Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell Customer Service

I had a similar experience, of bad customer service a few months back with Revell, and Model King. With a 57 ford Custom Police car. I bought a sealed kit undamaged appearing kit, after opening found broken Special police parts unique to that kit. Sent a request to Revell for replacement parts. Recived a E-mail that they wanted to have me send broken parts back to them before they would honor my request. I asked them if pictures would be sufficient,or if they would like to handle the shipping cost. "I figured I had already Bought the Kit why should I pay for shipping too"

The response from Revell was they did not have in stock any extra parts for the kit to send me. Extra parts were sent to Dave Metzner of Model King, and that parts requests for damaged, or missing parts needed to be directed to Dave. Revell did supply me with Dave Metzner's phone number.

The conversation I had with Dave about this. Ended with Dave telling me he had no extra parts, and that I needed to contact Revell for replacement parts.

Revell wants me to contact Dave Again. If does not produce the parts then to contact Ed Sexton.

I JUST GAVE UP AFTER THIS!

My opinions of Revell and Dave Metzner have taken an all time low. As a former loyal, and supportive consumer. I feel that this Customer Service sucks.

I guess whether it's Moebius, or some other Model Manufacturer. Sometimes you get good service, and Sometimes not.

I've been raiding a Revell Hemi Dart kit for my Barracuda build and I just noticed something: my kit came without the Keystone wheels. Can someone please post a picture of the second chrome sheet? Looks like I'm missing a bunch of little bits for the Hemi too.

How is Revell's customer service? I bought this kit from my LHS and it was a mint, factory sealed kit.

Wow…. what the heck is with manufacturers ?!?!? This is from Revells web site:

If a kit is missing several pieces, or is severely damaged, the first course of action is to return the kit to place of purchase. If vendor does not accept return, we may request complete kit (incomplete kit returns will not be reviewed) be returned to Revell at your expense. If it is determined missing parts or kit damage is Revell's fault, kit will be replaced, at Revell's expense, with a similar kit. If it is determined the kit met all of our quality expectations, Revell will return kit to sender with no additional responsibility on Revell's side.

To receive replacement part, the following must be submitted via regular mail:

1) Original sales receipt.

2) UPC code cutout from the box.

3) Photocopy of instruction sheet, with requested part circled, to assist in quickly identifying required part.

If above items are not included with correspondence, parts request may be denied.

Now, if I send them my kit (yeah, right….), which is missing an entire chrome tree, they clearly state they will NOT review incomplete kits. Now isn't that a neat little loophole to avoid responsibility, especially since I'm missing an entire set of wheels and who-knows-what-else? I'm not building it right now, I'm just using what I can take from any Dart kit. But it kind of leave a bad taste, especially after reading a similar rant about Mobius in another thread.
Anyone here can add some info on what to expect from Revell if I do pursue this?
Edited by FASTBACK340

Thanks Lee for the offer, but let's see what Revell does first. I'm not planning on building it right away, but fortunately I noticed it now, and not…. well, who knows. YEARS from now I would have found out and I would have no recourse with Revell, or at the least had more difficulty.

I haven't asked a manufacturer for a missing/damaged part in almost 20 years :)

Good luck John.I have only had GREAT service from Revell.I had to try to get a missing part or two over the past 5 years and they have been very good at sending me what I needed.I fear that some people abuse it by trying to get parts all the time,and,that is why they say that.

+1 for Revell.

I bought an opened Revell kit at a thrift store. The kit was missing the glass.

I emailed Revell, and even told them that I bought the open kit from a Goodwill store.

About 10 days later, the glass arrived in my mailbox at no charge!

I don't buy many kits, but I will always reach for Revell when I do!

Revell was great with me, my 49 Mercury Custom's engine was badly warped, so I sent a email with a photo and had a new one sent in 2 weeks :) !

Another one that I haven't worried about was the Special Edition 62 Impala 2 n 1, the 'A' pillar was crushed, seems as though the body was packed on the side of the box!

I bought this from the former 'Model Express' in Canada and Dennis supplied me another complete kit free of charge, now I have spares...cool B)

• 2 weeks later...

Last Saturday night I sent Revell a request for a front axle and tie rod for the Kurtis Kraft midget kit I'm building(The original set grew legs and wandered off my work bench).The website said normal time to process the request and receive items is 6 to 8 weeks.I prepared myself to wait that length of time,no big deal.Yesterday the mailman brought me a litlle box from Revell with my two requested parts! Thanks to them for the VERY quick response!More companies should be like this.

