Model Cars Magazine Forum

"Low-tus" Europa Special... final assembly!

jaymcminn

I've been thinking about building a Lotus Europa for a while and finally scored the Tamiya kit on Ebay for a reasonable price. I've always rather liked the Europa- it looks sort of like a Miura that was hit with an ugly stick!The initial plan was to go with a factory-stock build, but online pics of lowered and modded Europas started me thinking about something a little cooler. I have a set of Fujimi Minilite wheels that have been in search of a project for a while that seemed perfect for the build I'm going for, but I needed to get the stance right for them to work. I actually cut the front frame box off the backbone to move it up a little and repositioned the rear trailing arms a little higher. After several hours work, here is where it sits...

P1030131_zps338c38e2.jpg

P1030133_zps4c595a10.jpg

P1030130_zpsf74bb644.jpg

Plans are for pearl orange paint with rockers and wheel centers in gunmetal. Interior will probably be various shades of grey. There will be mild engine/exhaust work done as well, and the chrome exterior trim will probably be blacked out. I've ordered some Aoshima tuner-style wings and one of them will probably find its way, in modified form, onto the rear deck. I don't plan on doing Chip Foose-style bodywork here, because I like the Europa's quirky shape just the way it is...

As always, questions/suggestions welcome!

Edited by jaymcminn

The TV show Overhauling did one of these up...but WAY up! Was not much of the original parts or body lines left.

I liked it. Maybe Google some info for ideas?

Bob

EDIT: Google search...

https://www.google.ca/search?q=Overhauling+Lotus+Europa&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

Edited by turn1wonder

My brother in law had a Europa John Player SPL black and gold. He put gold mini-lites on it. GREAT looking car, fantastic to drive...a bit quirky.....the cars were hand built and when you worked on them you could see hand welds and hammer marks on the chassis!! Bodies were hand laid glass. Not a car I'd want to get in a crash with....the wishbone chassis had almost ZERO side protection for passengers. That and the car ATE power window motors!!

I love Europa's. It was actually the first Tamiya kit I ever built. I really enjoyed building it and I'm itching for another one to build. I built mine as a Lotus 47 because I loved the look of the real one, I actually have a picture on myself next to the real 47 race car. Please forgive the poor quality of the model, I believe this was the third model I built

6849A9B1-vi.jpg

Austin, that looks great... especially for a third model! I got the wheel centers painted today before work.. I'll get pics up tomorrow.

My brother in law had a Europa John Player SPL black and gold. He put gold mini-lites on it. GREAT looking car, fantastic to drive...a bit quirky.....the cars were hand built and when you worked on them you could see hand welds and hammer marks on the chassis!! Bodies were hand laid glass. Not a car I'd want to get in a crash with....the wishbone chassis had almost ZERO side protection for passengers. That and the car ATE power window motors!!

I was thinking about the black-and-gold scheme, but wanted something a little more wild... and yeah, the body on the kit is probably thicker than the body on the actual car. Power windows in a Europa sounds a little incongruous...

..I was thinking about the black-and-gold scheme, but wanted something a little more wild... and yeah, the body on the kit is probably thicker than the body on the actual car. Power windows in a Europa sounds a little incongruous...

Mainly because once you squeeze into the seat...no room for window winder handles!!!!

So I had a little spare time today and decided to tackle a custom dual exhaust for the Lotus. I had some exhaust trumpets left over from my Hasegawa Ferrari 250TR build (I used a set of aftermarket turned aluminum trumpets)and thought they'd look pretty cool on the Lotus. The stock exhaust looks pretty lame, so I started playing. This is my first time building up an exhaust like this. I started with a parts box muffler which I mounted temporarily on the frame with Kristal-Klear. I then bent some styrene rod to shape over a candle flame...

P1030139_zps73731f1e.jpg

These were the best two. I mounted them to the muffler...

P1030140_zps77482c09.jpg

and bent a pipe to connect the header to the muffler. Here's everything all mocked up.

P1030141_zpse559ca40.jpg

P1030142_zps9ae37126.jpg

Finally, I cut the second hole in the body and reshaped the original one for the new exhaust and pinned and glued the trumpets to the exhaust. Here it is all mocked up- I like it!

P1030150_zpsab7e5c84.jpg

I received a set of tuner-style wings from Aoshima and mocked one up on the rear deck. It looks pretty aggressive. Since these pics, I scratchbuilt new end plates for the wing. I also adjusted the rear ride height up a bit... it was sitting too low before. It looks meaner now. The wheel centers were also painted gunmetal.

P1030148_zpsa2ae6667.jpg

P1030146_zpsf3019afe.jpg

P1030145_zpsa7ddde1f.jpg

I removed the molded-in fuel filler necks on the rear deck to assist in blending in the separate rear window surround. I added them back in from sprue later. The bodywork was done in Bondo two-part glazing putty.

P1030149_zps0c8d97c7.jpg

Next up, I'll probably continue with the mechanical work on the engine and chassis.