Model Cars Magazine Forum

The SuperDuster

Custom Mike

Mark, I think you're right, that nose does look good on just about anything but what it was designed for. That actually looks great Tom, are you gonna finish it?

In SOME lifetime. Thanks for the nice comment on it.

Later-

Edited by Modlbldr

Thanks John, it may show up at a contest in SC sometime this year, we'll see!

OK, I got a bit more done on the engine, since I'm out of Primer/Sealer, I can't do much else at the moment. I got my fuel lines run from the fuel rail up to the carbs, which was really fun, you should all try it! Then I got my belt/pulley assembly painted, and looked at the white metal alternator that Sam sent with...it's a GM alternator! That just won't cut it, so it went back in the bag it came from, and the alternator from the '70 Coronet Pro Street kit was snatched and detail painted. Once I get back on this, I'll add some photo-etched brackets to the alternator and possibly the power steering pump. I have one that will fit that is, there's not a whole lot of room around the power steering pump to attach a bracket, so I'm not sure if I'll add one, we'll see!

SuperDuster070-vi.jpg

SuperDuster071-vi.jpg

SuperDuster072-vi.jpg

SuperDuster073-vi.jpg

I saw the pictures of this somewhere else on this site and actually saved the photos wanting to build one down the road. This thing is beyond cool to me and then the Camaro pops up and man looks great to. Thanks for sharing these great projects guys getting the ideas rolling now

yea he is posing it in the CBP area as well ( if I recall the prostock CBP )

Pro Street CBP. ;)

Pro Stock is completely different, as they are Professional Class Race Cars with very tight rules. :D

Anyway this looks excellent to me. Nice engine detailing, looks like real engine coming together. I really like the colors and paint job too. Can't wait to see more of this.

Thanks guys, Tonio, I'm no master, I'm just a goober with some paint and glue, and a whole lotta imagination! Jeremiah, get back to that Camaro, since seeing the one that Tom's got, I want to see one done, it looks great with the Superbird nose on it!

Alright, let's see if I can get this update in before the internet goes bye-bye again! I got the under-dash gauge sets that Sam sent made up, I started by polishing the faces up, bent them, then applied the gauges to the back side, A drop of Testors Clear Parts Cement to each gauge, and they'll look good. Next up, I polished the "T" bolts Sam sent for the valve covers...

SuperDuster074-vi.jpg

SuperDuster075-vi.jpg

SuperDuster076-vi.jpg

SuperDuster079-vi.jpg

SuperDuster080-vi.jpg

Now, another shot of the "T" bolt in place, they'll be glued down once I get the plug wires in place. Then I opened up the ends of the Challenger T/A exhaust Sam sent, it looks 1000 times better than it did originally! I'm gonna strip the exhaust and repaint it Metalizer Stainless Steel once I get it fit to the engine and chassis, it's gonna need a bit of modification to fit the Duster chassis right.

SuperDuster081-vi.jpg

Pretty bad looking exhaust pipe, right?
SuperDuster077-vi.jpg

Much better once it's opened up. Not the easiest thing to do, it requires a drill bit big enough to fit top to bottom, then you have to carve the sides out with an X-Acto knife to make it look like this. A real pain to pull off, but definitely worth it!
SuperDuster078-vi.jpg

Time for more? You bet! I got the engine wiring done, I used white 30 gauge wrapping wire and some yellow jacket from some 26 gauge wire for the boots. I was going to paint the wrapping wire with some Tamiya Clear Yellow, but it wouldn't dry (I waited about 5 hours and it was still tacky), so I just decided to go with the plain white wire.

Resin distributor from Replicas and Miniatures of Maryland, these things are great!
SuperDuster082-vi.jpg

Wiring in place on the distributor...
SuperDuster084-vi.jpg

2 boots on each wire, time to get it installed on the engine!
SuperDuster085-vi.jpg

SuperDuster086-vi.jpg

Right side of the engine complete, more to come!
SuperDuster087-vi.jpg

Another shot of the engine wiring, and then onto the coil. Since there was no coil in either one of the kits Sam sent, and I'm out of 'em, I tried to make my own from some sprue. I chucked it in the Dremel, hit it with a sanding stick, drilled a hole in it and called it good. I painted it semi-gloss black, then made a strap from a piece of PE fret, drilled a hole in the block, and glued it in place. That's all for tonight, see ya later!

SuperDuster090-vi.jpg

SuperDuster092-vi.jpg

SuperDuster093-vi.jpg

SuperDuster094-vi.jpg

SuperDuster095-vi.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

OK, I've got an actual update, with pictures even, what's the world coming to? The engine has been rechristened as a 496, the maximum size you can get out of a 383, so now we've got some power to work with, gonna need it for the meats out back, right? The engine is nearly completed now, all that's left is the valve cover bolts and fuel line from the chassis, but those two parts will be done once the engine is installed permanently in the chassis. I have the alternator and bracket installed, along with the fan, so this part is done, more to follow!

