Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell Customer Service

Makes sense seeing how much it cost them for shipping out replacement part. The Rear Glass and the tire came on a box with 2.34 worth of shipping on it, the Spindles cost another .68 cents id say the body will cost another 6.00-8.00.

Everything i called in to get replaced i was told by Revell's customer service that it has been the main parts they have had problems with in this kit. The man i talked to about the missing spindles said that in the 3 hours he have been answering the phone that morning he had several calls for missing spindles and 5 or 6 bodys split in half on the roof calls. The man told me most of the calls he gets is for problems with this kit. Im sure half of them are people with the older kit wanting free stuff.

Now to see how many more weeks it takes them to send me the replacement body, going on 7 weeks now.

I'm fine with Revell requiring proof of purchase, we all know someone that has abused the heck out of Revell's parts replacement policy. We're lucky they didn't shut the whole thing down with all the abuse of the replacement parts system over the years!

Alrighty then! This is the perfect place to relate an "abusing the system" story. This was related to me by the person who, at the time, was responsible for fielding the missing parts calls. Way back when Revell first did the 1959 Cadillac kit my friend got a request for parts that were missing from the "newly issued" kit in question. The missing parts were, as I recall, the tail lights, the tail light bezels (chrome), the wheels (chrome), the tires, the whitewall inserts and a few engine parts; basically parts missing from several different trees. This kinda raised my friend's "suspicious flag" (along with another thing that I'll relate in a bit). The requester had, generously, provided his phone number so my friend called him on the phone.

"Hi, this is so-and-so from Revell-Monogram. I'm calling in reference to your request for missing parts. We have a few questions."

"First off, we'd like to know where you purchased the kit."

"Uh ... at the hobby shop."

"Really? What's the name of that shop, sir?"

"Uh ... I don't know; it's the one across town."

"I see. Well, the reason I ask is that the the entire production run of the 1959 Cadillac kit is currently sitting on our loading dock preparing to be shipped."

"Uh ... <do something physically impossible> to yourself."

See, the kit had not left Revell nevermind gotten to any hobby shop. Seems to me that it wasn't too awfully long later that they quit sending out free "replacement parts."

Every time a "replacement parts" thread comes around, I remember this story.

Why aren't people allowed to purchase extra parts from Revell? If something is legitimately damaged, it would be easy to prove, and should be replaced without charge. If parts are missing, it's a little more difficult to produce proof of something that's not there. Unless it's one or two parts from the sprue that wound up on the floor in china. But why isn't there a section to just buy whatever parts you want? Maybe-doubtfully-enough people would be purchasing the same parts from a certain kit, and that would lead Revell to start issuing parts packs again? Of parts we actually want. But again, doubtful.

Two years ago , I bought a Revell 1969 Dart GTS 383 from a seller on eBay . Full disclosure from the seller revealled "Kit's glass has scuff marks and tire burns..." , so there was no surprise when I opened the kit ; it was otherwise perfect.

Needing some replacement glass , and recognising that the 1968 GTS , et al. , shares glass with the '69 (as is so in "1:1") , I sent an email to Revell about purchasing replacement parts. I told them *exactly* what my intentions were ; that this was for an old issue , which was, ostensibly , of no defect-in-manufacture .

I didn't receive a response from Revell until about a week later . Their response was to the effect of (to paraphrase) : "Thank you for your parts replacement request. You should be expecting the requested parts within 4-6 weeks..."

True to their word , I received the parts in ~4 weeks , just as promised . I fully expected to find an invoice enclosed with the amount I owed them ; but to my surprise , no such invoice was included .

So , I sent another email to them , inquiring about payment . Their response was , in essence , "Don't worry about it . There's no charge for the parts ."

I couldn't believe it ! I actually felt guilty that they sent me replacement glass for a model from 1995 !

Talk about true P.R. :) .

My point : Just because they were kind enough to send me free parts does not mean that I --nor anyone else-- should abuse their largesse .

Thank you , again , Revell !

to answer the question about selling parts though, that sort of thing requires a whole payment structure be set up and at least someone available to answer calls and presumably take orders over the phone. and then charge like 10$ shipping for a part that presumably would cost like maybe 5$ or something to make it worth the while. that might buy you the sprue the part/parts you want came on or something, but with the expected landslide of calls (sarcasm) it would be a very fast money losing proposition. companies like revell aren't set up for retail sales themselves; they operate their warranty/problem department as a commitment to their customers. just introducing the taking of actual money into the equation causes large leaps in security and financial obligations to make it not worthwhile for a small time deal.

plus they figure in the case of needing spares for some other build etc you should just buy another kit.

jb

Two years ago , I bought a Revell 1969 Dart GTS 383 from a seller on eBay . Full disclosure from the seller revealled "Kit's glass has scuff marks and tire burns..." , so there was no surprise when I opened the kit ; it was otherwise perfect.

Needing some replacement glass , and recognising that the 1968 GTS , et al. , shares glass with the '69 (as is so in "1:1") , I sent an email to Revell about purchasing replacement parts. I told them *exactly* what my intentions were ; that this was for an old issue , which was, ostensibly , of no defect-in-manufacture .

