Model Cars Magazine Forum

Shubert & Herbert Fueler

Fuel Coupe

Hey guys, Yes I've been away for while. Been playing with my real car and having a ball. I've made a few attempts at a few builds lately and unfortunetly i've put them away. Heart just hasn't been there. This build I hope will rekindle that.

First off, I know the Roger "Riceman" Lee build this car from brass. He is a true master in this hobby. I will not be doing that. I am a mere hack and still build solely in plastic with some metal and resin thrown in for good measure.

Now on to the build. I surely hope this time I stick with it as I want to go back and finish My Panella Bros. Trucking gasser and then on to Bob Langley's Digger...

Zane01-Bond.jpg

One of the most famous and certainly the most recognizable Chevrolet powered dragsters of all time was the Shubert/Herbert 1965 car pictured above at "The Beach", it's home track. The car ran for only one year and was the last in a series of cars jointly run by Chet Herbert, the famous drag racing innovator, and Zane "The Beard" Shubert.

After the 1965 season the car sat idle for a year and then was sold as a rolling chassis.

After the last couple of digger chassis I have made a few changes in the way I build them. I build both sides and the join them up. This one seems to be the most square of the lot..

ddceffc4.jpg

f5c03a77.jpg

09e24f4d.jpg

1fd601e1.jpg

This is what I have so far. This car was pretty spindley as it had no radius rods and very little chassis bracing..

Oh, I'm looking for a pair of rear wheels from the Ivo 4 engine car for this build. Chrome is of no importance.

Thanks for looking...

Thanks guys for the welcome back. I'm trying. I can't compete with some of the talent thats currently showing up especially here in the drag section.

Here's the latest update.

I scratch built the rear end, I still need to add bolt detail but you get the idea.

1965-cockpit.jpg

8D7C7739-07AB-403F-93AA-508D4C92EC8D-18214-000016B0EBFF68A2.jpg

A2F3D9A5-7207-428C-B727-C7905B6834B7-18214-000016B0F3FD73ED.jpg

2A85B918-DE16-414C-8ABD-02E0BA8241F1-18214-000016B0F809A42E.jpg

there we go for now...

thanks again guys, here's another small update

Got the rear and the engine lined up and as you can see the Car has quite a bit of engine "dump" as well as the rear end siting high in the chassis. This style of chassis was called "leg under" as the drivers legs didn't lay over the rear axle but rather his shins snugged up against the axle which was a bit precarious in this car as it had a live axle..

2E922C55-DB23-40D5-BD52-C41CB73F577A-18585-000017835C7B0459.jpg

These will not be the wheels and tires used in this build but you will get an idea of how much driver set back was in this car and how high the tires rode above the chassis

ShubertHerbert-1.jpg

D853EF86-CC1C-4BAC-BE44-DE274B50F4CD-18585-00001783653C7E8D.jpg

Edited by Fuel Coupe

Awesome job on this one, as expected. The frame looks awesome. You are doing terrific job again, Shane! One question about the 1:1 car, though. What is the idea with the engine position, I mean that the front end of that Engine is bit lower than the rear? Is there some kind of good reason for it?

I've seen that on other Dragsters too, and I've always wondered, why is that.

Tampa Dump Tampa Tilt Or Tampa Rake refers to the downward appearance of the engine. Named for the style that Big Daddy preferred on his rails. It is based on frame design tire size and pinion angle and "engine out". Basically getting the engine as low in the frame to lower the center of gravity and help reduce the amount of wheels up wasted motion we all have grown to love in these front engine cars.

As always your builds are a delight to follow and so inspirational/educational. I love leg under dragsters; the low cowl line is stunning. However, they don't exist in scale, making scratch building the only option. Great frame work. I'm following closely as I move ever more closely to doing my own leg under... :)B)

• 2 weeks later...