Model Cars Magazine Forum

Jo-han ' 69 Ambassador

smellyfatdude

The first few pics are me opening this kit, which I bought recently, still sealed. The last two shots are how it looks today, after starting the passenger side trim. Paint is Testors One Coat Icy Blue, over a white base. The "woodgrain" is self adhesive shelf liner, measured and trimmed to fit. I darkened the panel lines with a bit of acrylic ink. I haven't picked an interior color yet. Perhaps silver with woodgrain accents.

new010_zps342dc620.jpg

new012_zps860ea469.jpg

new014_zps0e41a95c.jpg

wood004m_zps25849f8a.jpg

wood014_zpsec6b02e1.jpg

I'm not sure which I like better; The color choice and that awesome wood grain, or the pictures of you opening a sealed JoHan box with the intention of building what's inside. I too choose to build what others collect, so I'm with you on this one. Great job so far!

That tends to happen to some people. Myself, When I opened it, I just sniffed all of the 1969 air in the box. That cleared my head. :lol:

Heh, I do remember when I bought my Jo-Han AMC Javelin kit. It was still sealed too, and when I opened the box, my whole room smelled like the '70s air that came out. :lol: I'm also with you guys, I'm a Model Builder, not a collector.

Nice work so far. I really like the color you went with, paint job looks really nice also. Smooth Foiling, I will keep watching this one for sure.

So since this is being built as a (very) mild street machine, the emphasis ought to be on looks rather than performance. Then I thought, "why not do a Moparesque underside treatment", and make it eye candy. Being that the chassis is as simplified as it is, it might as well look pretty, so I sprayed it with gray primer and shot it with a few coats of Icy Blue. Once the gas tank and the few recognizable molded in components are detail painted, it'll be time to start getting to that interior. I have colors picked out, I think. :wacko:

chassis004m_zps79b90fa7.jpg

chassis002m_zps268a128e.jpg

YES! BUILD models! Love seeing old kits opened up. Thanks for the photos of that. That is a tasty wheel/tire combo; it looks 'right'. What is the source of those wheels?

BTW, I'm viewing this via link from your 70 Monte that went bad. Sorry to hear about that. Better luck with this one!!

BTW, I'm viewing this via link from your 70 Monte that went bad. Sorry to hear about that. Better luck with this one!!

Thanks. When I built my ' 67 Ambassador, I had just the opposite problem. There was a little too much room for the interior tub, so I had to add some thin strips of Evergreen to the sides. That kind of engineering problem is easy to solve, versus an interior that fits snugly during a test fit, and not at all during final assembly. Not to worry, these kits were tooled a litte better, fit wise. :lol:

"Breathing the 1969 air from inside the box!" What a hoot! LOL :lol:

I swear, that morning I got the kit in the mail and opened it, and sniffed all that air. Later, at work, I found myself singing "Jumping Jack Flash" out loud. I never do that, so it was obviously pretty powerful stuff.

So since this is being built as a (very) mild street machine, the emphasis ought to be on looks rather than performance. Then I thought, "why not do a Moparesque underside treatment", and make it eye candy. Being that the chassis is as simplified as it is, it might as well look pretty, so I sprayed it with gray primer and shot it with a few coats of Icy Blue. Once the gas tank and the few recognizable molded in components are detail painted, it'll be time to start getting to that interior. I have colors picked out, I think. :wacko:

chassis004m_zps79b90fa7.jpg

Great build. Looking at that chassis, did those cars have torque tubes?

-MJS

-MJS

Actually, AMC had finally gone to open drive by 1967 for most of the cars. I think Rambler Americans kept torque-tube to the end, but I'm not sure.

I'd go with a blue interior for that. The blue AMC had was a dark, bright blue. Testors Sea Blue with a couple of drops of white will get you in the ballpark.

Nice build so far.

Charlie Larkin

-MJS

Yes they did, I had a 1966 Ambassador 2dr hard top with a 327 4bbl 3speed auto trans & the fold down Bucket seats & tilt wheel. It also had a torque tube drive shaft I drove my 66 to school (And got laughed at) frequently.

Blue interior as Charlie mentioned before I agree 100%.

Edited by Gramps2u