Model Cars Magazine Forum

Fairmont drag car build - Hanging/hinging DS door 8/10/16

Thanks Bill. I'm looking forward to getting back down to KC and seeing you!

Thank you, so much, Ron. If I don't drop it again and cause another setback, I'm pretty happy with how it's turning out so far. Lost too much sleep last night thinking about how to attach the tin in the front end, make a wing for the deck lid, mount the PE trans tunnel so it's removable, finish the grille, and how to proceed with cutting out/finishing/hinging the door(s). No wonder I'm sleepy today... LOL

Thanks for your kind words, Bill. Lord willing, we'll be at Heartland. That's the plan...

Thank you, so much, Roy!

I appreciate your encouragement, Darryl. YOU do such nice work, so it means a lot.

I've done better the last few nights not dwelling on this when I should have been asleep. I think trying to get ready for the KC show has worn me out and kept me from getting my mind so wrapped up with this project.

Thanks Aaron. It's slowly getting there. Lots and lots to do...

I appreciate your encouraging comments, John. Your question about lug nut detail in the wheels is a great one. You know, I've been so wrapped up in all the other aspects of this build that the lug nuts had totally escaped my attention. Given everything else I've done, it would be sort of silly of me to gloss over those - so - yes, I will do something about them. That, then, begs the question, do I want to add wheel studs to the brakes. Not sure I'm going to delve into it quite that deeply, but you never know... LOL

Thank you, Gabriel. I think it's sort of cool, too...! :)

Thanks Danno. That makes two of us...! :)

Thank you, so much, Dennis, for your kind words.

I really appreciate it, Gene. I had a fun time today at the show. I wish there were more opportunities to do shows close® to home. It's a blast talking to guys and getting feedback and suggestions.

Time for a small update. I started work on getting the seat mounted and pretty much finished prepping that tonight. I was also able to lock in the final position of the central frame rail system for the car. That will allow me to start working on the trans mount pretty soon. I started by drilling holes in the tabs I'd added to the central frame rail when I built it. I taped it in place and transferred those holes to the floor and did my best to determine where they'd hit the underside of the molded in seat mount. This series of shots shows the underside of the seat and what everything looks like when stacked together.

Seat-chassis_mounting009_zps7db94008.jpg

Not a very clear shot but you get the idea...

Seat-chassis_mounting010_zps78972cb4.jpg

Seat-chassis_mounting008_zpse1f46d69.jpg

Seat-chassis_mounting004_zps460fc577.jpg

I discovered I'm going to have to mount the seat after I've installed the roll cage. Nothing like a small challenge. LOL

Seat-chassis_mounting006_zps01b9bded.jpg

Body, seat and dash mocked up.

Seat-chassis_mounting005_zps64d96504.jpg

More to come! Comments welcome.