Model Cars Magazine Forum

Finished Project #2 - '58 Buick Roadmaster

Ramfins59

This is a resin kit from The Modelhaus that I picked up at this years NNL East. I got the inspiration from a 1:1 car I saw online while looking for reference material. The paint is Pactra RC car yellow lacquer with Duplicolor clearcoat. I sanded off the door handles, wipers & Buick lettering, and added chromed handles & wipers from my parts stash. I gave the grille a dark wash and coated the turn signal lenses with Floquil Dust color to look more like plastic lenses. I used photo-etched Wizard's O's from RMCOMD for headlight bezels. The taillights were painted with Tamiya clear red. It took me a total of 5 hours, and a quarter of a sheet of BMF to cut, apply and trim all the chrome on this beast. I LOVE these chrome-laden 50's land yachts...!!! The wire wheels & tires are from the Moebius '55 Chrysler kit. The antenna is a piece of a dot-matrix printer pin and a piece of surgical stainless tubing. The convertible boot has photo-etched metal pieces as snaps.

Since this is a Curbside model, with no engine or chassis details, I had to kind of do something special with the shallow, resin interior bucket. I started out by spraying the same yellow paint on the interior and dashboard. I flocked the floor in brown and painted parts of the seats and door panels in flat white. I added photo-etched metal pieces to the seat buttons and pieces of chrome trim from the Galaxie '48 Chevy kit to the seats & door panels. I also added resin door handles and window cranks from RMCOMD to the side panels. The dashboard was detailed with paint and some photo-etched metal pieces. I also used parts box decals for the speedometer, radio, clock and gear indicator, and covered them with clear epoxy as lenses. The steering column has pieces of shirt pins for the gearshift and turn signal stalk.

I'm pretty pleased with the way this car turned out and will be picking up more of these land yachts from The Modelhaus in the future.

Thanks for looking everyone, and feel free to comment, as always.

HEADONVIEW800x596.jpg?t=1345234673

THREEQUARTERFRONT800x596.jpg?t=1345234651

SIDEVIEW800x596.jpg?t=1345234625

THREEQUARTERREAR800x596.jpg?t=1345234608

DASHBOARD800x527.jpg?t=1345234578

INTERIORSIDEVIEW800x596.jpg?t=1345234519

The headlights look weird, but I love the color and the SHINY :) :) :)

The headlights are the clear resin ones that The Modelhaus supplies with the kit. Looking at it now, I probably should have cut off the mounting pin on the back of the lens, then either used BMF or silver paint on the back... Oh well... too late for that now... LOL. Although I DID use photo-etched metal rings around the lenses... Does that help...???

Thanks again for the kind comments everyone... Yes, The Modelhaus resin kits ARE a bit on the pricey side, but in the case of this Buick, it was cheaper than paying for an original AMT kit from waaaaayy back...!!! Plus Don Holthaus' castings are so good that it's almost like working on a plastic kit. I treated myself to this at the NNL East this year and I have plans for future builds of his '58 Ford Fairlane and '58 Oldsmobile which I have yet to buy.... maybe I'll get myself some cool Christmas presents. I just LOVE all the cars from 1958... Chrome-laden land yachts...!!!