Model Cars Magazine Forum

Vinyl Roof Duplication

Need to find that post you're talking about Ray, I just covered some masking tape with some semi-gloss spray paint and it's not quite what I'm after, looks good but just not "THERE". Notice how the word "witch" was substituted for the word "which"? Happy halloween everyone, thanks guy's!

Marty

Here's a thread I started on this subject several months ago. http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=61895&hl=%2Bvinyl+%2Btop+%2Bmethod

Some of the same ideas were brought up in your thread, but the method Cruz uses in mine was not. Keep in mind that all of these methods are being suggested by experienced modelers who've been doing them for some time, so there's really not a lot of risk involved if you follow their directions. Once you look them over, it'll pretty much come down to what you're most comfortable trying to do.

Glue down some plastic strips, mask the body and shoot spray glue from a distance. Let dry and shoot semi gloss black.

Or... spray a flat color from a distance. In this case you want "orange peel," and spraying from a distance will give it to you... and it looks pretty much like vinyl top texture in scale. Flat paints seem to create better orange peel texture than gloss paints do. It doesn't matter what color flat you spray. If you don't have the right color flat paint that you want for the final top, use anything... even gray primer. Then just add your final color coat over your "texture coat." This method is much easier than any masking tape method.

Glue down some plastic strips, mask the body and shoot spray glue from a distance. Let dry and shoot semi gloss black.

Almost....the spray adhesive will never dry by itself, so after it gets tacky spray on a coat of Duplicolor primer, THEN semi-gloss black.

I've never been able to pull off the right look with that misting technique, but then again it might be the guy holding the spray can. Here's two I did, the Nova uses the masking tape method and the Camaro uses the "Cruz" spray adhesive method..........

IMG_0928.jpg

IMG_2421.jpg

I will be using the spray glue method from now on, it's waaaay easier and to me actually looks better. Just remember to tape up all the window moldings before spraying the glue.

another way that you can go about doing a vinyl top is to spray primer on a little heavy, take a scotchbrite pad and sponge the primer, repeat once or twice more, let primer dry, spray with tamiya semi-gloss black. and don't forget to put small strips of plastic to emmulate the seams.

here is an example of the process...

IMG_2864-1.jpg