Model Cars Magazine Forum

'55 Chevy Bel Air

Gluebomber

First of all, thanks for all the kind words. I just got back from the IPMS Nationals in Orlando and the positive vibes must have helped because the '55 got a First place in its category.

David, to answer your question, I've been using Testors Metalizer as an undercoat for HOK Kandy colors for a while and have never had a problem. I like to use them because they don't have any "sparkly" flakes that look out of scale like some other lacquer metallic colors. I use automotive primer and sealer coats under the Metalizer and so far it's worked great for me.

Tom, so far I've only used Brass Metalizer as an undercoat for the Kandys. I've used it under HOK Brandywine, Tangerine, and Organic Green Kandy colors and it's come out great each time. I think the Brass is the most reflective of the Metalizer shades, so the effect the most dramatic. I've also tested Aluminum under the same Kandys and the effect is a little "cooler".

Be sure to use the Non-Buffing Metalizers. The Buffing shades leave a sort of powder that's meant to be buffed off, leaving a shinier metallic finish. I've always been concerned I'd never be able to get all that powder off before I started laying down my Kandy colors.

Hope this helps.