Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

This was actually Wednesday. A friend of mine sent me a kit. My wife watched the postal carrier walk across the yard, along our ramp, stand at the end of the porch, throw my box to the door, a 6-8 foot throw, instead of walking up the ramp and placing it at the door. Box had 3 Dents in it, as did the kit box. Kit contents are fine. Our postal service at its finest I guess. Took boxes to po and complained and showed them damage. 

This was actually Wednesday. A friend of mine sent me a kit. My wife watched the postal carrier walk across the yard, along our ramp, stand at the end of the porch, throw my box to the door, a 6-8 foot throw, instead of walking up the ramp and placing it at the door. Box had 3 Dents in it, as did the kit box. Kit contents are fine. Our postal service at its finest I guess. Took boxes to po and complained and showed them damage. 

I have a curbside mailbox but if a package is too big, my USPS carrier will walk all the way up the driveway and to the front covered porch. UPS is another story. They'll back the truck up the driveway and toss it onto the pavement from the drivers seat! I had a box roll under a car and not be noticed until it got soggy!

Usually they drive up the driveway, walk up the 15 feet of ramp, place the package on the porch. Not this guy. parked on the street by the mailbox, walked across the yard, stood at the end of the porch and threw the box.

Until we meet in another port, I pray you have fair winds and following seas my shipmates.

G

Goin somewhere G ?

usmc-home_of_the_free-2.png

Until we meet in another port, I pray you have fair winds and following seas my shipmates.

G

No, just saddened by the loss of four young Marines.

G

I had a similar problem a few years ago, but from a ruptured foundation, that allowed tons of water in, right where  a large stash off kits was located. Soggy boxes, and instructions, and decals ruined, but the kits themselves were of course fine, so no big deal really as I usually use AM decals anyway.

Busted waterlines.....I'm by no means a plumber, but i got the water stopped, and fixed everything. The water got a good part of my kit stash:angry:. Any of you guys looking for some soggy kits???

Sorry to hear that, I lost a lot of books that way many years back.

You can send those kits out here to Montana - they will be dried up in just a few hrs.

Yeah , i figure the Big Sky country would dry them out pretty quick. :P I still need to go down and inspect the damage to all the other stuff. It may have just gotten the boxes.  I see a move for my stash in my future.:rolleyes: Could have been worse, i guess.

Weeds!   I go through all the gardens every week (more like constantly) and man, there's friggin weeds a few inches tall already.  This is especially a bad season since there's been lots of rain followed by heat and sunshine.    If weeds were worth money I'd be a millionaire! 

I had a similar problem a few years ago, but from a ruptured foundation, that allowed tons of water in, right where  a large stash off kits was located. Soggy boxes, and instructions, and decals ruined, but the kits themselves were of course fine, so no big deal really as I usually use AM decals anyway.

I can identify. Several years back, I was working out of town for an extender period, only came back infrequently for quite some time. Turns out that my basement had been leaking through a side wall, and a large part of my things in storage were destroyed...including all my family photos, antiques my parents had, and some irreplaceable vintage parts...including a Lamborghini crankshaft worth about $10k. Insurance refused to cover most of it, citing my negligence in allowing everything to stay wet for so long. Never mind I was out of town for close to 2 years.

My yard service this morning noticed I have a broken water line in my front yard...not one of the sprinkler lines.  Yay...got to call to the city (probably not available till Monday).... definitely something is leaking out there..

from personal experience (in Arizona), the city will tell you that if the leak is between the city main and your house that you have to deal with it.

I suggest you deal with it fast because that water bill will get huge real fast, I know that from experience too...my front yard got real spongey right where the grass was greenest.

Had a leak in the same spot maybe 4 years ago, IIRC it was someone from the city that fixed it then..I remember talking w/ him about the water department..(I worked on the water department website during a 6 month gig in '08). 

Edited by Rob Hall

Had a leak in the same spot maybe 4 years ago, IIRC it was someone from the city that fixed it then..I remember talking w/ him about the water department..(I worked on the water department website during a 6 month gig in '08). 

Guy from the water department came out..twice. Said it's a mild leak, they will get to it in the 2-3 weeks and that it's the next door neighbor's water line (such it is with pie shaped yards in a psuedo cul-de-sac)... and he doesn't have sprinklers, but artificial turf.

Today's irk?     I went out front this morning to discover that the deer ate the tops off the supposed deer proof perennials that I just planted!  All the purdy purple flowers are all gone now!

My brother lived in a suburb of Cleveland for many years, and the deer population there did several (estimated) hundreds of thousands of dollars damage annually, including damaged cars from collisions with them.

Weeds!   I go through all the gardens every week (more like constantly) and man, there's friggin weeds a few inches tall already.  This is especially a bad season since there's been lots of rain followed by heat and sunshine.    If weeds were worth money I'd be a millionaire! 

Tom, if you can find a product called Pro Deuce it will end your weed problem. It is mixed with water and put in a sprayer. Keep it off the plants and it will kill the weeds quick and keep them from coming back for the year. I always have weeds coming up through my rocks here in Arizona so I spray every year and I am done. You will have to go to a Landscaping place as I don't believe you will find in in your local home store.

IMG_3795-vi.jpg

Kevin,  gangs of deer terrorize our neighborhood daily!  

IMG_3798-vi.jpg

So tame that they just walk up the middle of the street in daylight.

IMG_1797-vi.jpg

They even pose for pictures!  Seriously!  They'll stand there.   All photos taken on my front lawn.

Edited by Tom Geiger
Erased a stray word

Today was the day for car drama.  I got about a mile from home in the Jeep when the temp gauge maxed out and steam started boiling out from under the hood and out the dash vents.   Limped back home and found the radiator hose had popped off.  Waited until 7 when my local repair shop opened, they came out, reattached the hose and added water and drove it to the shop..got off cheap, new radiator and thermostat.    Meanwhile I drove to work in my DTS, in which the A/C is now blowing warm air...fun, fun...