Model Cars Magazine Forum

The Most Embarrassing Cars To Drive

• 2 weeks later...

My daughter was fortunate enough to drive my pristine 1987 Lincoln Towncar to high school. It was plush, easy to drive, safe, carried her friends, and she never complained. Oh, yeah....it had terry cloth towels on all the seats to keep the upholstery like new (matching color, of course). She was a pretty good sport about it.

I did have a friend in high school (1962-1966) who would drive his parent's Citroen. It was that ugly faded blue....not that it could have looked good in any color. It did, however, have that cool automatic leveling system. I felt embarrassed for him. But then, maybe my mom's 1960 Rambler American station wagon wasn't exactly a muscle car showpiece, either. Yeah, my sometimes "ride". It did have something every boy in the school wanted, though ---fully reclining seats (in the era of drive-ins and hidden overlooks for "parking").

Its not a looker but the interior is nice and its a blast to drive, also probably the only other CUV you can get with a Manual.

The Mazda CX5 can be equipped with a manual. Now the styling might be polarizing for some, but it is leaps and bounds better looking than a Juke. As for the other cars on the list, and H2 is more vehicle than anyone should need, but GM rode those coat tails until the bitter end with all the rappers and celebrity's that wanted them. For day to day it would be cumbersome, but for what it is I am sure it is a capable vehicle. I had a Mini Cooper for awhile and took lots of flak for driving one. Suprised it didn't make the list. I suppose beauty is in the eye of the beholder (beer holder?)

My daughter was fortunate enough to drive my pristine 1987 Lincoln Towncar to high school. It was plush, easy to drive, safe, carried her friends, and she never complained. Oh, yeah....it had terry cloth towels on all the seats to keep the upholstery like new (matching color, of course). She was a pretty good sport about it.

Back about '05-'06, just before I retired, traffic worked an accident wherein a young lady was nearly killed by a pedestrian overpass that collapsed onto I 55. Baby girl was driving an '87 Grand Marquis the size of which was, as we all know, comparable to my first apartment. Now she wasn't protected by the massive car per se, she came out unscathed because her father taught her how to drive that behemoth. Drive as in defensive manuvers that would make an EVOC instructor tremble in fear type drive. Baby girl listened to her dad, and he taught her well. Outcome was a new bumper, and miles of safe driving ahead. Embarrassing for the kid or not, that ride served her well.

G

if a hhr is embarrassing what about these.Must of been designed by the same group as an astec.to me they are for the guy who wanted a truck but wife wouldn't let him segment of the market

1280px-1st-Chevrolet-Avalanche_zpseb3722

I actually kinda liked those, had enough seating for 5, a small bed area in the back that could be extended into the rear seating area if needed. Best part was that it was shorter than an crew cab pickup with a real bed, but since that back wall to the cab could be removed, you had a decent sized cargo area, unlike those trucks that have a separate bed that is only a few feet long.

The HHR is not an embarrassing car. I've owned two of them. One 2007 in Imperial Blue and the current Victory Red 2010. Both were panel versions. I'm sad that Chevy discontinued them. I would be buying my third now. They could have redesigned the front to better reflect current corporate looks and gotten a few more years out of a decent vehicle. 2010HHRPanel001-1.jpg

Hey Harry, could you photoshop a current Chevy look to the front of one of these?

I've never understood the whole deal about the Hummer H2 being environment unfriendly. It's based on the Chevy Tahoe! It can get double digit fuel economy and isn't that large. There are loads of vehicles that get worse mileage...Ford Excursion V10 anyone?

As for the SSR, a 400hp 6-speed convertible pickup isn't exactly embarrassing. Sure the front is a bit ugly, but the smoke from the burnout you did can certainly cover that up! :lol:

My wife drives a Ford Excursion. V10, 4x4. It's not embarrassing at all..............until you have to fill up the tank twice in one day.......at the same station...........

(small town living)

I have two teenage boys with long legs, we need lots of legroom. Plus pull a trailer to carry mowers for "their" lawn mowing business.

10 miles per gallon, 11 mpg on a rare day. Uphill, downhill, pulling a load, not pulling anything, hot, cold, wind to the front, wind to the back, 10 mpg. Period.

But it sure does haul a lot of stuff though.

Talk about embarrassing, (especially to a Ford guy), my sister drives a Hyundai Sonata. Ugly. So many little things are broken on it, like the window switches, trim pieces, gas door, hood latch. The paint is flaking off. But it still runs, so she keeps driving it! Ugly. Not funny.

My wife drives a Ford Excursion. V10, 4x4. It's not embarrassing at all..............until you have to fill up the tank twice in one day.......at the same station...........

(small town living)

I have two teenage boys with long legs, we need lots of legroom. Plus pull a trailer to carry mowers for "their" lawn mowing business.

10 miles per gallon, 11 mpg on a rare day. Uphill, downhill, pulling a load, not pulling anything, hot, cold, wind to the front, wind to the back, 10 mpg. Period.

But it sure does haul a lot of stuff though.

Talk about embarrassing, (especially to a Ford guy), my sister drives a Hyundai Sonata. Ugly. So many little things are broken on it, like the window switches, trim pieces, gas door, hood latch. The paint is flaking off. But it still runs, so she keeps driving it! Ugly. Not funny.

Shoulda got the Diesel.

Me, Personnelly, Love The Excursion.

Ford basiclly built it for One Reason.. To be bigger than the Surburban..

Then California Pissed and moaned about it till they canceled it..

So the story goes..