Model Cars Magazine Forum

69 DODGE CHARGER "PRO TOURING"

bryan_m

I think it would have looked alot more better if you hadn't shaved the door indents down like you did. It reminds me of the AMT General Lee kit doors. If the indents would have been on the doors the car would be popping alot more. Other then that, I really love the paint job out come, and the rims as well! Keep the updates coming please.

heres a preview, i got the driver side buffed out, it looks really nice and smooth, i have to hit it with one more compound, and then wax it. im hoping to buff it all tonight, and mask it off so i can shoot the vinyl roof......

buff5002.jpg

buff5001.jpg

more to come

bryan

What kind of compand do you use and did you clear the whole car before sanding and bufing.

John Pol

Hey Jon,

all three colors on the body(metallic black, pewter & red) are Duplicolor spray bombs,duplicolor is acrylic lacquer so it dries really fast, and is very hard. the clear is also duplicolor, i couldnt use my airbrush this time because my compressor died on me! so i have to get a new one......but anyways....

i prepped the body, and shot it with the silver first, you should always do the lighter color first, let it dry for about 4 hours ( i think) then i shot it with the metallic black......if theses colors wouldnt have been metallic i would have stopped there and let them dry so they could be sanded before the clear was added, but you cant sand metallic paint it "mottles" the mettallic flakes in it.... so after it was dry, i just lightly "denibbed" it, it has one small fleck of dirt in it, and a gnat! LOL

then i shot on the clear, again duplicolor acrylic lacquer. i think i put 5 or 6 coats on it, the first two being very thin, and then i just laid it on heavy for the rest of the coats.... i let it dry for 2 days befor i started sanding it.......

i started with 1000 grit paper, then 1500, then 2000.......and then i switched over to this polishing kit:

buff001.jpg

as you can see it goes up to 12000 grit! ive never used one before, so i thouhgt i would try it, and i gotta say it was well worth it!

once i made it to 12000 grit, i barely had to use any compound at all........

it seems like i have made a short story long here...........didnt i? LOL

anyways, i use 3m compounds.......perfectit 1, perfectit 2, and 3m or mequairs scratch remover. perfect it 1 is a bit agressive, and really didnt need it this time....but the other two worked out just great!

i guess my last sentence would have been enuff, i guess i felt like being long winded this afternoon! i hope this helped ya out! thanks for lookin.....

cheers

bryan m

Hey now, that's one sharp looking Dodge!! I like the Chrome Wheels !!

thanks! thats one vote for the chrome wheels!!

im actaually detailing them now, i added the knockoffs, and i think i will do the centercap red........whadday think? red center cap to match the pinstripe?

thanks michael!

bryan

unfortunately, these 23`s are all i have at the moment........all i have done to them was highlight the center of each arm in black, i do believe that they are cut out on the real ones......and i hit the centercap with some dullcoat. i was thinking of going dull on the cneter of the wheel where the slots are, and leaving the rest chrome.......

just a little detail..........oh, and ill add valve stems too!

wheels99003.jpg

wheels99004.jpg

im still thinkin dull on the wheel centers where the slots are..........not sute yet.

thanks for lookin!

bryan

I likey alotey!!!!! I do believe the red center cap would look great. Any thoughts of red wall stripes on the tires as well. If I remember right that kit came with thin red stripes for the tires on the decal sheet.

now thats an idea............lemme see if they will work!

bryan

now thats an idea............lemme see if they will work!

bryan

bummer, way too small!

heres what i did to the wheel........ i dulled the center cap of the knock off, and the dulled the entire wheel center, its subtle but still noticeable.....

wheel34001.jpg

it needs one more light coat of dull............

cheers

bryan

here they are.........the top one is regular chrome, and the lower one has had the center dulled out.........

wheel76002.jpg

wheel76001.jpg

thanks for lookin guys! thats about it for me for a little while, gotta go fuel up!

more to come later

thanks again!

bryan

The dull looks better . Have you thought of dark gray or black for the centers that you have the dull coat on ?

yea i was thinkin of gunmetal......but again i have gotten sidetracked. look at my "diggin up old projects" thread.......LOL i love it when an idea just leaps up off the bench and punches me in the face!! LOL

cheers

bryan

• 3 months later...