Model Cars Magazine Forum

Looking for DETAILED plastic models of Ford Crown Vics

Hi there, new to this forum, but I'm going to jump right in!

I just drove a '93 Vic from Chicago to SF, and fell in love with it :wub:

I now want to build one and make a sort of tribute to it and all the cops who pulled me over in theirs B)

I haven't built models in ages, but when I did, I went mostly for Tamiya military kits, because of the fine detail.

Curiously, I'm only findng those Lindberg and Testors kits online, but their lack of detail is leaving me less than inspired.

Given that the Crown Vic is (well, was...) the most widely used car by police and taxi companies, why is it so hard to find a decent model kit of one???

it looks like this is all there is:

Testors (level 2)

Lindberg (level 2)

MotorMax (metal die cast)

Can someone please direct me to where I can find a highly detailed kit of one?

Thanks in advance!

Yes, I didn't notice the Testors was another diecast, thanks for letting me know!

So it looks like I'm out of luck, what a shame this best selling car hasn't been given its due by model kit companies....

Agreed. With just about every police department and government service in the civilized world using them I'm amazed there was never a full detail P 71 kit produced. The lindberg builds up fairly nice with some work but I'd really like a kit of the newer and last model.

My Lindberg. The wheels and caps are from the Modehaus

054018-vi.jpg

I did this one from a Testor's die cast kit. The kit was for a marked NYPD unit. I stripped the body and painted it Duplicolor Toreador red

cv012-vi.jpg

The Testors diecast builds up nicely so the fact it's metal isn't the end of the world!

There are a few other full size Fords, that were available in plastic and resin.

AMT did both a 1970 LTD and a police car version. The police car has been reissued a few times so it's available.

Missing Link Resin does a 1978 LTD and soon will offer a 1971 Galaxie 500 4 door sedan. I believe that All American Resins offered a 1975 LTD, but they no longer cast. It may be available on eBay from time to time.

Modelhaus casts a resin 1970 station wagon in a few different trim levels as well as a 1972 Custom & LTD 4 door sedans. They also do a 1965 Ford Custom 4 door sedan.

Hendrix casts a 1960 and 1963 Ford 4 door sedan for police conversions.

R&R cast a 1961 4 door sedan, 1962 wagon, 1963 4 door sedan, 1964 wagon and a 1967 sedan and wagon. We don't know what's up with R&R production right now since the owner died recently. Still, a lot of their product is in the hands of resellers.

Both my grandfather and father were big LTD / Crown Vic fans and owners. My grandfather started with a 1970 LTD and bought a new one every few years. My father had several, three at once. I used to kid him that his house looked like police headquarters. After they both died, I wound up with my father's 1989 Crown Vic and thought I'd drive it through the plate expiration. I wound up liking driving it and kept it for 6 years and over 200,000 miles. So I'd really like a resin of an 89-90!

MVC014S-vi.jpg

My Vic along with a friend's Caprice.

Wow! FordRodn and Tom, thanks for pics and all the good info on how to find at least some sort of Ford police models, even if they don't look like my (dearly departed) '93 Vic.

in the spirit of sharing, here's me wishing her goodbye at the salvage yard in Richmond, CA :wacko:

post-12404-0-85614500-1378503885_thumb.p

I don't know how to make the photo larger, sorry...

Edited by volumizer

• 1 year later...

You've inspired me to make one of these to accompany an Inspector figure

on the bench and near to final assembly.

I'm inquiring about this fantastic looking "Lindberg with ModelHaus wheels and caps"

May I ask what is the body colour named, what paint did you use to do it?

I have acquired the lindy, and the wheels, caps etc. but can't sleuth the paint you used.

Do you remember? And do you mind sharing ?

Great work! Beautiful!

Agreed. With just about every police department and government service in the civilized world using them I'm amazed there was never a full detail P 71 kit produced. The lindberg builds up fairly nice with some work but I'd really like a kit of the newer and last model.

My Lindberg. The wheels and caps are from the Modehaus

054018-vi.jpg

I did this one from a Testor's die cast kit. The kit was for a marked NYPD unit. I stripped the body and painted it Duplicolor Toreador red

cv012-vi.jpg

By civilised world, are you referring to just America? & maybe 1 or 2 other countries? Because there's more than 3 countries in the "civilised" world.... ?

There are MANY builds around of police cars using the Lindberg.kit .. probably just google the kit to see many. I'm not doing a cop car but am backdating one to the '92 CV my Dad had.

92CrownVicRubbed_DSC1963.jpg

92CrownVicRubbed_DSC1965.jpg

The CV's changed so little it's not difficult to change the year on the Lindberg.

There is a web site that deals in Police gear .. light bars and such ... but I don't have the addy off hand. Maybe someone else can supply it for you.

