Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

Had to leave my car at my mechanic's tonight for what he figures will be just over $1,100 worth of work. And he's the best and cheapest mechanic I know. For that price, the old Buick is getting a new water pump, serpentine belt, valve cover and intake manifold gaskets, plus a new plastic intake plenum. Not bad for a car with 122,000 miles on it, that still runs great. It's a 2000 LeSabre with the 3800 V-6. Overall it's been a cheap car to keep running. This is the first real major work, if you can call it that, made to the engine. So I really shouldn't complain. Still, a nice chunk of change I was hoping not to spend.

Thankfully I finished my Christmas shopping this year, before Thanksgiving. So, it won't be as big of a burden as it could be at this time of year.

Hard to beleive my Buick is now 16 years old. It still runs and looks great. I'm hoping it can go at least 16 years before I need to replace it. I'm that happy with the car.

That's a lot of work for  very good price. Hold on to that mechanic! :)

My '99 Montana van left home this afternoon on a flat bed... no start condition. Good battery, tight connections, all fuses are good, yet very dim lights and nothing in the start position. :( 

It has some electrical gremlins, but for the $1350 I have invested in it (including tires!) over the last four years, it's been a super vehicle.

Had to leave my car at my mechanic's tonight for what he figures will be just over $1,100 worth of work. And he's the best and cheapest mechanic I know. For that price, the old Buick is getting a new water pump, serpentine belt, valve cover and intake manifold gaskets, plus a new plastic intake plenum. Not bad for a car with 122,000 miles on it, that still runs great. It's a 2000 LeSabre with the 3800 V-6. Overall it's been a cheap car to keep running. This is the first real major work, if you can call it that, made to the engine. So I really shouldn't complain. Still, a nice chunk of change I was hoping not to spend.

Thankfully I finished my Christmas shopping this year, before Thanksgiving. So, it won't be as big of a burden as it could be at this time of year.

Hard to beleive my Buick is now 16 years old. It still runs and looks great. I'm hoping it can go at least 16 years before I need to replace it. I'm that happy with the car.

Apparently, the Series II 3800 has the same problem with those intake gaskets the 3100/3400 have; I guess the design is similar, so similar problems are to be expected. That aside, it's still a 3800, which is a fantastic, well-designed, strong engine that returns great mileage and will run a long time, as long as the bearings didn't wash. They blew the 3100s in my dad's Cutlass Cruiser and my mom's Lumina; both got new used engines with the gasket replaced prior to installation; with that, Dad was running his with a questionable gasket for about 45,000 miles and it finally seized at 209k. 

How's the underside and rockers? I've noticed around here that a lot of those cars have rust at the subframe assembly areas, rockers and behind the bumpers. If you can get it around there, I would suggest Fluid-Film to help control the corrosion. We put two grand into Mom's car to have the all the rust, dings and dents removed and a fresh paint job at MAACO. If you're looking to avoid a car payment, while not "cheap," it might help you get that next 16 years out of it.

Charlie Larkin

That's a lot of work for  very good price. Hold on to that mechanic! :)

My '99 Montana van left home this afternoon on a flat bed... no start condition. Good battery, tight connections, all fuses are good, yet very dim lights and nothing in the start position. :( 

It has some electrical gremlins, but for the $1350 I have invested in it (including tires!) over the last four years, it's been a super vehicle.

Sorry to hear about your electrical problems. They sometimes can be hard to find right away.

And, yea I'm not giving up my present mechanic for anything. He's not only relatively cheap. But he's very good. The first time I meet him about eight years ago, I was having a minor, but irritating problem with the same car. I know a little bit about fixing the old stuff. But, very little about the new. Another car buddy brought me over to meet this mechanic. We told him the symptoms, and speculated on the cures. He turned to us, and told us both that we did know what we were talking about, and he knew exactly what the problem was and how to fix it. And guess what? He did! He fixed it quickly and cheaply. I've been sold on him ever since.

