Model Cars Magazine Forum

Fairmont drag car build - Hanging/hinging DS door 8/10/16

Time for a small update. I started work on getting the seat mounted and pretty much finished prepping that tonight. I was also able to lock in the final position of the central frame rail system for the car. That will allow me to start working on the trans mount pretty soon. I started by drilling holes in the tabs I'd added to the central frame rail when I built it. I taped it in place and transferred those holes to the floor and did my best to determine where they'd hit the underside of the molded in seat mount. This series of shots shows the underside of the seat and what everything looks like when stacked together.

Not a very clear shot but you get the idea...

I discovered I'm going to have to mount the seat after I've installed the roll cage. Nothing like a small challenge. LOL

Body, seat and dash mocked up.

More to come! Comments welcome.

Nice job Scott.

Thanks Stan! I appreciate it.

Hey Tim. Thanks for the kind words.

Thanks so much, Len. It was good seeing you last weekend!

Got another couple pics of pieces that will eventually find their way on this build. I had some single- and dual-line clamps 3D printed for securing my fuel line on the car. They turned out pretty nice, I think. They are design/intended to fit Pro Tech .045" braided fuel line. Thought I'd share a couple pics of them.

dual_line_clamp_zpsf3750068.jpg

single_line_clamp_zps43e93aad.jpg

I'm hoping they'll clean up and work well. If that's the case, I'm planning to add them to my website as something available for sale.

Edited by futurattraction

Thanks Stan! I appreciate it.

Hey Tim. Thanks for the kind words.

Thanks so much, Len. It was good seeing you last weekend!

Got another couple pics of pieces that will eventually find their way on this build. I had some single- and dual-line clamps 3D printed for securing my fuel line on the car. They turned out pretty nice, I think. They are design/intended to fit Pro Tech .045" braided fuel line. Thought I'd share a couple pics of them.

dual_line_clamp_zpsf3750068.jpg

single_line_clamp_zps43e93aad.jpg

I'm hoping they'll clean up and work well. If that's the case, I'm planning to add them to my website as something available for sale.

Put me down for 6 sets of each size Scott.

I'm trying to expand the offerings in smaller scale, John.

Thanks for the kind words, Lou. I'm trying to treat each sub-assembly as its own little creation.

Noted, Len. Thanks!

Thanks Chris! It's nice to hear from you brother...

I made some progress on three different fronts over the past few days. In response to the question by John Buzzerio about if I was substituting anything for the cast lug nuts, I drilled out the rears (so far) and am a step closer to using studs and nuts. Still not sure if I want to get into wheel studs as part of the brakes or not, but at least it’s a step in the right direction. I’m showing a couple pics of the wheels as they are now. I will try to show a couple pics of how I got them to this point sometime later. It's amazing how tires seem to attract all kinds of dirt (and macro lens doesn't help!)

Littlebitofeverything012_zps231823bd.jpg

Back side with brake hat inserted

Littlebitofeverything013_zpsb44f3aaf.jpg

I also got a temporary pin/stand put in place to locate the fore-aft location of the engine/trans and started developing a template for the motor plate. This shows a couple-three angles of that. Although this engine and scatter shield is only for mockup, you can see the exhaust port plates on the underside of the heads. I’m also planning to use a dry sump system in this so it’ll be a much different looking pan.

Littlebitofeverything003_zpsfdfb9337.jpg

Littlebitofeverything005_zps4a53d69a.jpg

Littlebitofeverything006_zps54509d69.jpg

Finally, I got started on the construction of an overhead switch panel that will have separate toggles. I took some .060x.040 styrene channel and boxed it in with some .020x.060 flat strip, then cut it into sections and CA’d them together side by side. I’ve got to make a front for them and get the holes drilled where the toggles will go. I intend to run wiring out the back side of them in the long run.

Littlebitofeverything008_zps5065ea77.jpg

Sorry for the blurry pics. Couldn't get the camera to cooperate like I'd hoped... Front side of the switches has been trued-up. Rear still must be.

Littlebitofeverything001_zps3febf499.jpg

Comments welcome!

Edited by futurattraction

Scott.... beautiful work. I love the attention to detail. As far as the studs go in this and I just have to give my honest opinion. I think you should add them and reason being youbhave put sobmuch work into this and its just a little more to make it pop even more.

I will have to get some pics of a stuss and bolt I have thaybmay work perfect for the studs for your car. Now nothing says you have to make them removable bit i think having an individual stud and nut would look killer. The parta I am thinking of are from tuner 2B or something like that. I am using these parts ony steering gearbox mounts on my funny car but will get some pics of the parts for you.

Keep up the great work. Seeing your progress motivates me to get more done on my funny car.

Thanks Chris. I appreciate your expressing your opinion about the wheel stud situation. I'll look forward to seeing pics/getting info about the studs and bolts you're talking about. Not to sound slobbery, but you've had a tremendous influence on my build, as well. When I see how you've stuck with all the minute detaiing you've done, and "lived through" some of the two-steps-forward-one-step-backward situations, it's given me extra motivation to push through some of my own adversities.

I have to agree with everyone else. Superb work, Scott with the Fairmont. Truly incredible detail work all over. The wheels look really good, the screws that are supposed to keep the tires on place will be a fantastic detail. And I have never even thought that someone could do that in 1/25 scale. This kind of ideas are another good thing you can get from these excellent WIP threads.

Keep the updates coming, I'll need to get more popcorn!

Scott... I dug a couple of the parts out to show you for the studs. Now these are from Tuner Model Factory.

The Dia. of the stud is .7mm = .0275" which is equivalent to .6875" (11/16") in 1:1. I think 1:1 sizes are around 1/2-20 threads. these would be a smidge big but I think will work perfect :D

you could set it up where they are made to size and just glue them in the wheel with the amount of thread sticking out or you could make them functional to take on and off or maybe just functional and never take off...lol. I have to give you props for detailing the heck out of a 1/25th scale car. I know what I have been doing is tuff at times in 1/16th and know its even tougher in a smaller scale.

Here are the pics:

PlasticModels574-1_zpsd79fb29d.jpg

PlasticModels576-1_zpsd04bb713.jpg

PlasticModels577-1_zpsb58d35b9.jpg

PlasticModels579-1_zps3ebd556f.jpg

Scott... I believe that I picked them up from Bob at Scale Hardware a while ago but it looks as if he doesnt carry that product anymore. I did find tuner model manufacturing on ebay. I will have to see if I can find any other distributors that carry that brand.

Thanks Chris. I did some checking online last night to see if I could find distributors. Many of them are overseas and/or don't seem to carry those particular P/Ns, so was hoping you had a suggestion re where to go, ideally here in the States. I think these look cool enough, and are very appropriate, scale- and appearance-wise, so will go overseas if I need to.

You are welcome Scott. I just contacted a guy here in Phoenix to see if he can get those parts. He sells alor of race cars and studio 27 and top studio parts. I didnt think of him until now. Once he gets back to me I will let you know what I find out.

Yep, this is one fascinating build, Scott. Go for the studs and nuts- you've done so much with the rest, it would almost be sacrilege not to! I know you've been working on it for some time but how do you find the time to do it all?