Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

Why there you go see the point is we live in a world of high tech gadgets so really not the Gadgets Fault it's the dumb person behind the wheel Not using Common Sense. 

Has you witnessed the Dumb Broad with the Gadget (cellphone) I personally fell that anyone that uses a phone while driving at Any Speed should have their Driver license suspended for at least 6 months just perhaps that would get the point across here on California the 1st offense is $20.00 Fine add court cost and chum charges and comes to about only $120.00 

so really who is a Fault the Gadget, the Driver (yes) or the law for not makin it a more serious offense (agree)?

XJ6?

But if all those silly gadgets weren't there in the first place, we wouldn't have the problem of dimwit drivers paying more attention to their gadgets than to their driving.

It's illegal to have a TV screen within the driver's view. Why isn't it illegal to have that 7 inch "infotainment" screen in the driver's view? Isn't that just as distracting (if not more so) than a TV?

Lots of useful features in modern systems like SYNC, though, like navigation, iPod/phone integration, hard drive for music... with my old circa-2000 cars I have to use a cassette adapter to connect my iPod.  Also, a lot of the modern systems are voice activated for phone dialing, selecting songs, etc.

But if all those silly gadgets weren't there in the first place, we wouldn't have the problem of dimwit drivers paying more attention to their gadgets than to their driving.

It's illegal to have a TV screen within the driver's view. Why isn't it illegal to have that 7 inch "infotainment" screen in the driver's view? Isn't that just as distracting (if not more so) than a TV?

exactly my point, which those in support of gadgets do not get. My LIFE was endangered twice because of it. Maybe if it happens to them.....

Legal yes they are located below the dash along with the other information vital to the car operations Etc how fast one is going, Check engine light on ? any other system malfunction? We all take our eyes off the road to look at the instruments has has I call them how many times have one changed the CD playing while driving ? 

But had for me my rule First and Always comes First is it SAFE to  take my eyes off the road and reach for the beverage in the cup holder or perhaps change the radio station and cars have had these and othe gadgets for years along with adjusting the AC in the car doing 75mph

So no it not the Gadgets I worry about or look out for, its the people who NOT use Common Sense, So I pay a lot of attention to my surroundings first then look at my instrument cluster, Radio, AC open the sun roof or what ever comes to mind

i like the toys in my Car makes my driving more enjoyable ??

Thank You XJ6?

Lots of useful features in modern systems like SYNC, though, like navigation, iPod/phone integration, hard drive for music... with my old circa-2000 cars I have to use a cassette adapter to connect my iPod.  Also, a lot of the modern systems are voice activated for phone dialing, selecting songs, etc.

Rob, I know you're in the tech industry and think all of these gadgets are necessary. I get your viewpoiint.

But my question is simple: Why do you need to use your ipod while you drive?

Why not just focus on the job at hand (piloting a 2500 pound car through traffic) and play with your gadgets when you are at home?

So my question is simple: Why do you need to use your ipod while you drive?

Why not just focus on the job at hand (piloting a 2500 pound car through traffic) and play with your gadgets when you are at home?

So my question is simple: Why do you need to use your ipod while you drive?

Why not just focus on the job at hand (piloting a 2500 pound car through traffic) and play with your gadgets when you are at home?I

To listen to my music...same reason people used CDs and cassettes in cars (have you seen those types of media)?  And I wouldn't drive a 2500 lb car...my cars are over 4000lbs and my Jeep is almost 5000lbs. .:)

If you ask me, there is enough distracted driving going on without the need for ipads and ipods and phones and all this entertainment junk being put into them Why dont people try DRIVING instead of being entertained while they should be DRIVING???????

60 years ago, some cars had record players..I'm sure the curmudgeons said the same thing then..

Think about this. Record players (which only worked when a car was immobile anyway) tapes, radio, CDs, any other stored music palyback system...no big deal.

But there are TWO kinds of distractions available in a car. Music, radio, etc. doesn't require your PRIMARY attention to be diverted from the task of driving.

On the other hand, texting or using any mobile device that's not voice-activated (or that requires looking at ANY kind of screen) DOES REQUIRE YOUR PRIMARY ATTENTION TO BE DIVERTED, at least momentarily.

A 5-SECOND diversion at 55MPH is the length traveled of ONE FOOTBALL FIELD. A lot can happen in that span of distance and time that you might miss, fatally.

Fitting cars out as mobile entertainment centers, and then expecting people to use the technology responsibly, is simply ignoring the facts of human nature. 

Law enforcement people need constant mobile communications, as do arguably medical professionals and some others. But what is really so important that Joe or Josephine average needs to risk his or her life...and MINE...by diverting attention from the task of driving?

Research has proven conclusively that even having a conversation with someone else in the same car is a significant and dangerous distraction for most drivers.

Can we get real, please?

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Truckers still use CB's ??

Yes, but truckers with hundreds of thousands or even millions of miles on the road aren't 30MPH mommies either. 

Highly skilled driving professionals are a far cry from the clueless dweebs I see with their little screens in front of their faces every time I'm on the interstate.

And I'm sure there's been more than one car squashed by a trucker who was momentarily distracted by a CB channel change, etc.

Truckers still use CB's ??

Yes, but truckers with hundreds of thousands or even millions of miles on the road aren't 30MPH mommies either. 

