Model Cars Magazine Forum

Whats the most you would spend on a model.?

Now what you all mean i use to buy the c1500 & c3500 for around 15 shipped off there now u cant touch them for under 30

Now for the topic it varies on the kit put a cap onit and dont go over it the most i paid was like 50 shipped and it was my chevy fan race team but i bought a turbine for under 25 unbuilt in box and ive watched them go for 50+

My motto " theres always another one out there " i think part of the fun of finding a kit you want is the hunt same thing when your trying to find your dream 1:1 car

I tend to cap it at $100 for something really neat, but my record was just under $400 for a mint original issue AMT Hurst Hemi under Glass kit.

But it has to be a rare built-up or a nice resin for me to drop that C note.... I hate paying $25 for a new issue as it is! I remember the $1.98 days back when.... <%$#@ IT> I'm channeling my Father!

For the most part I try to keep it under $70 for most new releases, however this limit only applies to 1/24 kits. but the most I have spent on any one kit is $450 on the 1/12 carrer. I fyou included aftermarket parts towards the kit then it would be the new Enzo at $400 plus the $300 worth of aftermarket in the mail on its way.

I've spent $150 once or twice (one being an AMT Grand Prix racing team; '53 Ford pickup, trailer, and AC Cobra). I haven't got any of the drag team kits; I'd like one, but won't pull the trigger because every one I've seen close up has been messed with in one way or another. The same goes for promo models now; most of the ones I see at shows have been doctored up (repaints, Future applied over scuffed original metallic finish, replacement plated parts but dull original wheels, things like that). I was fortunate enough to get the good ones I do have when they were only a few years old, before the prices went through the roof.

I did get a couple of AMT '58 (and Jo-Han '59) annual kits in below the $150 mark, but that was a while back. I'm down to looking for a handful of kits now; anything else I buy usually gets resold at some point.

I almost spent $280 for an AMT Nova Crew Wagon kit (last issue before the Boss Nova). It was described as (and guaranteed to be) complete, but was somewhat less than that upon arrival. The seller didn't want to take it back, and offered to knock it down to $100. I took the offer, as I had the missing parts. I didn't need another builder, but I did want the mint condition box. I can still sell another builder kit and bring the cost of that one down a bit.

The most I've ever spent on an automotive kit was $75.00 for a Union GT40 MkII. But that's a drop in the bucket compared to my armor puchases. Top of the list there is a 1:35 Morser Karl Gerat (the largest self propelled artillery piece ever built) at $120 for the kit and about $350 for all the P.E., resin and turned aluminum accessories available for it.

Back around 1990 I was still trying to collect all the Mopar kits. There was a vendor who had mint condition Little Red Wagon and Fireball 500 for $150 each. I told him I was going to go find a cash machine, and by the time I came back he had sold them! He said he didn't think I was coming back! Man was I ticked at the time. I had been looking for those kits!

And time heals all wounds. In due time both kits were reissued and I got them for new kit prices! I felt good then!

• 2 weeks later...

I reallllyyyy wanted this Revell '93 Baretta V6 twin turbo kit (think it was a '93) that was molded in black and for some reason I think ppl kit bashed it really bad for the chassis/tub/cage and various parts, not necessarily for the build. I thought the engine was pretty sweet myself. It also came in an orange mold and someone (unmentioned, who's Ebay prices for donor parts are way higher than our own resin folks) had it listed for $199 or equivalent. Others were $39 to $59 for black molded kits. It had sweet big rear meats too.

Edited by MitchP

I reallllyyyy wanted this Revell '93 Baretta V6 twin turbo kit (think it was a '93) that was molded in black and for some reason I think ppl kit bashed it really bad for the chassis/tub/cage and various parts, not necessarily for the build. I thought the engine was pretty sweet myself. It also came in an orange mold and someone (unmentioned, who's Ebay prices for donor parts are way higher than our own resin folks) had it listed for $199 or equivalent. Others were $39 to $59 for black molded kits. It had sweet big rear meats too.

Ok........

and so the answer to the question of what's the most you would spend on a model is... ??? :blink:

I don't know that I've ever set a limit to the amount I would spend on building a single model car, although I have several resin kits bought over the years that ranged in the $90-$100 price range.

Of course, the older I get, and the closer to inevitable retirement, I suspect my days of going that far price-wise are pretty much behind me. That's not because I have some set prejudice toward a maximum price I'd pay, but simple economics has a way of doing it for anyone, and one of these days, that "anyone" likely will be me.

Art

I don't know that I've ever set a limit to the amount I would spend on building a single model car, although I have several resin kits bought over the years that ranged in the $90-$100 price range.

Of course, the older I get, and the closer to inevitable retirement, I suspect my days of going that far price-wise are pretty much behind me. That's not because I have some set prejudice toward a maximum price I'd pay, but simple economics has a way of doing it for anyone, and one of these days, that "anyone" likely will be me.

Art

Wow! Art spent money!!!

I've got about $250 in my 1:8 deuce at this point.

This includes 2 big deuce kits, a few small specialized tools & a small stock of aluminum to work with.

My bigest investment at this point is time.

I've got a couple hundred hours mining & gathering good information over the past 8 months or so...& that's on-going as the build progresses.

Then there's engineering time...figguring out how...then usually a couple of failed attempts that I log as prototyping.

Then actual build time, after I've got good crisp pictures in my brain to guide me.

Interestingly enough, the actual build time, on each of the parts, so far, has proven to be quite brief when compared to research & engineering.

When I factor in estimated costs for a welder & machine shop equipment necessary to build it the way I want to, I'm calculating that by the time it's finished, I'l have $2,500-$3,000 in it, plus couple thousand hours in labor, maby more.

Edited by Ognib

.....actual build time, on each of the parts, so far, has proven to be quite brief when compared to research & engineering.

I think that's the fun part.

the longer the building takes, the more money I would be willing to spend. I still view modeling as a time/ dollar equation.

to answer the question (which seems important), I would spend up to $2.00 per hour for modeling entertainment. so if a model took 100 hours to build, I would consider spending $200 for the kit, paint, sundries (blades, sandpaper, thinner), photo etch & resin accessories.

most of my hobbying costs me less than a dollar per hour. i'm slow, like to research, and enjoy the process.

Set up a search on eBay for that kit. They'll email you whenever one is listed. You can bid on it, until you get one at a cheap price. You will eventually get one in the $20s. That's not a big money kit.