Model Cars Magazine Forum

Iowa Shaker

rv1963

Hi guys it's been a long time since I posted any of my builds, you know how it is life gets in the way.

A few pics I of my Iowa Shaker build, the first is just the box art for those who don't know the kit, the second is a pic of the raw engine showing the big gaps in between the intake and heads and the lack of a decent water pump, the third pic shows the scratch built water pump and some of the work filling the gaps, any and all comments welcome.

Shacker5.jpg

Shacker2.jpg

Shacker4-1.jpg

Edited by rv1963

Shaker27.jpg

Shaker28.jpg

Shaker29.jpg

Shaker30.jpg

Time for an update. The first 2 pics are of the engine with many changes and details added, scratch built magneto, pulleys and belts, fuel lines plug wires and a few others.

The third pic shows the body with 2 large plastic bulges on the radiator support and the 2 straps of plastic I think to hold up the hood, both have to go, these items are removed in the last pic and I added some strip plastic on the lip of the fender wells to hold up the hood.

The engine still needs to have the paint touched up in a few spots than I think it will be done.

Edited by rv1963

Time for a small update, I have been working on the chassis.

I used lots of scrap plastic sheet to fill the gaps between the chassis and the body and there was a huge gap between the firewall and the body of the car that was also filled.

I still need to fill the seems and do a little more test fitting before I am done.

Shaker32.jpg

Time for another update, got some color on the body Tamiya metallic blue TS-19 I think it looks pretty good, to bad it was a waste of time because I forgot to strip the chrome trim off the side of the body. This is the first time I have made such a big mistake like this.

The correction may not be so simple if just strip the side trim off and not strip the paint off the rest of the body I may get two different shades when I re spray the body.

Shaker33.jpg

Edited by rv1963

Time for another update.

I fixed the side trim problem by removing it with a mini set of chisels, sand paper and a lot of scraping, both pics below of the almost finished body, all the chrome decals and windows added, just a few minor details to do after the body is mounted.

All comments welcome

Shaker35.jpg

Shaker36.jpg

Time for an update, I got the interior pretty much finished it's a little plain and boring so I added the seat belts, gas ,brake and clutch pedals, also added a tach on the dash. The kit came with only one seat and it appeared to me to be to small and out of scale so I swapped in a pair from the Revell Henry J dragster. I will try to take better pics next time, all comments welcome.

Shaker38.jpg

Shaker37.jpg

Edited by rv1963

Thanks Bill, thanks Glenn.

I Had a lot of trouble finding good pics for reference, but what I found also tells me that the rims are wrong, the kit comes with deep dish steal wheels for the rear and a vintage type rail front spoke mag.

I will replace all 4 wheels with Cragers and the hard plastic tires with the Henry J slicks and skinny fronts.

I got a lot of the work on the chassis done, still need to add shocks under the rear axle and a few other parts but I am almost there. The interior is glued to the chassis and it appears to fit pretty good with the body. all comments welcome.

Shaker41.jpg

Shaker42.jpg

Edited by rv1963