Model Cars Magazine Forum

Fairmont drag car build - Hanging/hinging DS door 8/10/16

Thanks Bill...!

LOL - I'd feel more comfortable getting a decent primer job on it than I will pain. I'm sure I'll be sweatin' bullets when the time comes!

OK. I forgot to take a couple other pics last night, so guess I'll offer a really small update tonight.

As with 1:1 cars, my dry sump oil pan got in the way of the stock starter, so I built a mini-starter that does a decent job of replicating what one looks like.

drysumpstarterA-arm001_zpsa384f90b.jpg

I also scratch built a dry sump pump and got the holes drilled for fittings.

drysumpstarterA-arm002_zpsd9249fbe.jpg

Last but not least, here is a pic of the lower A-arms I'm going to build. I showed A-arms way back at the start of this thread, but do you think I can find the little suckers? You know the answer to that question. One of the problems of having a project that drags out over such a long time. I know there around here (somewhere) but I'm not going to waste the time looking in the million places they could be. This, at least, affords me a chance to show they a set goes together. I started by trimming the short arm of the wishbone so it fits in the tubing that runs perpendicular to the frame. A RB Motion #1504 rod end with shortened shank and jamb nut will go on the other end of it. The short tube is .200" long and the longer tube is going to be .550", or so it appears at this point. This pic shows the wishbone glued into the short tube. The long tube is shown for mockup only at this point.

drysumpstarterA-arm003_zpscfbe76e5.jpg

Comments welcome!

Edited by futurattraction

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Time to get back on this horse again. When I last posted I had received “lug nuts” for my rear wheels but was still in search of studs. I have since found and ordered some, which did arrive a few weeks ago.

Fairmont%20updates%20001_zpsnbogstz7.jpg

I drilled a new set of rear outer wheels and rings for my slicks so I will be able to simulate rim screws. I'll post some more/better pics when I make a bit more progress on this.

Fairmont%20updates%20005_zpsefauk3nj.jpg

Fairmont%20updates%20004_zpsegv6b2rs.jpg

After having done a rough mockup of this set of wheels, in conjunction with the axle, simulated hats, etc., I realized I needed to narrow the rear end a bit to make everything fit. You can't tell tons of difference, but it's there. I also added some thin rings of aluminum tubing at the outer ends to simulate the housing ends. I like these better than my previous attempt.

Fairmont%20updates%20002_zpssodoercu.jpg

Fairmont%20updates%20003_zps9tiliw6w.jpg

I also chose to remove a bit of material on the inside of the quarter panels. I may do even a bit more before all is said and done. There is absolutely NO extra room under this contraption for any more tire. It could really stand to have frame rails that are .700 wide rather than .800 for something with this tire setup. 14x32s would be no sweat.

Fairmont%20updates%20007_zps1dmlzqve.jpg

Fairmont%20updates%20006_zpspl8vz1sv.jpg

I made some more progress on the wheelie bar set. I got the upper tubes attached at the rear wheel housings after adding some RB Motion adjusting nuts and think everything lines up pretty good. Vertical ties were added at the mid-point. I’m going with the idea of adding another set and cross-tube forward where the upper tubes angle upward slightly.

Fairmont%20updates%20012_zps4u0fp6h5.jpg

Fairmont%20updates%20011_zpsgdh4yiar.jpg

Though not attached, this mockup shows that things are pretty well aligned.

Fairmont%20updates%20016_zpsfb2tjrxt.jpg

Lord willing, I’ll be back on this one for foreseeable future. Comments welcome...

Edited by futurattraction

Thanks Brad. I keep getting sidetracked on this, so am always a bit dubious about something getting in the way of the “foreseeable future”… LOL

Thanks a ton, Ray. I’m glad to see you back on your Deuce.

Ron – I hit a lengthy time where I was busy with my Futurattraction stuff and just sort of felt lost about what to do on this. I’m glad I’m back to it, too.

Hey, thanks Ray.

Why, thank you mister Kerry… J I am really bummed. I discovered a couple weeks ago I’m not going to be able to make the QC swap. I’ve got a commitment that’s been on the books for a long time that falls on that same weekend. That stinks.

Thank you, Joe. Good advice!

Dennis – if you have any questions about anything, please be sure and let me know.

Thanks Tyrone!

I appreciate the support Allen. I’ll try to keep my nose to the grind stone.

Thanks, so much, Codi. I absolutely love what you’re doing on your “J”.

It feels good to be making a bit of progress, Chris.

Thanks Randy. I really appreciate it!