Model Cars Magazine Forum

Help me understand why some of you guys like kits like these

"Help me understand why some of you guys like kits like these"......I know you stated that this wasn't an attack,but in somewhat in a way it is,asking "Help me understand Why" and "Do you actually take pride in having built any of these"(ouch).......it's like asking 'why do you guys use blue paint' or "why did you build it stock",or why would anyone want to build a lowrider etc....its because the passion of the hobby or the likes of a certain thing or just the fact "Dare to be different".....

These can be just done simple and still take pride in the work like I did in my simple one,why because I did it myself and its a cartoon version of my favorite Camaro generation...or the can be done in such a masterful detail and totally out of the box creations made from "normal" kits as Ira has done,which by the way his creations are just awesome!!!,I am quite sure he takes pride in his as well as the other modelers who enjoys kits like these :)

Jussssssssss my opinion...not an attack.....Build what you enjoy and have fun doin' it.....

To me they fun to build. That is what this hobby is all about.

I build a large range of models from highly detailed to whimsical.

Also if you look at some of the "cartoon builds" there are some that have alot of scratchbuilding to get the look right. I enjoy watching these builds come together as much as the highly detailed projects that have been posted.

Also to the question of whether or not serious subjects were put on the back burner for the cartoon kits that may be the case but also how many modelers got started with these kits.

Finally build what you enjoy and have fun along the way.

bobthehobbyguy

This is the most arrogant statement I've read on this forum since I've joined. I find nothing worse in this hobby than people who have to slam others on their choice of builds. I'm sure this forum would be real fun to visit if everyone built the same thing. There are plenty of "real" builds on her I find ridiculous, stupid or just plain ugly, I do however, have an open mind and realize not everyone has the same taste as I do and keep my thoughts to myself so I don't offend others because their taste in building is different than mine.

I bet building this cartoon sprintcar from scratch took just as much work and skill, if not more, than detailing a "real" car.

Am I proud of it? YES I AM.

PC220083.jpg

PC220094.jpg

PC220096.jpg

Bloody awesome! Can you make another one, please?

Back to the OP - I don't understand the argument about the Zingers. The MPC Zinger kits are detailed replicas of a range of real show cars!

dyn008_original_700_549_jpeg_2585886_c8815a6f3cd7b3dd3c5807049194c3d0.jpg

Edited by Junkman

i got to say thats a pretty brilliant use of photoshop there! (the "real things" i mean)

i never had much attraction to these sort of cartoon kits but i have to admit i really like looking at them and appreciate them. i especially like when motion is built into them in a cartoony but realistic way. like that midget. i gotta repeat what christian said but i it did it in american "english" it would get censored! :lol:

Edited by jbwelda

Actually they're not Photoshopped. A version of the Volkswagen came around with the World of Wheels show late 70's. About 1/2 or 2/3 scale with 1:1 engines and wheels. I built a couple of the model kits but did nothing for me. However I love seeing what people do with them. With respects to Jim Johnson of Minnesota, I think this is being converted (IIRC) from the Monogram kit. That's some wicked crafting.

DSC03801.jpg

I don't like these "things" either, a waste of plastic and molds. I dislike the Tom Daniels stuff too. If the hobby had only these things to build, I would be in another hobby. I just don't like and never did like these Weird-Os, and other stuff like this. Sorry but I wouldn't waste my money or my time on these.

Patrick

Cuz this is America, and I can build whatever I want.

I have never understood the phrase "serious modeler". It's a hobby, it's not supposed to be serious. Let's face it, we are all grown men playing with plastic toys. How can I take that seriously?

I for one can't stand building factory stock models. They bore the hell out of me.

Right on brother, it's a hobby & a bit of fun man :) And yes when you look at it man we are all just big kids playing with toy cars lol

Hey Monte,

These are your words...

"Do you actually take pride in having built any of these?"

Are you kidding me?

DSCN2525Z.jpg

DSCN3279W.jpg

DSCN1957SA.jpg

Monte, why would someone do something if they didn't take pride in what they were doing?

Maybe you need to lighten up a little, there is more than one way to build a model.

Remember we are here to have some FUN!!! You might try it...

It's still not too late to enter the CAR-TOONS CONTEST!

