Fotki disappears in my albums. Either way... :angry: :angry: :angry:

The only times I see that is when someone tries to clean up their Photobucket albums and deletes a shot on the Photobucket site; that will also delete it from any posts where the image was pasted. After all, posted images are essentially links.

Likewise, if you rearrange your photos in your albums or make certain kinds of edits. You don't have to delete a photo to mess up it's link. Basically once the link is set, leave the photo alone if you want it to remain posted somewhere.

Someone once told me that free accounts are often moved around a host server and that is why pictures often show up missing. Supposedly a paid account is not treated this way.

I cannot say this if is true or not, just something I was told.

In my Fotki album I have a separate random storage album that I use to post photos from. That way I can alter my project albums without fear of breaking a link. I have a paid account because of the number of pics, but I also use Fotki as a "cloud" backup.

Edited by Chuck Doan

I use three different PhotoBuckets accounts, I have one thats just all models, then the other are random stuff that I want to post online, I have not had any problems with photo bucket yet. I also have a image shack account, but I rarely use it, its not as user friendly as photobucket is.