Model Cars Magazine Forum

1948 Ford F1

The plastic in this original issue Revell kit was so swirl-free and nicely coloured that I decided not to paint it, just fine sand and polish it.
It has Satco tyres and a few other small refinements like the mirror and the tail-gate chains.
I stripped the chrome-plated grille, drilled out it's headlight buckets and painted it silver. I then replaced the headlights with Monogram 55 T/Bird items.

IMG_2675-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

IMG_2676-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

edit8_8_18-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

edit38_8_17-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

edit28_9-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Edited by peekay

My theory is that if they made all colored plastic bodies as good as this there'd be more people starting in this hobby. My other theory is that you (peekay) put as much work into polishing this one as some folks (me) put into painted ones.

You're probably right on both counts.

Getting into spray painting can present a major hurdle to the young modeller. There might be the willingness to learn but it can create chaos if you don't know what you're doing - and Mum isn't going to like it. Everything else can be done on the kitchen table with minimum mess and fuss. Round2 have recognized this and now bring out two versions of some models, one in white, the other in colour. (eg. the Opel GT)

And yes, polishing an unpainted model to a high standard can take at least as long, if not longer, than painting one. But being a complete styrene addict, I like working with bare plastic and there's something about the finished look that appeals to me. But you won't often find a suitable cadidate - most kits are molded in the colour "Drab" and when you do find one in a colour you like it has to be swirl-free and not need any filler.