Model Cars Magazine Forum

Just my luck, finally run across a model at an.........

I occasionally make a run through a very large antique mall close by, hoping to run across a variety of things, among them models. Finally ran across one, and it was just a darn AMT Chrysler 3000, either '03 or '05, can't remember. Really, I mean really, is that a kit-worthy subject? I know, I know, I guess it fits a niche in the hobby and there are those who would find it interesting, but heck, I just want to find racing subjects.

I remember going to the world's largest antique mall in central Ohio a few times in 2006 and not finding any kits, just a few promos that were real expensive and most were wrapped. What I did find were a couple 10 year old 1/18th diecasts, a '58 Edsel and a

'53 Ford F100 custom pickup. Not antiques by any measure but something I bought anyway. Years ago at a nearby antique mall in Phx AZ I found a booth that had lots of old kits. Not rare or real old kits but some that were nice and in good condition, not started or missing important parts and I stepped up and bought them. Eventually I bought every kit they had as I wanted the parts in some of the started kits or kits with missing parts. As time went on and I went back I found many nice older kits and bought them. That mall closed and I miss it. I rarely find old kits or kits at all in the antique malls but when I do I buy them. Now I have heard they re-opened about 5 miles away and I will check it out. Hope that booth is still part of the mall and has old kits. Patrick, "antique himself" old things hunter.

l bought one "on the cheap" to get the engine, susp. & interior for future projects. l've used the grille & headlights on a custom project already. Depending on what you like to build, there are some nice parts in it.

Local antique shop usually gets a few promos- though oddly they're usually not 'antiques'. They seem to get in quite a few Brookfield promos- the Brickyard Monte Carlos, Olds Auroras, and the like. I did get an original AMT 40' post trailer from them for a pretty good price, and that's where I found my Renwal '66 Packard.

I occasionally make a run through a very large antique mall close by, hoping to run across a variety of things, among them models. Finally ran across one, and it was just a darn AMT Chrysler 3000, either '03 or '05, can't remember. Really, I mean really, is that a kit-worthy subject? I know, I know, I guess it fits a niche in the hobby and there are those who would find it interesting, but heck, I just want to find racing subjects.

Niche? i thought Chrysler was a major us manfuacturer? at least it's something differnet than the endless repops of the 57 chevy.

Then, make a race car out of it!

CHRYSLER300CSUPERCARRACESERIES-vi.jpg

BTW, I assume you may have one too many "0"s in the car name. You mean to say "Chrysler 300".

Looks like the V8 Supercars entry when it was rumoured Chrysler might join that series (psst: texas 2013)