Model Cars Magazine Forum

Pontiac Catalina SD Rescued.

Lovefordgalaxie

Some time ago, I was given a box full of built models by a friend.

I did some rebuilds on the models, but the only one I took pictures of before doing the job was this Poncho, a Catalina Super Duty.

The car was painted with acrylic paint in a very nice tone of blue, but it was very scratched. Like the car was missing almost nothing, being just a little scratched and showing it's time inside a box full of models kept just one on top of the other, I decided to try to restore it, and also use it to practice on this particular kit, as I have one still sealed that I plan to build in the near future. For my luck, there was another Catalina inside the box, built as a junker, with lot's of what I can swear is Testors rust paint brushed on, with no chrome parts left. Combining the two, I could build one complete model.

Here is what I started with:

Volga001.jpg

Volga002.jpg

Volga004.jpg

The first thing I did was to disassemble the Poncho, and strip the body and floor pans with brake fluid.

421PontiacSuperDuty001.jpg

It took a week but most of the paint came off. The rest I removed with an old tooth brush and pine sol.

The first part to be repainted was the interior, where I used Testors red enamel, and then Testors acrylics:

421PontiacSuperDuty002.jpg

421PontiacSuperDuty004.jpg

The dark red, white and silver were all brush painted.