Model Cars Magazine Forum

MUD BUG! Gettin' Dirty...Deals Wheels Style! Done: 11-12-12

Ira

• 2 weeks later...

I love it Ira, I like most models, but sometimes you have to go over the edge a little. VWs are great because a lot of builders don't think of them as an everyday subject to build. Cars that are built a little different really catches your eye. On mine, I used one of the old FC frames from the '70s that I had lying around and the "Bug-A-Boo" body cut short. Sometimes finding an old body and parts is more fun than building out of a kit.

CHASSIS FOR THE BUG!!!

I removed about a half an inch from the chassis and glued it back together...

DSCN7989M.jpg

I cut the rear of the chassis and added about a quarter inch strip of plastic to raise it to the right height.

DSCN7992M.jpg

The fit is perfect for the back of the Mud Bug, the front will need a little trimming.

I think I will add strips to the sides to increase the gluing surface to the body.

DSCN7995M.jpg

I added strips of plastic to brace the new chassis...

DSCN7998M.jpg

B)

WORKIN' ON THE ENGINE!!!

Here is the 911 Engine with a little paint and spark plug lines...

DSCN8012M.jpg

I cut out part of the exhaust system and replaced it with one large pipe. This will give me a good posiion for mounting the BiG "TUBA" Pipe!

DSCN8016M.jpg

Here it is with the New Supercharger attached!

DSCN8037M.jpg

I used some of "The Detailer" Black Wash to bring out the details...

DSCN8035M.jpg

B)

I love it Ira, I like most models, but sometimes you have to go over the edge a little. VWs are great because a lot of builders don't think of them as an everyday subject to build. Cars that are built a little different really catches your eye. On mine, I used one of the old FC frames from the '70s that I had lying around and the "Bug-A-Boo" body cut short. Sometimes finding an old body and parts is more fun than building out of a kit.

Thanks Tom!

Yeah, I enjoy buying old built up kits for parts & rebuilding too, it's Great Fun... :D

INTERIOR PANEL...

I added strips of plastic to the sides of the chassis to increase the glueing area to the body. I also cut away a little of the chassis to clear the front tires.

DSCN8040M_zps04f90fdf.jpg

The Interior Panel is too big for the New Hood so..I'll need to cut it down a little...

DSCN8044M_zps12819b7d.jpg

I cut a wedge section from the Interior Panel...

DSCN8047M_zpsf946f2e5.jpg

Then I glued it back together and into the body!

DSCN8052M_zps71895bd9.jpg

See how the bottom edge of the Interior Panel rest on the top- front of the chasssis. The body will attach to the chassis here!

DSCN8057M_zps7b35ae5c.jpg

B)

Edited by Ira

SKID PLATE!!!

The Rear Skid Plate turned out to be a Great way to mount the Engine and the BiG Rear Tires. I started by making a "T" shaped piece of plastic to fill the depressed area in the rear. Then I glued it in place.

DSCN8061M_zpsb14e71bf.jpg

I added 2 strips of half-round strip plastic on the Skid Plate and glued in in it's new location!

DSCN8066M_zps75dd20e2.jpg

I made a small piece of plastic to fit on the front of the Skid Plate to make it smoother...

DSCN8073M_zps5b34b104.jpg

Here it is in place. Both the Engine and Big Rear Tires will mount right here!

DSCN8077M_zps976b35c0.jpg

B)