Model Cars Magazine Forum

Fairmont drag car build - Hanging/hinging DS door 8/10/16

Thanks for looking in, Henry.  I appreciate your enthusiasm...

I'm glad things are going well for you, Kerry.  Here's to a quick upcoming month so you can get back on days!

I appreciate your compliment and thoughts, Bill.  My challenge is that I will have the chassis in and out of the body a million times before it will reach final assembly, so I'm thinking 1) lightly supergluing it probably won't stand up to the flexing that does occur and 2) there's a strong chance that any supports will get in the way of various aspects of construction... :(

Thanks for stopping by, Bob.  It's always appreciated.

Thanks for your kind words, Fred.  Slixx now has decals for two versions of Dyno Don's Fairmont ('78 and '79 seasons) on one sheet and they've got Glidden's '78 decals available.  They are working on a set of blue-on-white decals for Glidden's later ('81 season) car.

Guys - I am hoping to get pics taken, soon, of what I'm doing to hinge the doors.

Some WIP pics of how I'm going about hanging the doors.  I cut some 1/16th inch brass tubing and attached it to the interior door panel.  The interior panel is patterned off a 1:1 panel so is to scale.  I am using RB Motion #1504 rod ends, which telescope inside the tubing.  I used a pliers and deformed the shank end of the rod ends so they interference fit the tubing.  I made sure the upper and lower tubes were parallel.  This setup allows me fore-aft adjustment within the fender-body opening and also allows me to adjust the gap at the rocker panel to some degree.

ds_hinge_side_zpsdqo0aiou.jpg

This view shows the leading edge of the door and interior panel with the rod ends CA's in place.

door-leading%20edge2_zpss1xvfibk.jpg

Here you can see the door hung on the bulkhead-mounted rod ends.  The top one is CA'd in solid.  The bottom one is still floating at this point, but probably not for too much longer.  Using the rod ends and tubing allows the door to be adjusted in and out at the top and bottom as well as what I mentioned above.  I'm hoping/trusting that by having the body pinned to the chassis I can get door lines fitted pretty closely and I won't run into a bunch of misalignment issues later.

hinged_ds_door_best_zpswffce7s1.jpg

Plain old 9 o'clock level shot of the door hung and in the body.  It has a tendency to swing open, so is taped for the time being.  I know some of you guys have used micro magnets to keep doors closed.  What is the smallest those are available?  Anybody know off-hand?

ds_door_hung_zpscoreidnu.jpg

A couple of shots of the door swung open.

ds_door_open2_zps7q9osjcd.jpg

This one closeup shot shows the hinges more clearly.

interior_hinge_view_zpsq0dfzakx.jpg

Thoughts, comments and questions welcome...

Edited by futurattraction

Scott, excellent hinging on the doors so far! Still nervous about those A pillars though, but I see your point. ;)

As far as magnets for latching, you might want to check out here. I've used the smallest size they have, and they work quite well, and won't be intrusive looking for what you're trying to do.

Just to give you an idea, here's a few pics of what they look like in a door jamb of the Cougar II that I built years ago.

P1252920.JPG

P1252922.jpg

P1252921.jpg

HTH!

• Like 1

Thanks for your kind words, Henry...

Bill - I really appreciate your providing the info about those micro magnets.  Those look like just the ticket for what I had in mind.

Hey, thanks Ray.  In principle, I think it makes tons of sense of sense to do the hinges this way.  Of course, I still have to execute the plan! LOL

Thank you Dennis.  The goal is now to keep this progress moving forward!  :)

Thanks a ton, Kerry!

Tyrone - thank, so much.  I'm stoked to see you back on a project.  I've missed seeing you around recently!

Scott... Nice work on those door hinges. Man it sure looks killer. This build is coming out great. I have some of those magnets that Bill mentioned that I got from my local hobby store. I have them in 1/16" Dia and 1/8" Dia. If you want pics of them I will take some for you since I think they are a different brand that what Bill showed But the same thing. Keep up the great work and I look forward to your next update.

Great idea for the hinges and the unit looks very good.  Also really good though, it appears the door can be easily removed as well for further building chores, this is a really important aspect for scratch-building and eventual maintenance or correction necessities.

Well done Scott.

• 4 weeks later...