I've had such great experiences with this mechanic since. He fixes things right the first time, at a price I can afford. I've ended up sending several friends to him. They've all had the same experience with him. Plus, he's an interesting guy to just sit around and talk with. A little opinionated, and not afraid to disagree with you. And I may disagree with him on several things. But, I like and respect him. Plus his wife, who works in the office of his shop, is sweet lady, who is always pleasant to talk with too. What more can one ask for?

Apparently, the Series II 3800 has the same problem with those intake gaskets the 3100/3400 have; I guess the design is similar, so similar problems are to be expected. That aside, it's still a 3800, which is a fantastic, well-designed, strong engine that returns great mileage and will run a long time, as long as the bearings didn't wash. They blew the 3100s in my dad's Cutlass Cruiser and my mom's Lumina; both got new used engines with the gasket replaced prior to installation; with that, Dad was running his with a questionable gasket for about 45,000 miles and it finally seized at 209k. 

How's the underside and rockers? I've noticed around here that a lot of those cars have rust at the subframe assembly areas, rockers and behind the bumpers. If you can get it around there, I would suggest Fluid-Film to help control the corrosion. We put two grand into Mom's car to have the all the rust, dings and dents removed and a fresh paint job at MAACO. If you're looking to avoid a car payment, while not "cheap," it might help you get that next 16 years out of it.

Charlie Larkin

I agree with you 100% on the 3800. One of GM's best engine designs ever. With my LeSabre I get low 20's around town. And a consistent 30 mpg on the highway. Who can complain about that? And so far my car is showing very little rust. The only real problem I've had with rust, is one spot where the car was damaged in an accident years ago and repaired. There are also signs below the gas filler. Not really rust yet. But, I fixed it before it could getting going there. An area were one commonly sees problems on this car.

I love my LeSabre. And as noted above, I have one of the greatest mechanics in the world taking care of it. I see no reason why I shouldn't be driving this same car 16 years from now.

Thanks for the heads-up on the Fluid Film product, Charlie. I've been looking for a locally-available replacement for the spraycan cosmoline-like stuff I can't get here anymore. I'll give it a shot. 

I've heard nothing but good stuff about it. I'm going to try and get my Lumina treated before the snow flies. 

There are a few distributors around the country, and a lot of NAPA stores sell it.

If you have trouble getting it down there, let me know, I think I know a couple of places up this way that handle it.

Charlie Larkin

I've heard nothing but good stuff about it. I'm going to try and get my Lumina treated before the snow flies. 

There are a few distributors around the country, and a lot of NAPA stores sell it.

If you have trouble getting it down there, let me know, I think I know a couple of places up this way that handle it.

Charlie Larkin

Can you tell us snow belt stuck people a little bit more about this? What exactly is it? And how is it applied? Also how costly is it?

Edited by unclescott58

Can you tell us snow belt stuck people a little bit more about this? What exactly is it? And how is it applied? Also how costly is it?

It's lanolin-based as opposed to a solvent. Rust prevention and also corrosion barrier. Good stuff, especially if you use it on new floorboards underneath and then undercoat it. http://www.fluid-film.com

There's one garage around here that does it. I need to call them and get an idea. Although there might be some differences based on location, it'll at least give you an idea.

Charlie Larkin

If I can listen to my neighbors dog, he can listen to my leaf blower, my snow thrower, and my lawn mower as well.

Cheers ?

To the person who hijacked this thread and edited it and put in words that I did not is wrong 

please leave this thread alone I have a good clue to who you are 

Harry I will  send  you a PM message about this thread being hijacked and hope to get this solved I find this to be to be terribly wrong to edit some ones else's post and put words in there that are lies ?

Edited by XJ6
This post hijacked (edited) by someone

Apparently GM hired Chrysler's rejects to design their ignition switch parts. The PT Cruiser (and MANY more Chrysler Corporate products of the era) have this idiotic "ignition switch actuator pin" assembly that fails with no warning, is an overly complicated piece of stupidly-designed plastic crapp, could have been made of decent materials to last forever...cheaply...and the dealership wants to replace the ENTIRE STEERING COLUMN to fix a part I can buy aftermarket for about $30.

