Model Cars Magazine Forum

1967 Camaro SS350

roadhawg

Let me start by saying that this is certainly not one of my better builds...I've been working on this off and on for about 2 years now, not actual work, but getting frustrated and just putting it away for awhile. It's had the body replaced once because I broke the A pillars, then the second one was painted and stripped twice, nothing in the kit fit without modification...it was just a mess! Even now, looking at the pictures, I see things I didn't do right. It's certainly not my best effort, but I'm finally calling it DONE!

This is a model of a car my sister had back in 1975...a 1967 Camaro SS350 with a factory 4 speed....and before you ask, yes, she deeply regrets getting rid of it, lol. It's the AMT kit (I wish Revell would give us an all new tool '67-'68). I added a black vinyl top using the "spray adhesive" technique. I used the kit engine with added bits and pieces from the parts box. The kit seats aren't even close to being right, so I used front seats from a Revell '69 Camaro with the headrests removed, then rescribed the upholstery pattern both front and rear...what a pain. The wheels are from an AMT '69 Chevelle...I know they're not factory correct, but thats what she had on it. She also had Road Hugger tires (our dad was a dealer), so I made the the tire decals. Correct SS Hood is from Time Machine resins and grill is from Modelhaus. Paint is GM Butternut Yellow from Scalefinishes, and striping decals are from Keith Marks.

I'm glad this one is finally finished. Not my best, not even close, but as far as my sister is concerned it's the best model she's ever seen!

IMG_2420.jpg

IMG_2421.jpg

IMG_2427.jpg

IMG_2428.jpg

IMG_1869.jpg

Your review of this kit echos my own personal feelings about AMT kits. The last AMT kit I attempted was a Mustang fastback something like 20 years ago. I was too young to figure out how to modify the parts to fit, so I never finished it. To this day, I avoid any AMT kit at all cost.

You sure did a fine job out of a lemon of a kit. Even if you can find the flaws in the pics, you are your own worst critic as they say. The rest of us thinks it looks great.

VERY nice !

I , too , would flattered to have a model of one of my cars built for me as a present ; nice gesture B) .

I agree ; a new-tooling of a '67-'68 Camaro is MUCH needed ! And , of course , it would need at least 3 different hoods , at least 2 complete sheets of decals , and gads of vintage custom parts (tyres , wheels , exhaust , etc. , etc.) , options to build a Dana version ,!!

Any-how ...

GREAT work on your '67 SS !! Butternut Yellow was a common colour on 67's for good reason B)

Now aren't ya glad I talked you into posting this beauty Tommy? I knew I wasnt the only one that would think you did a stellar job with it! I as well would love to see a new tool 67-68. There are enough diffrences to warrant it for sure. Tommy, could you explain the spray adhesive type of vinyl roof?

Thanks again, everyone!

Is that paint color called Butternut Yellow?

In 1967 it was. I think it might have been the same or very close to Lemonwood Yellow that was used in 1965.

Tommy, could you explain the spray adhesive type of vinyl roof?

Sure Lee, here you go: http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=27431 I've used masking tape in the past, but the spray method is easier and IMHO looks better.

Edited by roadhawg

Thanks for the kind comments, it makes me feel better about it. I just KNEW this one would end up in the parts box. And yes, my sister LOVES it. She actually wants to try to find the real one. So far, we've determined it was last registered in 2007, and was still here in Georgia. We'll see......