Here is the link!

http://coffincorner....ad=16869&page=1

:D

Right on brother :)

oh i would have sworn that photo was montaged but if not they must have been pretty funny in person.

there has been a guy set up near where i do at the NNL west for the second year this year, and the first year i didnt really check out what he had there because i wasnt really interested in "cartoons". but as we were packing up i mentioned something about those being fun little builds and implied they were right out of the kit. well turns out pretty much nothing was out of the kit and the improvements he made made the things fantastic, added a bunch of "real" model car detail and they were some of the most impressive of what i saw there all day (and believe me, thats saying something!) so i certainly dont dismiss these creations in the least. and like i said they are fun to look at and can be as "serious" as anything anyone else makes.

Bloody awesome! Can you make another one, please?

Back to the OP - I don't understand the argument about the Zingers. The MPC Zinger kits are detailed replicas of a range of real show cars!

Junkman,

MPC did the zingers when they was the ones Denny Johnson entered there contest. I believe his inspirations was from Roth t-shirts. Then the ISCA had the actual show cars were built to replicate the models.

bobthehobbybuy

dyn008_original_700_549_jpeg_2585886_c8815a6f3cd7b3dd3c5807049194c3d0.jpg

I certainly can't, and won't speak for others, but I really enjoy just letting the creative juices flow with oddball models and other kits. I have done dozens of odd bits that have served as a severe creative outlet. Some of these little beasts have taken as much time to get the design right as some of my super detailed pieces. In all, I have to say that I have never built a model that didn't teach me something. Having said that, the sole conection for all of the models I build is that they all make me smile. I put 100% into each one and love them all when done. I think that makes me a serious modeler by any definition. There is no catagory or type of model that a true serious modeler would shun. I may not like them or want to build them, but if someone puts a good effort on the table, I repect that and admire their craftsmanship. Delving into the reasons for doing a type of model or the modelers motivation to build is a futile exercise. Just enjoy what you see. All of us are creating art and that is what we share. You, with your attention to accuracy are creating the illusion of reality. That is an art the same as the guy who does a Zinger, just a different perspective. All things considered it is all for our own personal amusment and pleasure.

Personally, I like to add variety to my building so the skills and imagination don't get stale. Here is some of the diversity in my building. It all helps me keep the thinking out of the box. Variety is the spice of life! :D

TS020-Fullshotfromadphotoshoot.jpg

frontleft.jpg

GTO2.jpg

bmwc.jpg

surfit.jpg

spareengine2.jpg

leftrear-1.jpg

Blueangels1.jpg

Edited by Pete J.

Who ever said these kits can't be serious, I love to wire and detail these kits, I have seen these kits made into peices of art and if anyone doubts me than go to dave's showrod rally and look through the guest gallery.

Some people like Fords, some love(me) LOVE bowties and some crave Mopar. Same differance, it's preferance, as an early post said" THIS IS AMERICA!" Next thing ya know he's gonna ask why Dr. Cranky wastes all that time building a detailed bucket of rust. To each his own brotha.

There are some types of builds that don't draw me in either. I have never been able to do the rust thing. If that's someone else's bag - OK. As for the Deals Wheels and Zingers. I'm hooked! Been building them since I was a kid. They are even more fun now! So many ways to work them into something else. David, Ira, and Pete- always been a fan of your stuff. Always will be. This plane one is probably my most favorite model. By building this I learned how to paint wood grain, make woodgrain panels and slats from shelf paper, make heat formed parts from plastic sheet, make rivets, make a piston steering stick, and make an engine turned dash. It's all in the imagination.

Scott

Final1-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Finaldetail3-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

FinalDetail4-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Edited by Scott Colmer

There are some types of builds that don't draw me in either. I have never been able to do the rust thing. If that's someone else's bag - OK. As for the Deals Wheels and Zingers. I'm hooked! Been building them since I was a kid. They are even more fun now! So many ways to work them into something else. David, Ira, and Pete- always been a fan of your stuff. Always will be. This plane one is probably my most favorite model. By building this I learned how to paint wood grain, make woodgrain panels and slats from shelf paper, make heat formed parts from plastic sheet, make rivets, make a piston steering stick, and make an engine turned dash. It's all in the imagination.

Scott

Final1-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Finaldetail3-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

FinalDetail4-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Now that is some serious skill development and crazy imagination! It really goes togeather well. Love the color. So what was it to begin with, and BF109? Nice piece Scott.

Edited by Pete J.

Thanks Pete! It's a reissue Dave Deal messerschnitzel. Here it is with the base kit built by Scott Carter.

Carter4-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

This is one of those models that the more I look at it the more I see. You really took the details over the top. Did you scratch build the floats? The rigging certianly looks right. And the open window is a nice touch.