Not a rant, but a minor problem with Revell.

While raiding parts from my new Hemi Dart kit I noticed no Drag wheels. I had the stock hub covers, but not the Keystones. Or the Hemi's valve covers. An entire second sheet of chrome was deleted from my kit. I used the on-line request form & explained that the chrome sheet was missing, the one containing the Keystone drag rims and gave the part numbers of the rims. Today I received 2 front Keystone rims and the 2 rear inner chrome wheel halves. Aside from the fact it took 3 weeks (which is NOT a problem, I can wait….) it wasn't what I had requested.

Think I'll stand a better chance of trying to call? Or should I inventory the kit and request every single piece by part number via the on-line service?

I think I trusted my optimism that it would be read and they'd understand an entire sheet of parts was missing. Not throwing stones, just want to have a complete kit. Thanks for any advice.

I to requested a missing part. I bought the new 69 Mustang Convertible, and while going through the kit I noticed the hood was missing. I went to there wed site and filled out the form, emailed it away and a couple weeks later I got my replacement hood. THANKS REVELL. The shipping charge along was almost half the price of the kit, how long can they keep this up? KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK. THANKS REVELL!

FYI, Revell is now requiring you send in the UPC and a copy of your recipt in order to get replacement parts. I called yesterday about the replacement body (due to mine being crushed in the box), i had ordered for mine the week it was released and still havent got it but the missing tire, front spindles and broken rear glass that was ordered a month later have shown up last week.

They said that they have been flooded with people ordering "missing" parts from the older release that they are now requiring proof in order to get replacements (i was quite upset about the delay and them not notifying me about needing proof and i was allowed to email them a picture of the UPC and payment from Paypal).

I was also told that if you order a part and find that another is missing then you will need to pay for it, in other words when you open your kits make sure that every part is there. Everyone knew this was going to happen sooner or later, looks like its here!!!

Edited by jrherald420

They said that they have been flooded with people ordering "missing" parts from the older release that they are now requiring proof in order to get replacements

"Hi, Revell? I need four Eagle ST tires for this kit, and a decal sheet with the white stripes!" :lol:

Both kits I purchased were complete with no damage, and the tires in the second kit were slightly better than those in the first kit, too.

FYI, Revell is now requiring you send in the UPC and a copy of your recipt in order to get replacement parts. I called yesterday about the replacement body (due to mine being crushed in the box), i had ordered for mine the week it was released and still havent got it but the missing tire, front spindles and broken rear glass that was ordered a month later have shown up last week.

They said that they have been flooded with people ordering "missing" parts from the older release that they are now requiring proof in order to get replacements (i was quite upset about the delay and them not notifying me about needing proof and i was allowed to email them a picture of the UPC and payment from Paypal).

I was also told that if you order a part and find that another is missing then you will need to pay for it, in other words when you open your kits make sure that every part is there. Everyone knew this was going to happen sooner or later, looks like its here!!!

Requiring proof or purchase is understandable. But having to pay for parts that are either missing from the kit, or broken, is just another showing of revell's poor quality control from the factory.

"Hi, Revell? I need four Eagle ST tires for this kit, and a decal sheet with the white stripes!" :lol:

Both kits I purchased were complete with no damage, and the tires in the second kit were slightly better than those in the first kit, too.

Both kits i bought, one from Mega Hobby 2 months before it was released and another from GMS on ebay 2 days after the release, showed up damaged AND missing parts. I wish i could say otherwise but it is what it is!

Requiring proof or purchase is understandable. But having to pay for parts that are either missing from the kit, or broken, is just another showing of revell's poor quality control from the factory.

I completely understand requiring Proof of Purchase, Revell has been behind the game on that for a long time now. What got me was the 2nd part. I don't know how many people will open every bag in a kit and inspect every single part when they first open a new kit.

Edited by jrherald420

I completely understand requiring Proof of Purchase, Revell has been behind the game on that for a long time now. What got me was the 2nd part. I don't know how many people will open every bag in a kit and inspect every single part when they first open a new kit.

From you statement, it sounds like they'll continue to supply missing pieces once, but not when made via multiple, separate requests. It'd be nice of there were never any missing nor damaged parts in a factory sealed kit, but I think Revell's policy is reasonable. They're willing to send the parts, but they want you to do a thorough inspection and request what you need in a single request.