I didn't receive a response from Revell until about a week later . Their response was to the effect of (to paraphrase) : "Thank you for your parts replacement request. You should be expecting the requested parts within 4-6 weeks..."

True to their word , I received the parts in ~4 weeks , just as promised . I fully expected to find an invoice enclosed with the amount I owed them ; but to my surprise , no such invoice was included .

So , I sent another email to them , inquiring about payment . Their response was , in essence , "Don't worry about it . There's no charge for the parts ."

I couldn't believe it ! I actually felt guilty that they sent me replacement glass for a model from 1995 !

Talk about true P.R. :) .

My point : Just because they were kind enough to send me free parts does not mean that I --nor anyone else-- should abuse their largesse .

Thank you , again , Revell !

I have always had good experience with Revell and their parts replacement program, it was last year I think and I was working on the 2010 Camaro kit, I messed the body up bad to the point I needed a replacement one, I emailed Revell and told them I messed up the body and was there any way I can buy one, I got reply back stating they thanked me for my honesty and to go ahead and do a parts replacement request and they would send me a new body.

Revell has great customer service. I have had them replace parts from kits I picked up at second hand stores. I just state that when I order the part, no issues so far.

Honestly is always the best policy!! I had the older suburu issued 3 n 1 kit and some of the newer shelby kits come with multiple rim options......

I e mailed revell to ask simply if i could buy additional tires for these model kits so i did not have bare rims in my parts box and i could use the extra rims/with tires for other models...... next thing i know i have a box from revell in the mail with 3 sets of rubber..... all the did was ask me the kit numbers and part numbers thats all they asked they did not tell me they would send the parts..... i was in disbeleif ! very awsome!!

I scanned through the entire Revell '50 Olds thread looking for info on the replacement pad-printed tires, so I'm asking here if the pad-printed replacement tires have the full WIDE whitewall identical to the decal version.

The question came up at this week's ACME club meeting. One of the guys built an absolutely stellar box-stocker, but the tire decals just ruin it.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

it would be nice to see Revell bring back the parts packs with new subject matter. For instance if they were to release just the engine/transmission from the 50 Oldsmobile kit(s), I would buy a dozen of each of the stock engine and the custom engine. One with an auto trans in the other with the standard trans, and one with tri power and the other one with a single four barrel. I would bet that those ones would sell very well. I can think of several wheel and tire sets and a few engines that would sell extremely well as parts packs.

I scanned through the entire Revell '50 Olds thread looking for info on the replacement pad-printed tires, so I'm asking here if the pad-printed replacement tires have the full WIDE whitewall identical to the decal version.

The question came up at this week's ACME club meeting. One of the guys built an absolutely stellar box-stocker, but the tire decals just ruin it.

Yes, they do, Bill. And they look GREAT.

Charlie Larkin

it would be nice to see Revell bring back the parts packs with new subject matter. For instance if they were to release just the engine/transmission from the 50 Oldsmobile kit(s), I would buy a dozen of each of the stock engine and the custom engine. One with an auto trans in the other with the standard trans, and one with tri power and the other one with a single four barrel. I would bet that those ones would sell very well. I can think of several wheel and tire sets and a few engines that would sell extremely well as parts packs.

I'd like to purchase about a dozen or so mirrors from the early-mid '60s GM cars for a lot of the builds I have going on.

If anyone has mirrors to spare, please let me know.

Charlie Larkin

• 2 weeks later...

Before I finished my 71' Plymouth Hemi cuda, I had started on a 69' Z28 Camaro. I had completed the engine and was working on the chassis, I was putting it together,I got to the step to put on the rear axle. I COULDN'T FIND IT ANYWHERE!!! I knew I had it, and for a week I searched my house. If you have seen pictures of my workbench I keep things very organized as well as my house so finding it should have been easy....wrong... I was very upset. It was not connected to the tree when I first oPened the box, and I had put it in a container, then painted it with all of my other black parts. But it wasn't anywhere when I was ready to assemble it. So I wrote Revell and told them if there was anyway I could purchase another, and told them truthfully it was completely my fault and it was in the box, but I had misplaced it, ensured I wasn't trying to be mishonest, and once again was willing to pay for it plus shipping. it's been 3 weeks since I sent that message and I finished the 71' cuda. Well to my surprise the wife goes to get the mail and she gives me a small 1" by 3" x 4" box that has a Revell logo. It took a second for me to realize, maybe it's the rear axle! And sure enough, there it was!!! Wrapped in plastic and trimmed perfectly off the tree. I guess honesty goes a long way, I didn't have to pay for anything. Wish I had a way of calling the rep that handled my request because I would definitely thank them 10 fold.

Hello Josh...It's nice to hear you had a pleasent dealing with Revell. Everytime I've needed a replacement for a defect or missing part they have been OUTSTANDING!

It's nice to see this kind of service from Revell.

As a matter of fact, I've been building models for about 45 years now and Revell (Monogram) have always been first class in customer service.

