Model Cars Magazine Forum

Embossing Powder

I've used the flocking in the past but it always came out clumpy and never cared for the result.

I just tried embossing powder for the 1st time a few weeks ago. And am so much happier with the look.

My local Micheals has it,,but in limited color choices. So I may try online to see if I can widen my color options,,the multipacks looks promising.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_0_22?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=hampton%20art%20embossing%20powder&sprefix=hampton+art+embossing+%2Carts-crafts%2C981

You could also try masking the area off and shooting it with a coat of paint / primer / dule coat sealer and then put the embossing powder on. The product is actually used with rubber stamp inks you would put the ink down with a stamp and then put the powder into place and shake off the extra

I tried using a small kitchen strainer but the powder is so fine it just ran through like water! :) I found it works just as well to just dump it on, slosh it around & dump off the excess. Make sure you save the "overflow" of course. Steve

this is exactly how I applied it .. it's very fine an goes to show how big flocking is for carpet. I used a small camera lens brush/blower to get the loose specks out of the interior .. it is very fine and attracts to everything.

I've used the flocking in the past but it always came out clumpy and never cared for the result.

I just tried embossing powder for the 1st time a few weeks ago. And am so much happier with the look.

My local Micheals has it,,but in limited color choices. So I may try online to see if I can widen my color options,,the multipacks looks promising.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_0_22?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=hampton%20art%20embossing%20powder&sprefix=hampton+art+embossing+%2Carts-crafts%2C981

You can find the same set of metallic powder on ebay for a few dollars less Bill. At least I think it still is. Steve

this is exactly how I applied it .. it's very fine an goes to show how big flocking is for carpet. I used a small camera lens brush/blower to get the loose specks out of the interior .. it is very fine and attracts to everything.

I just blow it out with the blower that God gave me. :D A good soft brush will help get all of the leftover bits moved around so you can blow them out too. Steve

Just got some of the Metallic stuff. -Is using Micro Metal Foil adhesive overkill? I'm looking forward to playing around with this.

Just got some of the Metallic stuff. -Is using Micro Metal Foil adhesive overkill? I'm looking forward to playing around with this.

I would think you could use whatever adhesive you're comfortable with. Some guys will use paint as an adhesive as well.

Steve

Is this embossing powder the same that I used many years ago in printing that after you applied it to your art work on paper you ran it through a heating element and it melted to give a raised effect to the art work or letters?

greg

i used embossing powder on my last 3 builds....red, beige , black. the first 2 i used matching colored embossing powder.the last one ,still in the build stage, i used white embossing powder and painted it with thinned down flat black paint..to me it looks more like asphalt than carpet. instead of looking like carpet material the beads all matted down and not carpet like at all. i figured i would purchase white powder and paint it to match my needs.... from now on i'm going to use the matching color in embossing powder and stop painting it. i'll point it out when i post my next build photos and you;ll see what i mean

If you notice some of the grains don't adhere because the glue dried prematurely in that area, just add some of the EP in the hole, and follow with a little bit of "wetted" glue... This is a model railroad term (used in "wetted water") that means a detergent has been added to the water to break up surface tension. This will allow the glue to flow throughout the damaged area.

Also, if you start your project by painting the floor first, you can eliminate some problems with small divots loosening up later - when they do, the paint will show through, and it won't hardly be noticeable. Choose a color of paint that as closely as possible matches the color of the EP.

Edited by fseva

I was in Jo-anns fabrics and crafts today.

And they had this stuff on the shelf. Price was $24 ,,but when I went to ck out it was only $14

They have it on sale for $12.50.

http://www.joann.com/search?q=embossing%20powders#prefn1=brand&prefn2=prod_type&q=embossing%20powders&prefv2=Product&prefv1=Hampton%20Art

This forum is going to break my wallet. It won't take much. :rolleyes: