Model Cars Magazine Forum

paying it forward

I want to thank everybody who is sent me parts and who did not want anything in return. had posted the concept of paying it forward on the SAE website, and had the posting pulled. apparently the subject was much too radical for there Neanderthal thinking! so I just want to, say thank you again to everyone.... Woody

I don't go on the SA website, but the Pay It Forward is alive and well on another site I frequent. The attitude there is pretty much if you are a regular poster, and need a part for a build, someone will send you one with no strings attached. I know that if one of these guys needed something to complete a build, I'd crack open a new kit to send it to them.

Recently a friend sent me two 1960 Edsel wheel spinners to complete my 49 Ford old custom. It was much appreciated. If he ever needs a favor, he's got it, and I'll help the next guy.

But i claimed a project car and couple other things put other stuff up had it claimed and i sent it off and have yet to recieve what i claimed and the member has been on here way longer than me. So it does have those members who do abuse the system im not going to name names but there is a few who claimed stuff , put stuff up and when its claimed never sends it out and i asked them if it was sent or lost in mail they would say just sent it out yesterday or few days ago one of the items i claimed was over a month ago and still have yet to recieve it doubt i ever will. I thought the pay it forward was u claim sumthing you then put something up to be claimed

I thought the pay it forward was u claim sumthing you then put something up to be claimed

"Pay it forward" means that if someone does you a favor, you then do someone else a favor, and then they do someone else a favor... and so on...moving the favor forward. That's the way it's supposed to work. But there's no guarantee that people are going to play by the rules.

"Pay it forward" means that if someone does you a favor, you then do someone else a favor, and then they do someone else a favor... and so on...moving the favor forward. That's the way it's supposed to work. But there's no guarantee that people are going to play by the rules.

Some don't seem to get the idea of it. Please read Harry's post again. Anything you "pay forward" is without any expectation of getting paid back yourself. That's why it's forward, not backward.

Edited by sjordan2

Mathematically it won't work as set up on the other board. The rules as I recall, required one to pay forward two items for each item received. Doing the math the board would be overwhelmed in less than a week with pay it forwards. If everyone played by the rules. :lol:

Mathematically it won't work as set up on the other board. The rules as I recall, required one to pay forward two items for each item received. Doing the math the board would be overwhelmed in less than a week with pay it forwards. If everyone played by the rules. :lol:

Yea, I don't agree with that part and I think most folks don't. But there are guys who will post 4-10 PIFs at once, so they seem to be playing by the rules. I'll post stuff even when I don't owe anyone anything.

In the end, I'd rather answer someone's request for a specific part. I get satisfaction out of helping someone finish a project, and it's neat to see your part, that otherwise would still be at the bottom of your parts box, on a finished model!

Yea, I don't agree with that part and I think most folks don't. But there are guys who will post 4-10 PIFs at once, so they seem to be playing by the rules. I'll post stuff even when I don't owe anyone anything.

In the end, I'd rather answer someone's request for a specific part. I get satisfaction out of helping someone finish a project, and it's neat to see your part, that otherwise would still be at the bottom of your parts box, on a finished model!

i agree with you Tom, l enjoy helping fellow builders. l also enjoy the pay it forward thread l will be posting something in it before to much longer..

The other board I frequent does that a lot. I tend to put up 3 or 4 things at once a few times a year. I've had folks help with parts, etc. and I like to repay the favor. ALso like Tom said if someone posts a need for a part and I have it, I'll always send it. I cannot tell you how many times a fellow modeler save me with a part or two that I had lost.

Not trying to defend whoever it is, but things DO get lost in the mail. A very trustworthy member here sent me some wheels 3 or more months ago, they never did show up. He sent out another set, and in a couple of days were on my doorstep. So, it does happen.

Yes i know but everytime i asked them it was the same answer

Sounds like a pyramid scheme... hmm :lol:

Guest Johnny

it was ill conceived from the get go. It should not be a mismatched bunch of stuff with everything being different.

There should be a categories for different items. Say one for decals, one for kits, one for parts, etc.

It is a whole lot more fair and a heck of a lot easier to figure out what is going on when it is "like" items.

If an posted item is not taken after a couple days the poster should put another item up. But there is always going to be times when there are no takers for an item posted for a PIF and it essentially ends that thread unless another member just puts up a new item without taking the old one which someone could take later on down the road.

On other sites I rarely participate in PIF's.

I will though see someone have something up for trade and will ask what they want or if they are looking ask what they might have to trade. But lots of times I will just send the part/parts and just ask that they do the same for another member.

I also have on large items(like a kit or builtup) just asked they pay the postage in return.

Edited by Johnny

Guest Johnny

No, it would make thing a whole lot clearer.

As is someone could take a whole kit offered and put up a small part or a decals sheet for their end. Myself I would find that to be unacceptable in the name of fairness.

