Model Cars Magazine Forum

Models on display at 1:1 car show

I thought you guys might enjoy a couple pics of my model car display from today's Bellefonte Cruise Car Show in Bellefonte, PA. I had three dioramas set up with about 30 models. One dio is a downtown car show, one is a 1950's diner, and one is moving into tents at the Centre county Grange Fair in Centre Hall, PA, thought to be the last remaining tent fair in the country (138 year tradition). The display got hundreds of lookers all day. I got many compliments and comments like "I built models 40 years ago," and "Is that a Hudson?" This is my third year at this show, and it was fun, and I think was good publicity for our hobby. Here's part of the display with my wife, Sonnia at right.

9054873070_fa42765892_z.jpg

Here's the diner with 1950's cars.

9054872992_e182e37bec_z.jpg

Here's part of the car show diorama. Pardon the mismatched molding on the pizza shop. A piece broke off and I glued it back on poorly!

9054872868_7df3982cec_z.jpg

Thanks for looking!

I echo what the others have said. Great way to promote the hobby and great dios as well. Just curious; any problems with people thinking they're diecasts and grabbing them to check them out closer? That's always a problem we've had when doing public shows.

First of all they look great. Secondly, this is exactly the kind of thing can excite kids (of all ages) in a way that makes them never forget. How many on this forum were inspired by things like this because the whole scope of what you can do with modeling suddenly made sense?

Just curious; any problems with people thinking they're diecasts and grabbing them to check them out closer? That's always a problem we've had when doing public shows.

One guy picked one up and asked if they were diecasts, but put it back and apologized when I said they were plastic kits. Of course, a few kids poked at some of them, but their parents reined them in. Nothing was damaged.

One boy, about 5 or 6 years old came back three times during the afternoon to look at the display with his dad. He was mesmerized by the models, moving slowly from one end of the tables to the other, examining each model in turn, over and over. Definitely a future modeler, I would say! The display was worth the effort just to see that kid falling in love with our hobby!

Thanks for your compliments, guys. I appreciate them. I'll have the display at two more local shows between July and September. The organizers saw the display and asked me to bring it to their shows. They like that it's something different for spectators to see.

Nice set up!!. Love the dioramas.

I use to do similar, though only set out on shelves and tables. No diorama.

Got to a point In was asked for sales, so started carrying some.

The people running the shows changed and I was no longer 'Invited'!

New group running them now, and want me back. Display only or both.

But,..............

I need a better vehicle for it!!

Carrying tables, book shelves, etc PLUS all the models filled my car with LITTLE room for ME!!

I see the perfect rig right out my door, but....

The Church is using it as a Disaster-Relief response vehicle.

It Use to be an Ambulance!!

Edited by Edsel-Dan

Mike, the diner and all the dioramas are scratch built using plywood, foam board, balsa, etc. The diner design is based on several photos of real diners I saw online. The "stainless" is aluminum flashing. There are more photos on my Flickr account at http://www.flickr.com/photos/12482094@N07/. They're in the set titled model cars and dioramas.

Sam