My friend who just had to cover $1000 out-of-pocket on a warranty-replacement of an O'Reilly's water pump (lifetime warranty, lasted 10 months ...free replacement pump, but NOT the $900 to put it in, yet...) has been bent over by the dealer because of a no-start condition common to these old Mopars, but she pulled the car out before they stuck it in. I have the car here now, and should have it running again shortly, for less than $100.

The world is run by thieves and idiots.

PS. When I got the car here, I looked at the coolant level and what do you know...it's straight WATER...no antifreeze. GREAT frigging "mechanic" who did the water pump replacement (because I simply had no time) and couldn't be bothered to actually put anti-freeze back in the thing, who also replaced BOTH the inner and outer tie-rod ends when I told him SPECIFICALLY to replace the right-inner ONLY.

I AM SICK OF MORONS, SLACKERS AND CROOKS EVERYWHERE.

well leaf blowers annoy me not only for the racket the create and people have the right to use them my neighbor has that right also but yesterday he came over to my side from Cross the Street and with the Leaf Blower I went out side and told him to get that BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH thing off my side from the house and he began to yell at me Telling me to keep my leafs cleaned up and not to blow on his property well this became a very heated argument with him threatened to whip this ole mans butt ha he 20yrs younger than me but Has with any one, do not threat to fight and say you will do me harm unless you mean it so I took my coat off and challenged him well it was sure funny to see the guy run back in his house with the leaf blower laying in the street 

well some one one called the Cops think it was him saying I was threatening to put a whooping on him but has I pointed out to the officers his property (leaf blower) was on my property and he came over and to me and started on this  trouble 

lived here over year and a half first time I ever spoke to the clown been told by others to stay away from this guy not friendly 

So yes i like the leaves on the ground it's pretty to see the colors 

I have a lawn service that comes by every 2 weeks I have a very small yard I use them because they use a Rake 

ok that is my Rant and Rave for the Day 

Cheers ?

Sorry to hear that you have "neighbor troubles" as that's not good and something that I try hard to avoid. Around here, I don't think that any landscape service uses a rake anymore.

For the most part I get along w/ my neighbors, though I rarely speak to them....the houses on each side of me have been heavily remodeled in the last few years (one twice--interior walls removed/rconfigured, windows removed, new kitchens, bathrooms,etc), Had to deal with a lot of construction noise, traffic and dust....probably 60-75% of the houses on my street (all circa 1952 originally) have been remodeled in the last 5 years...which is good for property values in my neighborhood.... 

Speaking as one who has and uses a leaf blower ( electric ) I try to be considerate. I am retired so I use it only on weekdays when most of the neighbors are at work. I used a rake for a few years but here in Arizona most of us have gravel yards. Have you ever tried to rake up the stuff that blows into the yard or falls from the trees without getting 20 pounds of rock ? Blower works much better.

Stupid Bears lost to the 49ers. :angry:

With TWO seconds left in regulation, all the Bears had to do was kick an easy 37 yard FG to win it. Just like an extra point. Simple. Heck, even I could kick a 37 yard FG. But Robbie Gould, who almost never misses, missed. To OT we go.

And in OT, the 49ers QB, who I've never even heard of, throws a 75 yard TD pass.

And with that loss, any chance of the Bears making the playoffs pretty much died. :rolleyes:

Sheesh...

Stupid Bears lost to the 49ers. :angry:

With TWO seconds left in regulation, all the Bears had to do was kick an easy 37 yard FG to win it. Just like an extra point. Simple. Heck, even I could kick a 37 yard FG. But Robbie Gould, who almost never misses, missed. To OT we go.

And in OT, the 49ers QB, who I've never even heard of, throws a 75 yard TD pass.

And with that loss, any chance of the Bears making the playoffs pretty much died. :rolleyes:

Sheesh...

C'mon Harry, you know that every football game is just a "crapshoot."

Well, this game was BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH for sure! :lol:

I didn't have time for the Bears game today Harry as I went with a couple of friends to a model car swap/contest and then to Hooters for lunch, as I just love dem wings. Guess I'll have to watch the highlights of the game on the news, and read about it in the paper tomorrow.