Model Cars Magazine Forum

Do You Have Experience with ONE SHOT ENAMELS?

Virgil, go over to the HAMB and ask the guys who use them on the 1:1's. There are some amazing artists that hang out there and no doubt not all of them are exclusively bristle draggers...but even those guys will be able to give you insight you wouldn't think of otherwise.

My own experience with it is limited to screenprinting, but it's enough to tell you for sure that it lives up to its name. Good stuff.

Thanks, Christopher and Todd. But I was wondering if anyone here had used them to paint model car bodies.

I originally got these to do some pin-striping and they've been sitting here for a couple of years, and I would love to try it. Perhaps, I should just start out by painting a few plastic spoons and see where that goes.

Thanks for the move over here. I always think in general terms and make the mistake of posting in the GENERAL SECTION. Sorry about that, didn't mean to make extra work for the mods. ;)

There was a fellow in the SABA club in Portland that used to use them. He'd do demo's on this and applying thin metal at their NNL's. He used some reducer with them that was not very hot but still allowed quick drying times IIRC. Fletch, got your "ears" on as I can't remember his name.

I have some but have only used them for pinstriping on 1:1 cars. They do dry fairly quick and once dry the paint is very tough. I pinstriped my 2002 Ford F 150 when new and this paint held up very good. In fact I think I used the same blue you show in your photo. Doesn't help much with your question I guess but if you thin it and try it out on some spoons I would be very interested to know what you think.

Doc,

This being an enamel paint, I wonder if the Donn Yost method would apply here? Have you checked with the Old Man himself to see if these have been used in his labratory?

Years ago when I worked at the Mercedes/BMW dealer, the guy who striped our cars used these paints. IIRC, they were ready to use out of the can and were dry within an hour. You might have to thin them a little to shoot through the airbrush.

Some pretty nice colors available and cheaper than Testors' 1/4 ounce bottles!

Dr. I've got somewhere over 30 years experience working with 1Shot both in the sign field and striping, shot more than my fair share through an airbrush as well. ( I started out in Commercial Art and ended up in engineering, go figure! I've had my hand in or around the pot most of that time.) If you head over to the Kustom Kulture Lounge there should be a long running thread about "what I do with 1Shot" or something like that. The artist is from the east coast and sprays a lot of 1Shot on commercial vehicles, his work is top notch so it will show you what can be done with 1Shot.

1Shot is pretty much the same enamel formulation as the enamel model paint you are used to brushing on your models, it reduces the same as model enamel, is soft like model enamels. Most of us typically spray 1Shot through an airbrush either to highlight or provide a substrate for letter work. They changed the formula for 1Shot a few years ago, they took the lead the old stuff covered better, you shouldn't notice any issue with that. Just use the stuff like you would Pactra or Testers Brush Enamel and you'll be fine. No need for a bunch of spoons the stuff is pretty true to the color swatches. Other brands to consider would be Ronan Sign Paint or the "Little Daddy Roth" Striping (enamel) Paint. Haven't personally used the Little Daddy Roth stuff but word of mouth says it's on par with the Ronan Paint.

BTW most of us prefer Sign Painters, Sign Writers, Letterheads, Pin Stripers, Stripers, Pinheads, Commercial Artists or Artists to "bristle draggers" that would be a little more ratrod than most of us prefer to associate with. To us a bristle dragger is some kid who bought a Mack 00 brush and a can of 1Shot and thinks he is good enough to lay a "line" on someone else's pride and joy. Most of us went through either long apprenticeships under a sign writer or pinstriper or long periods of personal practice, it's a craft that has been traditionally handed down from one artist to another (who had to prove they were worthy of the "Master's" attention in the first place). We have earned the right to do the artwork we apply over another craftsman's equally perfect paint as well as where on what we apply our art to. Calling a person who is of professional caliber Pinstriper or Sign Painter a "bristle dragger" is like coming on here and saying that modelers "play with toys". (End rant!)

Edited by Skip

Doc,

I wonder if the Donn Yost method would apply here?

If you are referring to reducing the 1Shot with Lacquer thinner, yes you can do that with 1Shot, lacquer thinner is used sometimes in cooler environments as it makes the paintdry faster.

The other thing be sure to check out their other products like hardener. Even though you may hear a Striper or Sign Guy refer to thinner/reducer as "turps" never use turpentine to reduce 1Shot, worked with the old formula but doesn't with the new. (I've heard horror stories of using turpentine and the artwork didn't dry after long periods of time, you don't want that.) I am currently using the 1Shot reducer to thin, turpentine and paint thinner are for cleaning your brushes! The 1Shot hardener is a great product if you are going to clear coat, helps prevent paint reaction.

Ask away if there is anything else you want to know, the other place to go is 1Shot's website lots of great info there.