Model Cars Magazine Forum

NO MATTER YOUR SKILLS, SOMEONE SOMEWHERE CAN TEACH YOU MORE

It seems to me that one of the real pleasures (and surprises) of the internet is running across people who do magical things with skills they've learned along the way. Wether it is airbrushing, scratch-building, or even using a particular tool for creating works of art.

This is not necessarily about building models, but it most certainly can apply . . . we grow our skills by watching others do wonderful things . . . like this:

If you are hesitant to use your DREMEL, well look what this man can do:

425092_449906588374849_565539096_n.jpg

The lesson of the day is keep your mind and eyes open for you never know where the influence (and impetus) is going to come from for you to learn something new.

If you have been influence by someone in another hobby and you've learned something new, feel free to share it here.

Best, DC

There are indeed a LOT of people who seem to think they have the only way to do things, and if you don't do it their way you're an idiot, and even when you SHOW them a new, better way, with proof that it works, they refuse to accept it. In business it's referred to as the "not invented here" syndrome, and I encounter it continually. Then there are people who absolutely refuse to benefit from the experience and expertise of others, though they have none of their own, and blunder through mess after avoidable mess. Again, I see this approach to life and learning often. The lucky ones are those who have sufficient knowledge to be able to filter the good stuff from the bull, and those are the ones who get to the end of the day enriched. Knowledge, experience, an open mind to accept the new, and critical-thinking ability to be able to EVALUATE the new, allow one to move beyond his or her "box", and continually develop skills and abilities.

There is such a huge amount of information available here that users can learn something every time they log on, if they so choose.

Frankly, there is so much real and true information on almost any topic imaginable available on the net, I'm amazed that so many people apparently choose to remain ignorant of so much, and to accept so much idiotic bull as the truth.

It's an interesting thing to remember about human nature and its workings, that the Wright brothers were constantly told that "if anyone had wanted airplanes, someone would have invented them already", and that it was YEARS before the doubters, naysayers and many aviation "experts" admitted that the Wrights actually HAD achieved heavier-than-air flight.

Personally, I'm just thankful that so many builders are developing tricks and techniques, and that they're open and generous enough to share some of them here. I am amazed at how much I didn't know only a few years ago, and at how much there is to learn.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Glad to see this topic , that is beautiful work . I started cutting coins or coin piercing as it used to be called , it is really

one of those things like watchmaking that is going away . A hand drill and jewelers saw is about all you need for this ,

and you can sell truck loads of them . I have volunteered to to teach a couple people but they were not interested .

nickel.jpg

coin.jpg

Edited by heatride

I've seen those egg shells before and they are truly works of art . I always try new techniques that I see on forums like this one , and most of them become routine very quickly . A lot of people won't use a Dremel thinking they can do it better with hand tools . For me , my 30 year old Dremel gets used almost daily when I'm working on model .

Stunning.

I love learning from others and being inspired by others. It is also very cool when someone says that you inspired them, that has happened to me a couple of times and I remember each one vividly.

This comes up at work on our intranet occasionally:

Learn from the mistakes of others, you don't have time to make them all yourself.

Or something along those lines.

I keep learning new things, and new easier ways to do the things I already Do! I have picked up several ideas for weathering from Virgil's Work and his Book. I have also learned some easier ways of painting from Donn, and others. I have learned a lot from The People on the Forum. I hope that I have also been able to pass on some of my knowledge to others on the Forum!

Oh yes! This is very true!. . I always anticipate to learn something new every day. In the terms of skill however most are correct, some people are set in their ways, and of course become very skilled at what they do, they just do not look beyond for "other" idea's or way's to be creative. . Kind of like a Routine that does not change. . But I suppose it's just a matter of building up to a certain skill level, then by confidence trying something alittle different or out of the ordinary. . Idk. . But in any case this is a great posting and a good idea to open the minds of many.

It is because of this forum, it's many builders and their knowledge that I myself have gotten many great Idea's, and learn many things along the way. . Thanks for posting this :).

We should never be afraid to at least look at new things... Maybe even try new things... You never know... You may actually learn something new... It's fun when you can learn something new every day.

I couldn't agree more.

The other disabled guys I help get into model building have taught me a few things even though I have been teaching/helping them. One really surprised me...he has natural born skill at it and does it with only one hand...I am impressed with him to say the least. Another has very poor eyesight and it does not even seem to matter when you look at his work. Anyone can learn something new every day you only have to keep your eyes and ears open to it.

"An organism must grow in order to survive. When it stops growing, it starts to die" is a quote I heard from the late Ray Kroc, founder of McDonald's Corporation in 1955 (while at a McDonald's Manager's Convention in 1980 or thereabouts).

Well, learning is a part of growing, so in a very real way, it seems to me that when we stop learning, we start to die away.

With that, I cannot begin to enumerate the sheer number of things, of techniques, of materials, that I've learned from other model car builders over the past now 60 years of building model cars (Yeah, I know, I'm a moldy oldy!)

Art