If I offered a kit, I would expect the person taking it to put up something of equal value.

Your idea of straight forward is almost a "I can get something for nothing this way" stance.

I'd say the reason it is not doing that well is just for that reason. People can see what is happening.

Either it should be done right or pulled off and not done at all.

Having different categories would just complicate what is a straightforward thing.

That's the way I see it. Just go to the Wanted section here and see if you can help with a freebie. Nothing else is necessary. Just send what you can and tell the recipient you hope he'll return the favor to someone else down the line. That's what paying it forward means.

Just send what you can and tell the recipient you hope he'll return the favor to someone else down the line. That's what paying it forward means.

I want to thank everybody who is sent me parts and who did not want anything in return.

^^ These guys get it. :)

Guest Johnny

BS. I do nothing of the sort.

Never said you did, now did I?

BTW, when you quote someone, don't edit what they said.

Agreed. But I think two categories would be sufficient. One for parts,decals etc. and one for incomplete/complete kits or projects. It's not right for a person to claim something like a kit or project and then post up a couple of small parts for the next person. One of the main premises of the PIF is honor. But, that can't always be counted on.

I don't see this as a chain letter, requiring an immediate response by the recipient to provide others with an equivalent of what he's received, and who may not have something needed by someone else at the time. Why can't a person provide a part to one person, other parts to other people, etc., at different times for different needs? I don't think there's a time or quantity expiration date for something that could be a continuing process, in the spirit of paying it forward.

Gents...

Ever think that maybe you might have missed the point somewhere, and that you're putting way too much thought into something? Or maybe it's me. In fact, it likely is. I think I'll just go back to watching the wanted section and helpin' people out where I can. That was working just fine.

Carry on.

Gents...

Ever think that maybe you might have missed the point somewhere, and that you're putting way too much thought into something? Or maybe it's me. In fact, it likely is. I think I'll just go back to watching the wanted section and helpin' people out where I can. That was working just fine.

Carry on.

x2, except I was less straightforward in putting it that way.

I'll have to agree with the "overthinking it" idea. Pay it forward has actually been going on for some time, prior to it being made into a big deal. If it's a small part that only costs me a dollar or two to ship it out, i'll help the other guy out. Maybe one day i'll need something, and he'll remember and return in kind. Maybe he won't have what I need, but someone else does. I've even turned down trades before, just to eliminate the needless back and forth of "can you use a...", "No, do you have..."

It gets to be like a game of go fish, and honestly for me the warm-fuzzy comes from just knowing I helped a friend and/or fellow modeler. Now it seems like a contest of "Look what I gave away!" and that cheapens it. Doing nice things for people doesn't require a special section so the person who did it gets recognition. Remember this...Batman doesn't ask for thank you's, the Lone Ranger never sticks around for a pat on the back. They just do what they do and ride off into the west. They don't need anyone to tell them they did a good thing.

Just my 2 cents. :)

I have to agree with Kevin.. anyone who asks "what can I get out of this?" doesn't understand the concept.

I believe that the personalities and true intents of people come out in the long run. If you need a part to complete a build, drop me a note. If I have it, it's yours and will be sent promptly, no charge and no expectations from my part. I just like to see a part that was just going to sit in the bottom of my parts box used on a project.

If some of our members don't want to understand or rely on the comments of other members, perhaps they will take the following Wikipedia summaries more seriously...

"Pay it forward is asking the beneficiary of a good deed to repay it to others instead of to the original benefactor. The concept is old, but the phrase may have been coined by Lily Hardy Hammond in her 1916 book In the Garden of Delight.[1]"

"Pay it forward" is implemented in contract law of loans in the concept of third party beneficiaries. Specifically, the creditor offers the debtor the option of paying the debt forward by lending it to a third person instead of paying it back to the original creditor. Debt and payments can be monetary or by good deeds. A related type of transaction, which starts with a gift instead of a loan, is alternative giving.

"Ralph Waldo Emerson, in his 1841 essay Compensation,[2] wrote: "In the order of nature we cannot render benefits to those from whom we receive them, or only seldom. But the benefit we receive must be rendered again, line for line, deed for deed, cent for cent, to somebody."

In 1916, Lily Hardy Hammond wrote, "You don't pay love back; you pay it forward."[1]

Woody Hayes (February 14, 1913 – March 12, 1987) was a college football coach who is best remembered for winning five national titles and 13 Big Ten championships in 28 years at The Ohio State University. He misquoted Emerson as having said "You can pay back only seldom. You can always pay forward, and you must pay line for line, deed for deed, and cent for cent." He also shortened the (mis)quotation into "You can never pay back; but you can always pay forward" and variants.

From me: "There are none so blind as those who WILL NOT see."