Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ford Van... imported from Turkey!

It won't be much different than the maintanence on a turbo diesal. Probably a bit cheaper for the oil, but fuel might cost more, I know my little dodge SRT-4 had to have premium, but the ford engine might not be cranked up as much as that little sucker! I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with your Chevy/Goverment Motors comment.

Diesel engines, even if turbocharged, tend to get much better than mileage than comparable gasoline engines, especially when just at cruising speed. That's how some of the Euro cars are getting such fantastic mileage besides being so small with better aero. Gotta gree with Charlie on van of choice, I'd prefer the Express over the Econoline too, looks better, has a newer body and chassis design, wider rear door openings, and I trust the Duramax more than any of the post 7.4l Powerstrokes too!

One of the reasons that the big fleets are changing over to the GM vans is the lower maintainance costs over the Econoline. The Econoline is well known for eating up brakes and balljoints, a problem the GM vans do not have.

Not only that, but the longer wheelbase, 15 passenger vans from GM were much safer than the 15 passenger Econoline and B-Vans in emergency situations since the Chevys don't flip if you look at them funny!

Edited by Joe Handley

Diesel engines, even if turbocharged, tend to get much better than mileage than comparable gasoline engines, especially when just at cruising speed. That's how some of the Euro cars are getting such fantastic mileage besides being so small with better aero. Gotta gree with Charlie on van of choice, I'd prefer the Express over the Econoline too, looks better, has a newer body and chassis design, wider rear door openings, and I trust the Duramax more than any of the post 7.4l Powerstrokes too!

Actually, I was referring to the Transit being a bit odd-looking, although seeing the picture of Glenn's low-roof, it' looks a little better, but still a bit strange. I actually think the Econoline isn't too bad looking aside from that unfortunate new grille ensemble.

I was actually crawling around underneath a Chevy G-3500 wheelchair van, helping a friend of mine buy one for his social service agency (I offered to go take a look at it and drive it for an evaluation.) I was surprised to see a ladder-type frame under that rig. Last I remember, the GM vans were unit?

After driving that monster (15-passenger length,) I was surprised at how well it drove, performed and handled, especially considering size and weight. I wouldn't mind a short-wheelbase one for a long trip converted into a nice travel van.

Charlie Larkin

I actually think the Econoline isn't too bad looking aside from that unfortunate new grille ensemble.

Not just with the vans , the trucks have that new grill treatment, I will say the it looks better on the trucks then vans

I am kind said to see the Econoline go, I like that style of the van, never liked the Chevy Express, its ok

Actually, I was referring to the Transit being a bit odd-looking, although seeing the picture of Glenn's low-roof, it' looks a little better, but still a bit strange. I actually think the Econoline isn't too bad looking aside from that unfortunate new grille ensemble.

I was actually crawling around underneath a Chevy G-3500 wheelchair van, helping a friend of mine buy one for his social service agency (I offered to go take a look at it and drive it for an evaluation.) I was surprised to see a ladder-type frame under that rig. Last I remember, the GM vans were unit?

After driving that monster (15-passenger length,) I was surprised at how well it drove, performed and handled, especially considering size and weight. I wouldn't mind a short-wheelbase one for a long trip converted into a nice travel van.

Charlie Larkin

The '71-'95 generation I grew up with and that was used for the A-Team vans were unibody as were the Astro and Safari, Greenbriars (Corvair based), Lumina/Venture minivans. The '96-Current and I believe the "cabover" vans that were between the Greenbriar and G-Vans were all body in frame.

Not just with the vans , the trucks have that new grill treatment, I will say the it looks better on the trucks then vans

I am kind said to see the Econoline go, I like that style of the van, never liked the Chevy Express, its ok

That grill Ford is using for the truck is pretty ugly, then to saddle that poor Van with it too just makes it look worse, especially when the rest of the lines are 20+ years old and basic style can be traced back to the mid-70's. I didn't care much for the Express when they came out in '96 as the just looked too..........meh, but I do like how the current ones with the slightly longer nose and more agressive headlights look. Throw in a healthy LS motor or Duramax with the right wheels and overall stance and it could make for a pretty tough looking machine!

Frankly, the Super-Duty trucks are so badly-done in my opinion, the only words I can use to describe them are not allowed on this forum.

The van took what was pleasant, although dated styling, and made it downright homely. I will agree that the Express-series vans don't do much for me, but between the two...

I did know the cutaways, both old and new, were frame-mounted. I was just surprised to see a frame under a regular van.

Charlei Larkin

Looks like the unsafe at any speed "twin-I beam" is finally dead. Maybe the price of an Express will come down a little.

I still can't believe that disaster lived this long, the Ford highrail truck with that front suspension could develop some vicious death wobble, when Dad saw "news" footage of a JK Wragler with DW, He just laughed and said that was nothing compared to the TIB Ford highrails!

Funny this topic pops up now.

I just saw one of these overgrown Transits yesterday in the Surprise/Sun City area ... NW Phoenix Metro area ... not too far from the Ford proving grounds area ... in a caravan of F250s and F350s and Super Duty pickups ... all Ford test vehicles with Michigan Manufacturer license plates and all fully loaded with engineer-types, computers and duct tape & bailing wire.

Thought the Transit-On-Steroids didn't look as goofy as the little transits, but when you see it mixed in with F-Biggies, it looks like an F-Biggie with tall bedsides ~ REALLY tall bedsides. Guess that may be its lineage ~ F-BiggyVan.

They all looked like they had half-swallowed chrome guardrails ... but I guess that's Ford's styling statement du jour.

B)

Funny this topic pops up now.

I just saw one of these overgrown Transits yesterday in the Surprise/Sun City area ... NW Phoenix Metro area .

B)

What!!! you didnt stop by and say hi :P , very rude :lol:

I did not know the Ford proving grounds is that close to the valley, or on the west side, ok, heck , that is the one that I had no idea where its located at .

The full size Transit and the connect can be hustled down the road with fun.. :D

I have driven a 17 seat minibus version and you could intimidate car drivers with it,that was a hoot!

I also saw the remains of a connect in one of our bodyshops,it had taken a very hard hit to the left front corner and everything in front of the firewall had been moved about 6 foot to the right!

That means bodywork,chassis legs,engine and tranny!

There was nothing really connected to the firewall to be honest,it was sitting alongside the van! the 'box' of the van was twisted out of shape too,but.......The drivers cell was intact.

I am both glad and saddened that I won't be here in Thompson, MB for the winter as there's a world-class winter testing centre here. I hear tell that you can see some interesting vehicles up here before they're released for sale.

Edited by kataranga