One photo-etched bracket with a 1/87th scale brass bolt to hold it in place...it even slides!
SuperDuster098-vi.jpg

Yeah, the placement of the bracket is not accurate, but it's the only place it would land that had a bolt...
SuperDuster099-vi.jpg

I drilled out the bolt on the engine and replaced it with another 1/87th scale brass bolt, those tiny boogers are handy!
SuperDuster100-vi.jpg

I tried to add a bracket to the power steering pump, but couldn't find one small enough. You couldn't see a bracket on it anyway, that area's pretty crowded!
SuperDuster101-vi.jpg

I also got the battery painted up and ready to install, we've moving right along!
SuperDuster102-vi.jpg

Next up, some work on the hood and testing the fit of the air cleaner and hood for clearance. I added some embossing powder to the areas of the hood that normally have insulation on them, and it looks really good, I'm gonna do this more often!

If the paint hadn't cracked, this would look really good! Don't ask, I don't know why it's cracked, it just happened. :headscratch:
SuperDuster104-vi.jpg

First shot of the engine in it's home...soon baby, soon!
SuperDuster105-vi.jpg

Air cleaner in place, fingers crossed...
SuperDuster106-vi.jpg

And of course, it's too tall! The rear edge of the hood is slightly up, time to get hacking on the air cleaner!
SuperDuster107-vi.jpg

I removed the two raised circles on the underside of the air cleaner's base, tried it again, and it fits perfectly, that worked out easily!
SuperDuster108-vi.jpg

And the final update for now, working on the front rims and tires. Now just to let you know, Sam sent some rubber band front tires that are not gonna work, I can't get 'em to look right no matter what I do, so he'll get 'em back. I found some small, kinda narrow but not too narrow tires, and tried 'em out, they should do the trick. The ride height is nearly perfect, I just need to get the nose down a hair and it'll be right. The biggest problem I have now is the front tires being too far out in the wheel wells. The first shots are what I started with last night, the second two are where I stopped, I think I can get 'em tucked in a bit more, but it's gonna take some work!

SuperDuster109-vi.jpg

SuperDuster110-vi.jpg

SuperDuster111-vi.jpg

SuperDuster112-vi.jpg

Thanks Russ, I can only do so much though, it's Sam's baby, and I can only go as far as he lets me! I did a bit of interior work tonight, I sprayed the interior parts last night with some Dupli-Color Vinyl & Fabric Paints (Medium Gray), let 'em dry overnight, masked 'em all up, and shot some Dupli-Color Black Primer on for a second color. A quick ride in the dehydrator, and they're ready for some detailing!

Freshly painted with the Black Primer, ready for some foil work!
SuperDuster113-vi.jpg

A close-up of the dash, this is the best masking I've ever done!
SuperDuster114-vi.jpg

First two pieces of foil in place, time for the Q-Tip!
SuperDuster115-vi.jpg

First two pieces have been trimmed, and the long strip is in place and ready to meet Mr. Q-Tip!
SuperDuster116-vi.jpg

The long strip of foil has been trimmed up, we're looking good so far!
SuperDuster117-vi.jpg

Now the real fun begins, foiling the window crank and door handle...
SuperDuster118-vi.jpg

Trimmed up nicely, I'm getting good at interior panels!
SuperDuster119-vi.jpg

The last step, adding some Semi-Gloss Black to the Duster badge at the top of the door, and adding my door lock knob. This time I used some 24 Gauge wire instead of 30 Gauge. I flattened the wire with some pliers, and it looks great, no painting needed!
SuperDuster120-vi.jpg

Time for more? You bet! I got the engine wiring done, I used white 30 gauge wrapping wire and some yellow jacket from some 26 gauge wire for the boots. I was going to paint the wrapping wire with some Tamiya Clear Yellow, but it wouldn't dry (I waited about 5 hours and it was still tacky), so I just decided to go with the plain white wire.

Resin distributor from Replicas and Miniatures of Maryland, these things are great!

SuperDuster082-vi.jpg

Wiring in place on the distributor...

SuperDuster084-vi.jpg

2 boots on each wire, time to get it installed on the engine!

SuperDuster085-vi.jpg

SuperDuster086-vi.jpg

Right side of the engine complete, more to come!

SuperDuster087-vi.jpg

A yellow Sharpie works great for coloring white wrapping wire to make yellow plug wires. I keep a whole bunch of different colored Sharpies at hand to make custom colored wires that way.