There are MANY builds around of police cars using the Lindberg.kit .. probably just google the kit to see many. I'm not doing a cop car but am backdating one to the '92 CV my Dad had.

92CrownVicRubbed_DSC1963.jpg

92CrownVicRubbed_DSC1965.jpg

The CV's changed so little it's not difficult to change the year on the Lindberg.

There is a web site that deals in Police gear .. light bars and such ... but I don't have the addy off hand. Maybe someone else can supply it for you.

I would rather mine be the'92...but I don't have your skill.

Sure is lookin' good!

And bringing back a ton of memories

I would rather mine be the'92...but I don't have your skill.

Sure is lookin' good!

And bringing back a ton of memories

My "skill" just comes from chopping tops since I was 12 years old and loving model bodywork, but it's nothing difficult and just takes a little practice. I showed just how that conversion was done in my build thread so others might see how to do it or even improve how I tackled the problem. Do show us how you come on your proposed build.

My "skill" just comes from chopping tops since I was 12 years old and loving model bodywork, but it's nothing difficult and just takes a little practice. I showed just how that conversion was done in my build thread so others might see how to do it or even improve how I tackled the problem. Do show us how you come on your proposed build.

You have something in common with the young fella my older Brother raised as his own son; Chopping tops, re-proportioning, contouring etc. at age nine!...TURKEY! I was so envious!

He builds custom "Hogs" nowadays somewhere in SoCal.

Thank for the tips and visuals

I don't think FordnCustom sees me, so I'll assume he also used Dupli-color on his Lindberg (?)

I've found that they make "Ford Prairie Tan Metallic" and that may not be what he used...but appears to be close enough for buskers.

Having read in other topics here, that; Tamiya primer first, is probably safest before using actual auto paint.

Heading out to O'Reilly's first thing tomorrow.

Oh! By the by, Foxer...I wasn't calling you "Turkey"

I meant the kid

• 1 year later...

image.thumb.jpg.4251d1f2c2b2775a15c0c2a9image.thumb.jpg.4a84c584d2e52964f80eab56Here's mine, I'm still trying to get the dio built.

And the figure...getting there.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Wow ,that came out great! Nice work on that interior. Always wanted to build one but just have not gotten to it yet. Again, Really, Really nice and the interior detail is just spectacular. 

Thank you. Jeff 

Mike, that would be Custom Squads. Tony makes the best and most accurate light bars and accessories for RMPs. For decals, there's The Police Decal Shop on eBay. The decals are first rate. Sorry, I can't provide a link. Only one per post, it seems. :) 

Wow ,that came out great! Nice work on that interior. Always wanted to build one but just have not gotten to it yet. Again, Really, Really nice and the interior detail is just spectacular. 

Thank you. Jeff 

Thanks! Not very good pics. I was trying to describe the floor mounted shotgun rack in front of the operator's seat in detail to another builder on the telephone, and took a few quick snaps. Notice one follicle from my eyebrow in the starboard side rear seat!

I didn't want to be accused of being a copycat so I gave mine a lower stance, (I just couldn't leave it missionary with, what's going to be a COOL looking Inspector figure) and I used Duplicolor GM Sand Metallic. And I didn't know about the white insert in their nozzles, used for "fanning" the paint, so I removed it and threw it away!!

I called Duplicolor thinking, by the way my paint job came out just globs and sags, that I must've bought a bum can. They are very nice and patient people by the by!

To make a long story longer; I had to start over, and had a hard time getting it all off the body and that's why it has the "witness" scratches in places...I'll do better next time.

I have a diecast N.Y.C. Police Department 2009 Unmarked CV that's almost ready for progress pics that I'll put up here as soon as I'm able.

Edited by 2n3/4 SFPD
Poor grammar

Mike, that would be Custom Squads. Tony makes the best and most accurate light bars and accessories for RMPs. For decals, there's The Police Decal Shop on eBay. The decals are first rate. Sorry, I can't provide a link. Only one per post, it seems. :) 

Hey! Thank you for the links.

I didn't know of Custom Squads...I've been waiting for my good friend Jeff of Policecarmodels to restock a few detail parts, so it's nice to know of other sources too.

The hubs and wheels at Custom Squads appear to be superior to anything I've seen!

• 7 years later...
On 11/9/2014 at 9:14 AM, Foxer said:

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc105/Foxerjr/92%20Crown%20Victoria/92CrownVicRubbed_DSC1963.jpg

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc105/Foxerjr/92%20Crown%20Victoria/92CrownVicRubbed_DSC1965.jpg

I just scored a rare All American Models '92 and have it allocated for making an '92 San Francisco Fire Department special

20231023_112743.jpg

ca_san_francisco_retired_car_(5)-1.jpg