Model Cars Magazine Forum

58' Impala Lowrider (well sort of)

phil-east

hi all, This is my build of the revell 2 n' 1 58' Impala. I used it as an experimental build to try out a lot of things or the first time.

I had my first attempts at the following :

Cutting the plastic for body modding.

Using flocking for interior areas

Using BMF for the trim.

I cut the roof into a bar to learn as it would be easy to make it a convertible if all went horribly wrong but i quite liked the result so i kept it.

The BMF was really tricky at first but by the end i was starting to get the hang of it.

The flocking was really nice and straight forward.

I'm looking for constructive criticisms and feedback as this is my first attempt at afew things and you guys will no doubt be able to give me plenty of tips and corrections.

thanks for looking - phil

Here are the pics.

IMGP1197.jpgIMGP1198.jpgIMGP1199.jpgIMGP1202.jpgIMGP1203.jpgIMGP1205.jpgIMGP1204.jpg

You sure picked a tough one for your first attempt at BMF . Lots of trim on a '58 , but you did okay ! It gets easier after awhile .

Overall a nice looking build . Your paint looks nice and smooth , but maybe on the next one you should try a clear coat . It will really make a difference ! The interior looks really good with the detailing of the seats .

Looking forward to your next one .

i like it. color is great, as is overall finish

many thanks

You sure picked a tough one for your first attempt at BMF . Lots of trim on a '58 , but you did okay ! It gets easier after awhile .

Overall a nice looking build . Your paint looks nice and smooth , but maybe on the next one you should try a clear coat . It will really make a difference ! The interior looks really good with the detailing of the seats .

Looking forward to your next one .

thanks, i realised the 58 was a bit ambitious when i got started with the foil, i used tamiya pearl clear for this one as an experiment, not even close to the usual results but at least i know for next time !

Wow, it's a beauty with the roof cut out and the interior. Nice work.

Thanks a lot dr Cranky, i had my doubts about the roof but i'm happy with the results, still a bit of a shame to butcher an nice car like the 58' though !

Did those wheels come with the kit? They look like Intro Wheels (1:1). Nice BMF, it can be a bugger..

thanks, the wheels did come with the kit, i thought about using the stock ones but i have another build they are perfect for.

Nice work, learning to do something new is one of my favorite parts of the hobby. (right up there with sniffin' glue)

I agree fully learning new things is really rewarding , almost as rewarding as enjoying the glue a bit too much !

I like the roof and interior treatment. Paint/foil the hood insignia(s) like you did on the trunk.

cheers for that crazyjim, i seem to have lost 2 decals from the hood and the one remaining has slipped a bit low. I can't believe i didnt spot that before posting, Doh !! I'll BMF the lower one but i think the chevy logo will have to wait.

Have you ever wondered why people talk different and then there are accents? You threw me off with "cheers" and then I noticed you're from England. People say I murder the kings' english, but then I'm only me.

There's a chance that the wide V on a '58 Chevy was actually a gold anodized look instead of chrome. I just don't remember. Sorry.

The Chevy logo could be painted in red & blue with a pin, toothpick, or those little plastic sticks with a fuzz ball at the tip.

Can't see the flocking. Did you use slightly diluted Elmer's glue or just drop onto wet paint?

very true about the accents and language, i'm pretty good when typing but i guarantee you I am guilty of butchering the English language away from a keyboard (most of us from the north of England are !)

I'll check up on the V, and i might have a little practice with the toothpick method, thanks for the tips.

i used a white glue from my local hobby shop called "scenic cement" it worked pretty well, If you look closely behind the back seats I used the flocking for the rear shelf.

I am going to try my hand with home made decals when i get myself a printer up and running, i might make a chevy emblem for the front if the toothpick painting goes wrong.