Model Cars Magazine Forum

I again outgrew the box I have been using to house the parts as I make them, so I decided to do a little inventorying before repacking them. Here is the sum of all parts that I have made for this project over the course of almost exactly one year and three months.

Most are just in primer, much like kit parts waiting to be finished and assembled. A few are painted and even less of them are finished sub-assemblies. I wonder if I’m halfway? Not that it matters…

DSC03099_zps55f8c461.jpg

DSC03100_zps6c9ee81b.jpg

DSC03104_zps9479fa23.jpg

DSC03106_zpsa0b71a8c.jpg

Mark, looks like you are getting down to the end to me! You have made a lot of progress over the last couple of months. I don't know about you, but with my projects, I seem to have a lot of subassemblies that take forever and looks like I have a lot to do. Then one day, they are done and it is just a matter of putting them all together. The end seems to come on kind of suddenly. See you in two weeks?

How did you do the rubber gasket around the glass? Tape?

Ordered a generic seal from J.C.Whitney and used the shrink ray...

Actually I used the frame as a pattern and cut the seal from a medium thickness matte finish vinyl.

Mark, looks like you are getting down to the end to me! You have made a lot of progress over the last couple of months. I don't know about you, but with my projects, I seem to have a lot of subassemblies that take forever and looks like I have a lot to do. Then one day, they are done and it is just a matter of putting them all together. The end seems to come on kind of suddenly. See you in two weeks?

Yes, that does happen to me too. I'm trying to make as many of the parts as I can before I go about the final finishing and assembly, but there are a lot of parts I know I'll have to make as I assemble the final build. I will see you on the 21st.

The gauges are assembled and installed into the dash. Each gauge is made up of six pieces plus a decal.

DSC03113_zps30c04e2b.jpg

Speedo and Tach are the large ones, a small Vacuum gauge is positioned between them.

The Water temp and Oil press gauges are mechanical units, the Volts and Fuel level are electrical. Looks like the lenses mess with the focus on a couple of them

DSC03114_zpsd3bf0edd.jpg

Trying to get a better shot of the gauge, the camera flash really glitters up the textured matte charcoal dash

DSC03116_zpsd536d186.jpg

I finally decided on a personalized license plate. Like my last two Sevens, the plate will have raised “stamped” characters. I already put a coat of primer on the face.

DSC03119_zpsb25cedc4.jpg

But in addition to raised characters, I decided to make the backside detailed too and made the characters in reverse and depressed. Shown here in the raw brass.

DSC03120_zps6c2ead2b.jpg

Incredible work so far.... I've been watching this one for a while now but I couldn't stop from commenting now. As soon as I saw the first pic of the license plate, I KNEW you would go and do something crazy and awesome like do the reverse stamp on the back of it.... I'm amazed at the quality and detail of this build. Well done!

The steering wheel will be another Momo unit. I started by annealing some brass rod and forming it around an aluminum buck I machined then soldering the joint.

DSC03176_zps6e2d85b9.jpg

DSC03111_zps113dcbc0.jpg

I acid cut the spoke section and soldered it into the wheel.

DSC03175_zps33161579.jpg

I also acid cut parts to use for the wrapping where it goes over the outer edges of the spokes.

DSC03177_zps49b354e3.jpg

Thanks Tony!

I made the hub (mounted to the wheel) and steering column from various sizes of brass tubing and turned a turn signal lever from aluminum.

DSC03182_zps1b3864c0.jpg

DSC03181_zps09d4a5aa.jpg

The horn button and mounting hardware (in the bag) were also machined from aluminum.

The three bolts are scaled down versions of 9/32 heads with 5/16 diameter washers. I’ve started to texture the grip of the wheel; I’ll sand the texture off of the spokes later.

DSC03183_zps63d92577.jpg