Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tamiya's LaFerrari, new pics, OP

martinfan5

I preordered mine... but sometimes that doesn't guarantee being in the first shipment, as I found out w/ the Gloria and Cedric that are now backordered...

If you recall I was complaining that when the Gloria & Cedric came in, I didn't get a Cedric with my Gloria. Then when the Rocket Bunny kits came in I magically bought a Cedric at the same time. I can't pretend to understand how their inventory works some times...

The two together are only (I realize to some people it's offensive to say only, but really it's not THAT much) $14.78.

Thats not a bad price, I mean lets say $15 for a P/E set and full Carbon Decal sheet, I am going to get both , but I think I am going to wait tell I am ready to ship

The two together are only (I realize to some people it's offensive to say only, but really it's not THAT much) $14.78.

It's not the price that's stopping me,it's that I have so many other kits i'm buying that the detail set will have to go on the backburner for a bit. :)

I can't figure out how they got this done for around $45.

LF-A $80 +

DBS $70 +

GT-R $60+

DBS w/PE $100+

I'm not complaining … just wondering what the difference is?

I paid $40 for my LFA, and $38.40 for the LaFerrari...the price on the GT-R and DBS are around $35.00 these days, at least at HLJ where there's usually 20% the Japanese MSRP on most things. The DBS w/P/E was also a special ABER P/E kit that was well above and beyond the P/E Tamiya themselves offered for the DBS, and was an extremely limited run. The price out of Japan will always be the retail price in Japan, then even when you factor in shipping it's still half-again as much as most U.S. retailers will have it on mark up. This kit hasn't seen daylight Stateside yet, I believe it's supposed to start shipping out tomorrow (Monday) and I'd expect it to be in that $65+ range on U.S. shelves. Those of us who order direct from Japan got it about a week earlier since it didn't have to ship anywhere on a container.

The extremely favorable exchange rate is working in our favor right now, as it's just shy of Y100 to $1, making the Y5000 price on the LFA work out to basically $50.

Edited by niteowl7710

I don't think the DBS or gtr r35 are even on the same planet as the lfa, Carrera gt, enzo or laferrari. The separate panel parts and having a detailed engine makes a big difference. Just my opinion.

Ben

I'm with ya there, the only thing about kits like the LFA, Enzo/FXX and Carrera is that for all that engine (and especially the entire drivetrain/suspension assembly of the LFA) when you get it all assembled you can't see a lick of it. The GT-R is the far worse offender with the "chunk 'o block" in the engine bay that makes painting it a royal PITA, but in the end all of them end up looking more or less the same.

Just got my laferrari. Very impressed so far. The only thing that could have been better in my opinion is separate brake calibers. They shouldn't be too hard to paint though because they are massive. I also got the photo etch set and carbon fibre decals. They look pretty good to me. Will start this car next week when I'm on holidays. :)

Ben

Thanks for the links those prices are much better than my LHS, mine charges in the low to mid $70's for all the new tamiya kits. I will have to check and see what it costs to ship to the US.

Well if you were to order it from HobbyLink Japan and ship it via SAL (what we call the "Slow Boat") then it looks like it'd cost $52.xx to your door at this moment in time. Could be a buck or two more or less depending on the exchange rate on any given day.

Thanks guys, I checked the price for shipping it's about $14.00 that's not to bad.

I just went to my LHS today to see the price on the La Ferrari kit $91.00 I was speech less, this is one of the reasons hobby shops go out of business, there is not a snow balls chance in hell I would pay that much.