Model Cars Magazine Forum

You really have to see the dash in person to appreciate it. The needles stand off the surface and are mounted on pins. This is a real tour de force of model building. It wouldn't surprise me if somewhere in Jones's garage he had a little lab with a 12" operating table that rises through the roof on dark and stormy nights to catch lighting! "It's alive! It's alive!" :lol:

Edited by Pete J.

Mark.... Nice work on that steering wheel. It is a work of art. That license plate is sweet too. Your etching process is awesome. I still think that the Gage's have to be one of my favorites parts of this build so far. The dash is gorgeous.

All of this while you live in the Southern California beach area. I assume you live with a popular bikini model and have a Hawaiian cook, who divert you between your model building and surfing sessions.

Edited by sjordan2

Projector type headlights in traditional sealed beam housings.

First I machined the main housing and bezel. Then I machined the projector housing and ornamental bezel, (note the 7 accent detail), all from aluminum. Then I machined the projector lenses from acrylic rod.

DSC03249_zpsf3a8962d.jpg

DSC03250_zpsb31fccfe.jpg

DSC03252_zps68f16ee4.jpg

Next I machined a mold to vac-u-form the main lenses and pulled a couple.

DSC03256_zpsd84fbe76.jpg

There is a lens installed in the assembly here.

DSC03255_zpsf7ad185b.jpg

Simple, I cheated. Tamiya TS-45 Pearl White.

Fun thing about this hobby for me is getting hit in the head with a tip like that. I've used pearl paints, but the faulty notion stuck in my mind was 'pastel-paint-for-license-plate-backgrounds', when of course in 1:1 scale they are not pastel, they're reflectory..... like pearl paint colors. D'oh!