Model Cars Magazine Forum

Your opinion wanted!

Separate Under Glass categories?  

166 members have voted

1. 1. What is your opinion?

• Separate "Under Glass" categories
    • One "Under Glass" for all car subjects
    • Doesn't matter/No preference

As you all know by now, the forum has been rearranged. The hope is that most of you guys find the new arrangement a little easier to navigate and that it makes a little more sense to have the various categories arranged this way rather than the way they were before.

Now I want to "fine tune" things a bit and try to make this place even better.

I'm thinking of eliminating the separate "NASCAR" and "Drag" categories, and incorporating whatever is posted there now into one of three categories:

On the Workbench-Basically unchanged, all "in progress" car models, no matter what the subject, would belong here.

Under Glass: Stock, Street, Show, Custom

Under Glass: Competition (NASCAR, Indy, Drag, F1, etc.)

Doing this would eliminate the current "NASCAR" and "Drag" categories.

Please vote and/or let me hear your feedback.

I'd like to see it stay the way it is , with seperate categories for NASCAR and DRAG . It seems to be working fine and would probably confuse things if you changed it .

The changes you've made so far are great , so let the dust settle a bit before changing more .

BOB .

The only thing that would make it more enjoyable to me would be to have a "classic" competition & a "contemporary" competition. Nascar fell out of favor with me in the mid '70s. Pretty much drag racing too. I would spend a LOT of time in a "Classic Competition" section. I understand l'm probably in the minority here, but the current thread about Gassers could have possibly went without as much friction with a set up like this. I'm sure it would be more work for you & the moderators as well, but a guy can dream. Bart.

I kind of agree with Bob, I would like to have a competition section, merge NASCAR and drag section and create the competition section and call it a day.

X 2. Competition is a self-explanatory category. Also exposes users to other disciplines they may find interesting or they're free to ignore.

And 'Under Glass' should not be segregated-every finished model in one location has the same advantage as stated above.

Less work so you can have less hassle moving wrongly placed stuff.

Jus' sayin'...

X 2. Competition is a self-explanatory category. Also exposes users to other disciplines they may find interesting or they're free to ignore.

And 'Under Glass' should not be segregated-every finished model in one location has the same advantage as stated above.

Less work so you can have less hassle moving wrongly placed stuff.

Jus' sayin'...

I love NASCAR, but I aslo love other forms of racing, and it would great to have a section for those other series of racing.

Harry, you have done a great job so far, lets not go to far, lets use the KISS method , I think two under glass sections is plenty, one for trucks, one for cars, I think under glass for cars should include race subjects. ;)B):D

Edited by martinfan5

The basic problem now is that some people post finished NASCAR and drag cars in "Under Glass," while others post them in either NASCAR or drag. So basically you have NASCAR and drag cars posted in different places (their own specific sections and sometimes in the general "Under Glass" section).

By creating a separate "Under Glass" section specifically for Street, Stock, Show and Custom, and a second one for Competition, in theory at least, all the finished competition cars would have one home, and all the finished street/non-racing models would have their own home.

That's the reasoning behind my idea.

Ok... continue voting and commenting... :D

Maybe break off "under glass" into it's own heading like the general section and make the tag line something like "For completed auto related models of all types". That way the tag line is broad enough to capture all of the different branches of models here while still leaving non-auto stuff to the "everything else" section.

Ok , Harry .

Drag and NASCAR stay as they are , those guys have their own click and it works for them . I'm not a NASCAR guy but I do visit the drag section each day . Under glass competition section , I'd like that ! This way , I get to see a little bit of everything , competitionwise . Digging through drag and NASCAR combined really doesn't appeal to me .

Any other way , I'll side with Johnny , if it ain't broke , don't try to fix it !

I like the idea of one competition category.

That being said, a lot of peoples issues would be resolved if people would use clear, precise and informative topic titles when they start their posts. It would even make the search function more...well, functional. Just my $0.02.

Honestly, I don't see the point in having seperate "under glass" categories. If it's a finished model,regardless of the subject, it should be allowed in "under glass". I never have agreed with putting pickups in their own section. I know some people asked for it,but I certainly wasn't one of them. I think having all of these seperate categories for finished models is causing more confusion rather than curbing it. Why can't everyone be allowed to post finished models in the "under glass" section no matter what the subject is? I thought that was the whole point of having it.

I like the idea of one competition category.

That being said, a lot of peoples issues would be resolved if people would use clear, precise and informative topic titles when they start their posts. It would even make the search function more...well, functional. Just my $0.02.

To me, this is key to solving a tremendous amount of confusion. If you see a title you're not interested in, say a pro street or F1 build, just skip it. But I would be in favor of a Competition forum, with subtopics as in the revamped Trucks forum (depending on the history of hits, NASCAR might need its own topic and the others - F1, Indy, dirt track, Le Mans, etc - all lumped together).

And however it's segregated, having both On the Workbench and Under Glass topics is the biggest advantage this forum has over SAM, where you never know on what page (and there can be several) you'll find the finished build. It doesn't matter to me if there's one basic Under Glass section or if different forums have their own.

SLIGHTLY OFF TOPIC: I like the new diecast section, but I would hope that metal kit builders would be given the leeway to post in On the Workbench without being moved to that forum.

Edited by sjordan2