Model Cars Magazine Forum

1:24 or 1:25 Steam engine/boiler?

You might be able to dummy something up with a cardboard tube, pieces of balsa for the end, brass or plastic rod/tube for the tubes, and a box of flat-head straight-pins for the rivets. The hinges on the back plate can be simulated with part of a plastic fork cut out, curved side in, or some flat/thin rectangle styrene strips for those. The stack can be made with styrene tube.

Prime with black primer, spray with gloss black paint, you're ready to go.

Charlie Larkin

I like the idea, Charlie- but I'm kind of trying to minimize the scratchbuilding for this particular project. B)

I suppose I should say the size is probably more important that the scale in this case- I guess I'm really looking more for something which will fit on the back of a medium sized truck, bi-scale or not.

Hi Chuck,

You might be able to find something in 1/50th scale diecast that would be suitable for your load. Some of those larger steamers might scale down nicely as a smaller unit in a larger scale. Check out Buffalo Road Imports http://www.constructionscalemodels.com/ They may have something of use.

Other than that the only 1/25 boiler that I know if is The General civil war steam locmotive.

Carl

Maybe use the engine parts from one of the Monogram steam locomotives?

I want to say one of the AMT or MPC fire-themed show rods also had a steam engine (someone was looking for parts for the kit not too long ago here), but it's not the AMT Firebug...Cinderbug, maybe?

Aitfix makes a 1/35 scale walking beam steam engine kit. I saw it in Squadron.coms catalog. But... It's 6" high and 7" long which would scale to 12' tall by 14' long... Maybe you could use some of it's parts to bash what you want.

That's a great find, CD (by the way your initials spell DOCTOR CRANKY backward!)

Chuck M. I wonder if this is the kind of project where you might have a bit of fun scratch-building the whole thing. Bill Borgen might be of help too.