Highly skilled driving professionals are a far cry from the clueless dweebs I see with their little screens in front of their faces every time I'm on the interstate.

And I'm sure there's been more than one car squashed by a trucker who was momentarily distracted by a CB channel change, etc.

Ah Good Point indeed Yes.....indeed sir ?

XJ?

I've seen a lot of what is available in late model vehicles...I just have no interest in any of it.  That's why I'm still driving a 2004 truck.  I don't see the need for a rear view camera, for example...just make the windows big enough to see out of, then turn your head and use the mirrors, like people used to do.  There are times when the simpler way works better.  That said, I should think about picking up a new vehicle before much more of this garbage becomes mandatory... 

One reason of late I've been reading up on and familiarizing myself w/ current car infotainment systems is I'm thinking of trading my vehicles in on something new before the end of the year... my commute will quite likely be getting longer in the near future, a move to a higher traffic metro area in the next 6 months is likely, and 15 yr old vehicles w/ 130k and 160k won't cut it anymore..need something new (and too many old car repairs starting to be needed).  My '11 STS, while I enjoy it, is kind of dated..it's basically an '05 design that wasn't updated much (and it's starting to have reliablity issues, even w/ only 40k miles)

Edited by Rob Hall

Rob, when we were due for an upgrade of the family car,  I found a 2006 Buick LaCrosse with 32,000 old man miles on it and paid $8000 cash.  No electronic light show on the dash,  great car that drives and looks new, and it's paid for!    I bought it around Thanksgiving so it now has 38,000 miles on it and the wife loves to drive it.

Rob, when we were due for an upgrade of the family car,  I found a 2006 Buick LaCrosse with 32,000 old man miles on it and paid $8000 cash.  No electronic light show on the dash,  great car that drives and looks new, and it's paid for!    I bought it around Thanksgiving so it now has 38,000 miles on it and the wife loves to drive it.

I'm still under 50 :) .even though I do like 'old man' cars like the Grand Marquis and Town Car, realistically I want something more 2015 than 1995 as far as the tech and something that gets better gas mileage... thinking maybe a 300, Charger, CTS, MKZ, MKS, maybe a Fusion or Taurus. Something comfortable for the daily grind and for road trips, and I really don't need an SUV this time..I've bought used before, but generally prefer to get something new and keep for 10 or more years..don't want something already 10 years old.

Edited by Rob Hall

I swear I think alot of people on here haven't spent any time in a late model car..they seem to have no comprehension of the typical infotainment systems of today.  SMH

As for me, I rent late-model vehicles frequently while I'm out of town. All the little toys are neato keen, but really pretty much useless from a mission standpoint...the mission being getting to my destination. I can read a map, so I don't need navigation. I rarely have to make or answer a call that can't wait til I'm stopped. I never need to look up something on the web while I'm in motion either.

It can all wait.

Unless you're law enforcement, actively working on a cancer cure, or are involved in some other critical science where every minute counts, I just don't get the perceived "need" for anything much beyond music playback...and hands-free phone capability for people who really NEED to be reachable every minute.

I must just be too old to be cool, huh?

And just for the record, I've had ONE minor collision that was my own fault in 50 years on the road (while momentarily distracted) and have avoided countless others because I was focused on the primary task of driving.

Do you still own your Jaguar ??

XJ6?

I wouldn't trust a Jaguar on a 20 mile trip...heard too many horror stories.. :)   Cadillacs and my Jeep have been good to me, though.  

Must kinda depend on who works on them.

My '86 XJ-6 went over 25,000 trouble free miles after I put the 700R4 gearbox in it, for a total of about 125,000 now. Still have it, starts every time, only let me down on the road once.

I'm more familiar with older Mercedes and BMWs...my sister has two high mileage Mercedes ('84 500SEL and '91 300CE) and they have been money pits over the decade she's had them and now they are paperweights in my back carport.   My BMW experience was much better.   Though I'm seriously thinking of going back to the blue oval for my next car...

I wouldn't trust a Jaguar on a 20 mile trip...heard too many horror stories.. :)   Cadillacs and my Jeep have been good to me, though.  

That's what they are just stories I own a 1988 XJ6 in tip top shape beautiful condition i keep well maintained do most of the work myself, the AJ6 motors are Bulletproof

Ah yes the Lucas Gremlins like to come in to play once and a while we all know the jokes about Jaguars and electrical that is true but the mechanics are top notch 

my other car Nissan 03 Altima has had more problems than my jag

When I go out of town I prefer to take my Jag it all about Maintenance and knowing your Car 

A car is just another car but a Jaguar is Jaguar ??

Thanks XJ6?

Note: no I would not buy a Jaguar being built today heck their not even Britsh Sir and don't trust them 

My Grail car I like to own today would be  the Audi RS7 ?

I need something I can drive everyday but also hop in and take a cross country road trip if I want to.. I don't trust my 15 yr old cars now (too many miles, had too many major issues), and my 4 yr old Cadillac being a now-obsolete model concerns me... time for something new for me..and something that gets 30-35mpg would be nice, better than the 16-25 I get now, esp. if I have a 50-75 mile daily round trip for work...even thought about doing something really radical and getting a diesel Jetta wagon (in brown of course).

Edited by Rob Hall