Thanks to everyone at REVELL!

Vernon Hayden

I have to agree 100% about revell's/monograms customer service. My stepson and I were working on a monogram 70 roadrunner and he was doing a great job then ol' stepdad spilled soda on his decals. By the time we were ready to put them on his replacement set came in the mail. Another time I had misplaced a whole set of hinges for my 40 ford p/u again told them it was my fault and asked for pricing on the parts so I could send a money order. I was starting to get a lil angry because I hadn't heard back from them when behold in the mail was box with said parts.

I too have to mention that i wrote them about the '50 Olds whitewalls not expecting much. Less than 2 weeks late was a package with 3 beautiful sets of immaculate wide whitewalls - gratis.

I was just at the Masscar show and was yakking with the Revell rep in their booth. I asked if they have plans to do any of the old Parts Paks or any new ones and got a very abrupt "No" answer. Then he said: "You don't want us to put old (someone's name) out of business do you?" as he indicated a guy nearby who was dismantling whole kits into highly overpriced baggies of parts. weird...............

I too have to mention that i wrote them about the '50 Olds whitewalls not expecting much. Less than 2 weeks late was a package with 3 beautiful sets of immaculate wide whitewalls - gratis.

I was just at the Masscar show and was yakking with the Revell rep in their booth. I asked if they have plans to do any of the old Parts Paks or any new ones and got a very abrupt "No" answer. Then he said: "You don't want us to put old (someone's name) out of business do you?" as he indicated a guy nearby who was dismantling whole kits into highly overpriced baggies of parts. weird...............

That sounds like a snarky jab at someone that tries to profit from parting out kits. I wouldn't read too much into it.

Just got off the phone with Revell. Ordered my replacement body 4 days after the Foose 1/12 scale camaro kit was released (mine roof was split down the seam)......fast forward to Feb 26, i call back and ask about it and was told i needed to send in proof of buying it before a replacement would be issued, THANKS FOR CONTACTING ME AND LETTING ME KNOW ABOUT THAT A FEW WEEKS EARLYER!!!!!!!!. On Feb 28 Proof was sent and i got a reply email saying that my order was re-instated and would be mailed out in a few days.. Called back a few mins ago and now im told that my Re-instated order was lost in house and now my new order is at the back of the line with a entered date of March 4th...............OH AND THEY ARE OUT OF BODYS NOW AND IT COULD TAKE "A FEW MONTHS" TO GET MORE IN........GREAT!!!! Ive only had to wait 3 BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH months for this body, now i have to wait a few months more.........REVELL YOU HAVE LOST ME AS A CUSTOMER!!!!!! As soon as this body shows up im selling the BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH kit and NEVER looking back.....GOOD BYE REVELL!!!!!

I sent a request for replacement via the website for the fender/chassis part for the 1950 Ford f1 truck. They were warped/twisted so badly they are not salvageable. The website rejected me 3 times...I thought I was doing something wrong. I emailed customer service and received a response back that I would need to send in the barcode from the package. I have complied and now am waiting...I will update when/if I receive part. I also enclosed a picture of the part so they could see the issue.

Just got off the phone with Revell. Ordered my replacement body 4 days after the Foose 1/12 scale camaro kit was released (mine roof was split down the seam)......fast forward to Feb 26, i call back and ask about it and was told i needed to send in proof of buying it before a replacement would be issued, THANKS FOR CONTACTING ME AND LETTING ME KNOW ABOUT THAT A FEW WEEKS EARLYER!!!!!!!!. On Feb 28 Proof was sent and i got a reply email saying that my order was re-instated and would be mailed out in a few days.. Called back a few mins ago and now im told that my Re-instated order was lost in house and now my new order is at the back of the line with a entered date of March 4th...............OH AND THEY ARE OUT OF BODYS NOW AND IT COULD TAKE "A FEW MONTHS" TO GET MORE IN........GREAT!!!! Ive only had to wait 3 ###### months for this body, now i have to wait a few months more.........REVELL YOU HAVE LOST ME AS A CUSTOMER!!!!!! As soon as this body shows up im selling the ###### kit and NEVER looking back.....GOOD BYE REVELL!!!!!

Running Production Change perhaps ? Maybe they're fixing the tooling or packaging process ; this would understandibly take some time to get up & running .

I'm not saying this to dimish your anger and anxiety . It's an expensive kit to be certain ! I'm just introducing a hypothetical scenario .

I'm thinking about this ordering parts to on revell I had bought a 49 mercury wagon and had all four hub caps with white spots on them were the chrome was not applied to them so I placed in a order and this was back when the kit first came out and I finaly called them and after three days I had a return call telling me to send in the upc code and they would replace them for me at no cost and as of tonight I still have not recived them form revell.Also I was missing a valve cover for the 69 nova and I put this order in on 3-6-14 and still wating to get a e mail or somthing from them about this. I sure hope they are on this board and read some of the topics about this.I sure hope this is somthing that is not going to be a issue with them I have been a long time customer with them for well over 30 years most of the models I bulid are from Revell too.